Big buck tonight- bad shot

philsanchez76

Well I took off yesterday and today and have been hunting hard to get this big guy before muzzleloader opens up on public. Saw him last night and then actually got a shot off on him tonight right at closing time. I saw the lighted nock stray off course just a little. Pretty sure I hit a small twig. The deer reared up on his hind legs and then tore out of there into of course the most ungodly 10 foot high blackberry thicket. After I calmed down, got down and found the arrow. Had very light blood on it and it did smell a little like I may have hit guts. I knew it was gonna be 24 degrees tonight so I decided to back out immediately. Headed back tomorrow morning. Anyone have a dog recommendation for Rutherford county? First time ive had to do this. I really want to find him. He'd be my best buck to date for sure.

philsanchez76

8D298CE9-4958-4345-B26C-2AC4FD39ECF9.jpeg
C773650B-B288-4F61-97F6-F8047FAA4A0B.jpeg

philsanchez76

appreciate all this support. one more question. Got a hold of a tracker (thanks @Wolverine72 ) but he can't meet till 3 pm tomorrow. Would yall go in early and try to find blood (maybe not much if a gut shot)? Id like to save this meat. Or wait till the dog comes at 3? I appreciate all your experiences. ive never actually had to do this before.

A207X2

appreciate all this support. one more question. Got a hold of a tracker (thanks @Wolverine72 ) but he can't meet till 3 pm tomorrow. Would yall go in early and try to find blood (maybe not much if a gut shot)? Id like to save this meat. Or wait till the dog comes at 3? I appreciate all your experiences. ive never actually had to do this before.
If it were me, I'd head out at first light picking up where you left off. Worst case scenario you don't find it by 3, then the dog will. In the event that it's still alive tomorrow morning, I'd want to do all I could to find it and dispatch it quickly. I wouldn't want it to suffer for 6 more hours waiting for the dog. I think you're going to find it pretty quickly though. As someone said, get a good night's sleep and start fresh in the morning.

Latest posts