Return to 3 buck limit but....

Land Between the Lakes

I kind of like the 2 buck rule. But do you all think TN will go to a 1 buck rule one day?

I live in the Murray, KY area right along the Tennessee border. We have a 1 buck rule here in KY. I do think it saves thousands of bucks each season from being taken by hunters. But sometimes I wish we had a 2 buck rule here in KY, that way we could at least have the option of taking another buck if we wanted each season.

Winchester

Land Between the Lakes":1vtwlb1v said:
I kind of like the 2 buck rule. But do you all think TN will go to a 1 buck rule one day?

I live in the Murray, KY area right along the Tennessee border. We have a 1 buck rule here in KY. I do think it saves thousands of bucks each season from being taken by hunters. But sometimes I wish we had a 2 buck rule here in KY, that way we could at least have the option of taking another buck if we wanted each season.
Absolutely, TN will have a 1 buck limit in the near future (5 yrs or less). Too many TV show watching wanna be's who think the bag limits will make them successful at killing mature bucks!

deer hunter 21

I'm no biologist but too me if 1000 hunters tag out 3 bucks a year then now it's 2 bucks so you save a 1000 bucks per season and that does create more opportunities and for the people that says they are not trophy hunters and just want the meat then shoot a doe because the horns are a waste to you anyways. I will shoot a couple of does for meat then wait on a decent buck and if I go through the season and don't see the buck I want then I will just eat that tag, I'm not saying thats how you should do it that's just how I do it.

jb357

deer hunter 21":1hpg7x91 said:
I'm no biologist but too me if 1000 hunters tag out 3 bucks a year then now it's 2 bucks so you save a 1000 bucks per season and that does create more opportunities and for the people that says they are not trophy hunters and just want the meat then shoot a doe because the horns are a waste to you anyways. I will shoot a couple of does for meat then wait on a decent buck and if I go through the season and don't see the buck I want then I will just eat that tag, I'm not saying thats how you should do it that's just how I do it.
This is the logic that doesn't seem to register in the minds of the people that say the 2 buck limit won't help trophy hunters. If less bucks are shot, more are allowed to mature and reach their potential. It seems pretty simple to me. But then again I'm just a no good sorry deer educating trophy bowhunter

Headhunter

Winchester":2n01efdd said:
deer hunter 21":2n01efdd said:
Nobody has answered my question yet, what is the big advantage about the 3rd buck?
Its an opportunity that every deer hunter in the state had at their disposal if they got the chance to use it. It wasn't being abused or overused and was simply another opportunity for those who got the chance to use it. The #'s from last yr prove this as we killed more immature bucks with a 2 buck limit than we did previously with the 3 buck limit. Hunters were already self policing themselves with the 3 buck limit and being conservative on what they shot voluntarily. NO NEED for more restrictions.

Except for the fact immature bucks were being OVERKILLED. At some point it does make sense to try and give some number of young bucks a chance to live. Trophy hunting has nothing to do with it. The fact that EVERY single DAY land is lost and there are fewer and fewer places to hunt and from that alone the number of hunters is increasing in that the areas to hunt are smaller. Making the "3 buck limit" wishers back off a hair and pass a buck is not a bad thing, as a matter of fact it is a great thing. To me, the best thing it does, especially on public land, which to me should be 1 buck per year anyways (whether per WMA or statewide), is give a new hunter, or a juvenile, or someone who does not get to hunt very often, etc. a chance to kill that buck whatever size he is, if the limit is higher and that buck is dead I can tell you what chances the types of hunters listed above are of them killing that buck.

I am sorry, I disagree. I have heard for so long from the "experts", notably BSK and BGG (there is a reason he is no longer with the TWRA) how as a state we killed more "mature" bucks than any other surrounding state, which from I what heard Chuck Yoest say in the video was NOT true, so your statement that with a 2 buck limit the immature buck kill went up is wrong because it is not really known anyways. From my view, it is almost impossible to know, but what I personally see, immature bucks have been the majority of the kill for a long time. Is it necessarily bad that it happens? probably not. Is it good thing (in a time that hunting land being lost by the thousands of acres every single day) to back off the limit by 1 to give the hunters listed above a chance to see and possibly kill that buck and in the process maybe enabling some number of bucks to get some age? I think it is. Does it mean those bucks will even be seen much less killed (well if you believed what BSK and BGG said, we would be killing even more mature bucks because there should be more of them with a 2 buck limit since we were the leading mature buck killing state for years)? Nope, but if they are alive at least there is a chance to see them, I can tell you the chances are of hunting for them and maybe killing one when they are killed?

As far as the manned check stations go, great idea. Is using the numbers the best idea? Nope. People who kill a great buck will find a manned check station to get their buck aged and looked at, where a majority of those who kill an immature buck will go to a station (now just check online) where no one sees it and that has been true for as long as I have been hunting. On top that, if you have more than one qualified person who ages deer by the teeth age a deer, the number of qualified people aging deer could and many times is different depending on who ages the deer.

Headhunter

Winchester":182ydgpp said:
Land Between the Lakes":182ydgpp said:

Absolutely, TN will have a 1 buck limit in the near future (5 yrs or less). Too many TV show watching wanna be's who think the bag limits will make them successful at killing mature bucks!

If you believed what the TWRA and BSK and BGG were telling us Tennessee hunters were already successful at killing mature bucks, more than any other surrounding state and I remember BGG stating we killed mature bucks percentage wise than any other state in the US. So yep, it is going to get better if you believe them.

I personally believe Chuck got it right when he said the percentage of immature bucks killed in Tennessee if high, actually higher than any other surrounding state.

As far as being successful at killing mature bucks, that depends on many things and it for sure isn't easy, at least there are mature bucks alive you can hunt them, a lot more fun than them not even being alive to hunt.

jb357

Headhunter":yvzkqgpo said:
Winchester":yvzkqgpo said:
Land Between the Lakes":yvzkqgpo said:

If you believed what the TWRA and BSK and BGG were telling us Tennessee hunters were already successful at killing mature bucks, more than any other surrounding state and I remember BGG stating we killed mature bucks percentage wise than any other state in the US. So yep, it is going to get better if you believe them.

I personally believe Chuck got it right when he said the percentage of immature bucks killed in Tennessee if high, actually higher than any other surrounding state.

As far as being successful at killing mature bucks, that depends on many things and it for sure isn't easy, at least there are mature bucks alive you can hunt them, a lot more fun than them not even being alive to hunt.
Saying that TN was killing more mature bucks that surrounding states was one of the more laughable claims I've seen. BSK and the other so called "gurus" were one of the main reasons I left this site a few years ago.

Winchester

I totally agree, I highly doubt TN is or has been anywhere near the top of states for # of mature bucks killed. I could care less what anybody else said on here or anywhere else. Now for the facts, TN has used the same method for data collection for years now, with the same type of people collecting it, nothing changed except the buck limit went from 3 to 2. We Killed more young bucks last yr than in years past!!!! No argument to be made, it didn't keep ANY more young bucks alive than did the 3 buck limit! TN hunters have a mindset of what they want to shoot and simply dropping the buck limit by 1 buck wont make a measurable difference, now going all the way to 1 would make the change so many so called trophy hunters want to see. (which by the way is a small % of all hunters in TN) Will it make these same hunters better, able to consistently kill mature bucks? NO! Mature bucks are out there in good huntable #'s in many parts of the state right now, have been for years now. If you cant consistently kill them now, buck limits will NOT make you able to do so! Why limit so many TN hunters for a few to think they have a better chance?? Sharpen your skills not your pencil!
All this said, I don't shoot young bucks on purpose, rarely kill 3 mature bucks a yr in TN, but I don't want to limit the guys who choose to do so when its simply not needed and was done in a back door deal to boot.
Another quick fact, Immature bucks have NOT been "overkilled" in TN since the limit was dropped from 11, and our age class of bucks has been improving for years now. All these facts coming from the TWRA data, which is ALL we have to go on.

Headhunter

I don't care what the limit is, I prefer 2, I can say I don't care because I haven't tried to influence the commission, the twra, etc. (I did call and thank Chuck because I believe he is a good guy) in anyway. I am going to hunt as long as it is legal to do so. To me there if for sure an argument to be made, saying the 2 buck limit caused more young bucks to be killed than were in years previous has ZERO basis, no facts to back that up other than the "SKEWED" data from check stations manned by the TWRA, not bashing the TWRA, I just don't think there is way to financially or manpower wise to have accurate data.

knightrider

[/quote]
Saying that TN was killing more mature bucks that surrounding states was one of the more laughable claims I've seen. BSK and the other so called "gurus" were one of the main reasons I left this site a few years ago.[/quote]feel free to do so again anytime you wish :pop:

Tennessee Lead

Saying that TN was killing more mature bucks that surrounding states was one of the more laughable claims I've seen. BSK and the other so called "gurus" were one of the main reasons I left this site a few years ago.[/quote]feel free to do so again anytime you wish :pop:[/quote]
[emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cbhunter

unless I cant read, that post said that more IMMATURE bucks were killed here than surrounding states. lol, I'm good with whatever they want the limit to be. if I want meat, the opportunity is there, if I want a buck, I can kill two. if they move it to 1 buck or 3 bucks, I'm not going to complain.

Vermin93

6487024c9b60ddeff3a20cf154e6e56d.png

e899ad22fe107d51d01cace5e1538c74.png

d8f9799bbb4186c7b2a6756ea8722c9d.png

8b93723e9c98b9b3df6552c78d87a69e.png

a250e060f85b1f9c369bfa0fc3599bee.png

e135547328f2502dcd7a508343bd7d89.png

jotahech

I would prefer a 1 buck limit over a 3. Way too many young deer taken. Point limit increase at given numbers of bucks taken would be nice as well up to an 8 point minimum after 10 bucks. Limit on does for a season. I know guys that kill 20+. Seems conservation is not really in their forte.

jb357

Tennessee Lead":3m6c96ay said:
Saying that TN was killing more mature bucks that surrounding states was one of the more laughable claims I've seen. BSK and the other so called "gurus" were one of the main reasons I left this site a few years ago.
feel free to do so again anytime you wish :pop:[/quote]
[emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/quote]
Is there anything else I can do for you while I'm on my way out? :moon:

Latest posts