In relation to the Big Frog buck

Snake

I've mentioned this before and I've heard all sorts of scenarios about guys that kill big bucks being good hunters but those that kill big bucks in these mountains are your true hunters !! Not disrespecting anyone that consistently kills big bucks but those that brave those mountains are of a different breed . Sure there are others that consistently kill big bucks but consider where they kill them . Sure you have to pass smaller bucks hoping that they become mature even in the mountains where your deer sightings are really low . Properties where some hunt either gives you an advantage or it becomes a liability. Those that have access to large acreage where you are the only hunter or very few hunters gives you an advantage over those that hunt property where anyone can hunt . So I think these guys that consistently kill big bucks on public property should be considered your true hunters . Not only you hunt land most don't dare try to hunt because of the rugged terrain and deal with trying to corner a buck that has thousands of acres to roam. Then being fortunate enough to kill one then is the task of getting him out . I can virtually drive to where my deer falls most time I can't even fathom dragging one out of those places .

Ridgeline300

This is one of the places I hunt. 1000's of acres with not a single field, no roads other than old logging roads and not a house for miles. It's tough because it's all a bedding area and it's all a food source so it's hard to pinpoint where to hunt. Just got to stick terrain features that funnel the deer as they try to navigate through this wilderness. Very few deer and I won't even see one at all some days.

Attachments

• IMG_4277.png
    IMG_4277.png
    380.4 KB · Views: 22

tahtah

This is one of the places I hunt. 1000's of acres with not a single field, no roads other than old logging roads and not a house for miles. It's tough because it's all a bedding area and it's all a food source so it's hard to pinpoint where to hunt. Just got to stick terrain features that funnel the deer as they try to navigate through this wilderness. Very few deer and I won't even see one at all some days.

And you didn't even mention having to deal with Bigfoot right smack in the middle of all that!

Ridgeline300

And you didn't even mention having to deal with Bigfoot right smack in the middle of all that!
I'm convinced he's in there! That's why I carry the magnum, lol! There's definitely lots of hogs and some bears. I've killed hogs in there. It's a little freaky feeling in there at times, lol. There's parts that a man hadn't step foot on in no telling how long, at least that's how I feel at times.

Mattt

I've mentioned this before and I've heard all sorts of scenarios about guys that kill big bucks being good hunters but those that kill big bucks in these mountains are your true hunters !! Not disrespecting anyone that consistently kills big bucks but those that brave those mountains are of a different breed . Sure there are others that consistently kill big bucks but consider where they kill them . Sure you have to pass smaller bucks hoping that they become mature even in the mountains where your deer sightings are really low . Properties where some hunt either gives you an advantage or it becomes a liability. Those that have access to large acreage where you are the only hunter or very few hunters gives you an advantage over those that hunt property where anyone can hunt . So I think these guys that consistently kill big bucks on public property should be considered your true hunters . Not only you hunt land most don't dare try to hunt because of the rugged terrain and deal with trying to corner a buck that has thousands of acres to roam. Then being fortunate enough to kill one then is the task of getting him out . I can virtually drive to where my deer falls most time I can't even fathom dragging one out of those places .
I don't drag in rough country. Pack them out

DMD

I'd love to Hunt that area. I love places like that.

DMD

Anyone interested in hunting there for a week or so next year, I'd love to try it. I just about always hunt by myself, but in a remote area like that, i wouldn't mind a hunting partner. My long time hunting partner of 30 years gave it up a couple of years ago. I guess him being 82 years old, I'll forgive him.

DMD

This guy isn't a monster, but when he fell, his slide was stopped when he wrapped around a sapling. Before I field dressed him, I tied him to another tree so he didn't slide more.

Oh, don't usually see many hunters on this public land.
I hunted up in the mountains of Gobey. Killed a big boar hog one time. Luckily I killed him toward the top of Mountain and was parked at the bottom. I would just give him a push with my foot and there he'd go. The only thing that stopped him from sliding all the way to the bottom would be a tree. 😂

killingtime 41

Ratchet strap to the buck and a tree as far up as you can get it. Helps when they die over the side. Of course that is extra weight. Every little bit counts in the mountains.

Latest posts