Dedicated to one buck

Bgoodman30

I have been buck hunting for 7 years and I have killed a good one almost every year, last year 2. I have a target list and focus all my efforts on number one.. Right now I am 0-7 even though I have been able to see my target buck almost every year and had multiple opportunities just can't seem to get my hands on him...

hbg1

Let me preface by saying I'm blessed with good private land that I'm pretty much the only one that hunts. With that said if I get a picture or two of a buck I consider mature and has the antlers Im happy with I get him more often than not.

tellico4x4

Definitely a target buck guy, but usually have 2-3 each year that I'd shoot. If I kill one of them then I'm done for the year except killing couple does for meat. I wouldn't shoot one of the others if he walked up to me the next day. If it means that I go 3-4 years between bucks, that's very fine with me. My enjoyment is more hunting him than killing. At 70 years old, I've probably killed more than my fair share and eating tag soup just doesn't bother me. I certainly don't hunt as hard as I use too, but probably hunt more than most. Just came home from camp today and was there 28 days out of 31. Planning on going back first of week for rest of season. Had 3 this year on my list and a buddy killed #2 a couple days ago. I went back & looked at pics of #3 and decided he really could use another year, so he'll get a pass if I see him. Beginning to think that my #1 may be a ghost, but plan on sticking with him for rest of year. Really need a major wind shift as these E-SE ones are killing me 😂. Had him at 20 yards late last year & couldn't shoot...

Have passed on four or five good 4+yr olds so far with no regrets whatsoever. Whatever the outcome is this year, I will have spent Nov-mid Jan hunting and it doesn't get any better imo.

Have 3 grandsons that hunt with me and I get a much bigger thrill when they kill a good one, as opposed to me killing my target.

Ski

There are years when I might have 5 or 6 shooters I'm after and that makes it much easier. If it's only 1 or 2 good ones I have a lead on then it can become more monotonous. I am currently 2 seasons in and over 60 sets in on one deer. It's been a roller coaster ride but when I feel frustration creep in I change up and hit a different piece with my longbow to give myself a reset.

For sure it helps having back up plans for your backup plans. Good thing is bucks get older every year so there's always a new crop to hunt. For me it's all about staying familiar with enough different spots that I have options when a buck disappears or gets killed. Happened once this season. He got killed before I started hunting him so I had to readjust and start hunting a different buck. Then the second one got his beam broke off. No other bucks I want so I'll just wait til next year. Goes like that sometimes.

tree_ghost

For sure it helps having back up plans for your backup plans. For me it's all about staying familiar with enough different spots that I have options when a buck disappears or gets killed.
IMO this is the most important piece of the puzzle for consistent killing of big bucks. When you boil it down it's simply a statistical advantage you have in achieving your goal.

Dumbluck

Target bucks really are my only focus, I'll shoot does at the end of the season for meat but my buck tags only go on a deer I've been tracking or attempting to track. Do I have just one per season? Sometimes but I prefer to have at least 2, some years I have 1, some 2, and exceptional years 3 on tabs but anything over 2 is extremely rare. If I have none, I scout and find one and then get permission to hunt him. I haven't ever just sat back and said well nothing is on the land I have now, I guess I won't hunt. I will find new land and scout until I find a deer to hunt, and I have had exceptional land have zero shooters for extended time periods.

Most of the bucks I target I've watched and passed up over the years, most of the ones I hope make it do not but sometimes I get lucky and a high end young deer hits maturity. But the big key for me is I've been gathering data on them in that time period which has lead to most of my success. The buck I killed this year mirrored what he did last year but just moved his core area slightly, but his move was actually better for me because it placed him more on my hunting land. I knew I had to kill him before the rut went full bore because he was a rut range shifter. I think alot like Ski and if I know he's there, I go after him. I won't hunt him wrong but I will hunt him even on days that most people think are a low chance of success. The main thing I need to know on most of these deer is how they use the land; if I have a good idea on that, and I have a good idea on where he is bedding that deer is as good as dead. That information alone will tell me where I can and can't sit based upon wind directions. This is the main reason I only saddle hunt now or hunt from the ground because I have to be extremely mobile to set up on the different winds and in many instances I'm only 50-100 yards away with opposing wind directions, but in a lot of cases I'm only 20 yards or less. It is the game of inches that I love.

Most of my target bucks are identified after hunting season for the next year assuming they don't die in that time period between the season. I'm basically stockpiling target bucks for each piece of property I hunt. Some of these deer I keep tabs on for years before they become a target others may get on my radar the year before they become a target and rarely they may shift their range to a property I have access to but the later is very rare because older deer typically don't just up and leave an area for a new one in my observations. I've only had one instance where this took place and I believe that buck had been shot by another hunter.

I enjoy hunting this way but it's not for everyone, and it's not even feasible for some. It takes a ton of time, and resources. I think as my kids grow older and start more activities my method of tracking certain deer for years on end will slow down. But trail cameras have been a huge game changer and are a massive tool for me. I remember when I used to do this all through summer scouting when the bucks are in velvet and coming out in the open.

MUP

I don't target specific bucks where I hunt, it's just making hunting a little less fun, for me that is. I hunt what comes along, and if I want to shoot it I will, and if I decide to pass I'll pass. That said, I passed on a heckuva buck this season, after killing a good buck on opening day. After reviewing my video and pics, I kinda had second thoughts on passing him, as he would have likely been my largest 8 pt (7 with a broken main tip) to date. I went back out a couple of times since with the mindset that IF I ever got a chance to see him again, which is slim to none on the mtn where I hunt, I would try to take him. First hunt back out there I passed this guy, waiting for the larger 8. This one was a 9 pt.
VID_20231207_151756141_exported_42838.jpg

BSK

Definitely a target buck guy, but usually have 2-3 each year that I'd shoot. If I kill one of them then I'm done for the year except killing couple does for meat. I wouldn't shoot one of the others if he walked up to me the next day.
This is me. I usually have 2-4 bucks I would gladly kill. If I get one of those, I'm thrilled. And I've had the luck to do that about two-thirds of years over the last 15 years or so.

Ski

Target bucks really are my only focus, I'll shoot does at the end of the season for meat but my buck tags only go on a deer I've been tracking or attempting to track. Do I have just one per season? Sometimes but I prefer to have at least 2, some years I have 1, some 2, and exceptional years 3 on tabs but anything over 2 is extremely rare. If I have none, I scout and find one and then get permission to hunt him. I haven't ever just sat back and said well nothing is on the land I have now, I guess I won't hunt. I will find new land and scout until I find a deer to hunt, and I have had exceptional land have zero shooters for extended time periods.

Most of the bucks I target I've watched and passed up over the years, most of the ones I hope make it do not but sometimes I get lucky and a high end young deer hits maturity. But the big key for me is I've been gathering data on them in that time period which has lead to most of my success. The buck I killed this year mirrored what he did last year but just moved his core area slightly, but his move was actually better for me because it placed him more on my hunting land. I knew I had to kill him before the rut went full bore because he was a rut range shifter. I think alot like Ski and if I know he's there, I go after him. I won't hunt him wrong but I will hunt him even on days that most people think are a low chance of success. The main thing I need to know on most of these deer is how they use the land; if I have a good idea on that, and I have a good idea on where he is bedding that deer is as good as dead. That information alone will tell me where I can and can't sit based upon wind directions. This is the main reason I only saddle hunt now or hunt from the ground because I have to be extremely mobile to set up on the different winds and in many instances I'm only 50-100 yards away with opposing wind directions, but in a lot of cases I'm only 20 yards or less. It is the game of inches that I love.

Most of my target bucks are identified after hunting season for the next year assuming they don't die in that time period between the season. I'm basically stockpiling target bucks for each piece of property I hunt. Some of these deer I keep tabs on for years before they become a target others may get on my radar the year before they become a target and rarely they may shift their range to a property I have access to but the later is very rare because older deer typically don't just up and leave an area for a new one in my observations. I've only had one instance where this took place and I believe that buck had been shot by another hunter.

I enjoy hunting this way but it's not for everyone, and it's not even feasible for some. It takes a ton of time, and resources. I think as my kids grow older and start more activities my method of tracking certain deer for years on end will slow down. But trail cameras have been a huge game changer and are a massive tool for me. I remember when I used to do this all through summer scouting when the bucks are in velvet and coming out in the open.

You articulated it better than I did, but what you describe is exactly how I do it. Soon as I tag out or season closes I am searching for next year's bucks. And most generally they're bucks I have enough history with that I understand their individual behavior & trends. They're really not harder to hunt than any other deer. In fact I find it easier & more predictable pegging a 5yr old than a 3yr old. There just aren't near as many 5yr olds as there are 3yr olds. The hardest part is actually having one to hunt and knowing when to hunt him.

Bushape

You articulated it better than I did, but what you describe is exactly how I do it. Soon as I tag out or season closes I am searching for next year's bucks. And most generally they're bucks I have enough history with that I understand their individual behavior & trends. They're really not harder to hunt than any other deer. In fact I find it easier & more predictable pegging a 5yr old than a 3yr old. There just aren't near as many 5yr olds as there are 3yr olds. The hardest part is actually having one to hunt and knowing when to hunt him.
An additional question for you @Ski , @BSK , and others: early season intel is going to show you what mature deer your property is holding prerut. So would you say your best shot at one of "your " bucks is to blow up a spot prerut or stay out of the spot until you know bucks are on their feet and therefore run the risk of him leaving the area?

Ski

An additional question for you @Ski , @BSK , and others: early season intel is going to show you what mature deer your property is holding prerut. So would you say your best shot at one of "your " bucks is to blow up a spot prerut or stay out of the spot until you know bucks are on their feet and therefore run the risk of him leaving the area?

For me it doesn't matter what time of season it is. If I have good reason to believe I can be within range of him in daylight, then I'm there.

That's the major difference between hunting a specific buck vs hunting a good spot. If you're hunting a spot then you wait until time is right for most bucks. But if you're hunting a specific buck you jump when he's around. Sometimes that also coincides with the spot"s best timing but a lot of times not.

BSK

I don't hit the woods until MZ Opener, so really can't answer your question. The day I start hunting bucks are at their peak activity level their going to be for my hunting time. However, I rarely kill one of the bucks I'm after right off the bat. It usually takes a week or two.

deerhunter10

We quit hunting "prerut" that late October because of the damage it was doing on our places. It seemed we were to early and just one or two hunts if we didn't kill it was unbelievable how much our deer changed to that little bit of pressure compared to just a week or 2 later in November. Imo there's a fine line when it's go time and when it's right on the edge and that's a hard line to decipher some times. Seat time is important, but seat time when things are right are way more important also. Can't kill them on the couch is true but you can booger the hell out of them being dumb about it.

Dumbluck

We quit hunting "prerut" that late October because of the damage it was doing on our places. It seemed we were to early and just one or two hunts if we didn't kill it was unbelievable how much our deer changed to that little bit of pressure compared to just a week or 2 later in November. Imo there's a fine line when it's go time and when it's right on the edge and that's a hard line to decipher some times. Seat time is important, but seat time when things are right are way more important also. Can't kill them on the couch is true but you can booger the hell out of them being dumb about it.
You have to know when to hit at them. Some deer are best to hunt during early season, some during late October, some best at the very end of the season. They are all different, you've got to learn their personality. Some are aggressive, some passive, some territorial, some reclusive, some social. All of that comes into play. The hardest ones to hunt are reclusive and prefer to be alone at all times. I can almost always pick those out during summer when they are in velvet and I know my work is cut out when I see that trait. I'm not real big on putting all my eggs in one basket for assuming a doe will bring one by me during peak rut. I actually think that takes more luck than anything, yes you can hunt great locations to up your odds but I've only killed a couple of target deer with a doe and every time I've been still hunting and actively looking for them holed up with a doe. I prefer to get a shot at them before they pick up their first doe, during that time period I usually have a pretty good pattern on them in most cases. Once that first doe comes in, they may disperse for a couple months sometimes.

megalomaniac

Been 4 years since I had a 'target buck'.

On my farms, you only get 1 tag. Most years I'll shoot.the first 130in 4.5yo that walks by and be happy.

But if we have a deer over 150... im not hunting or shooting anything else the entire season except for that one buck. No way I'm tagging out on a 130in buck if there is a 150in er around.

I enjoy hunting just one particular deer, even if I don't kill him. But I no longer feel the need to kill something to feel ive had a successful hunt. But I suspect part.if that feeling is I watch other bucks fall each season taking my daughters hunting.

Huntaholic

My "target buck" was a regular on camera until the 1st week of Nov. He then went off cam and I feared he was dead. Lol and behold, he showed back up almost 2 weeks ago and has been a regular ever since, even getting daytime pics of him now!
Unless Shag's daughter, my grandchild, decides she wants to go kill him, hes safe until next year.

Dumbluck

Been 4 years since I had a 'target buck'.

On my farms, you only get 1 tag. Most years I'll shoot.the first 130in 4.5yo that walks by and be happy.

But if we have a deer over 150... im not hunting or shooting anything else the entire season except for that one buck. No way I'm tagging out on a 130in buck if there is a 150in er around.

I enjoy hunting just one particular deer, even if I don't kill him. But I no longer feel the need to kill something to feel ive had a successful hunt. But I suspect part.if that feeling is I watch other bucks fall each season taking my daughters hunting.
How many deer do you typically have over 4.5 that you know of?

Latest posts