In relation to the Big Frog buck

Snake

I hunted up in the mountains of Gobey. Killed a big boar hog one time. Luckily I killed him toward the top of Mountain and was parked at the bottom. I would just give him a push with my foot and there he'd go. The only thing that stopped him from sliding all the way to the bottom would be a tree. 😂
This is how you hunt when you don't have help. Did this on some Huber property in Franklin Co. one year , killed a small buck . Always go up the mountain to hunt if you kill something it's a downhill drag 👍

BigAl

Look at the flip side. You don't have to deal as much with peoples dogs, 4 wheeler riders, trespassers, road hunters, horseback riders, coon hunters, neighbors that shoot anything, crackheads, hunters that bait, lease members that can't get along, etc. I've probably forgot a few things. Sometimes the combination of these things is enough to make me want to quit hunting.

Ridgeline300

Look at the flip side. You don't have to deal as much with peoples dogs, 4 wheeler riders, trespassers, road hunters, horseback riders, coon hunters, neighbors that shoot anything, crackheads, hunters that bait, lease members that can't get along, etc. I've probably forgot a few things. Sometimes the combination of these things is enough to make me want to quit hunting.
Definitely more peaceful!

CritterGitter

I dont have the opportunity to hunt east tn , maybe one day. But reading all this gave me an idea. Pack a long rope , 2 pulleys , make a simple 2 pulley system . Use your body weight and gravity to pull down the hill , deer goes up! Probably wouldn't work but it does in my head .

Snake

I dont have the opportunity to hunt east tn , maybe one day. But reading all this gave me an idea. Pack a long rope , 2 pulleys , make a simple 2 pulley system . Use your body weight and gravity to pull down the hill , deer goes up! Probably wouldn't work but it does in my head .
It's hard enough to just take the bare essentials up some of those mountains. Where we hunted up at what they called Cow Camp it took us an hour and 1/2 of steading walking just to get where we all split off to hunt . By then you was sheading clothes to keep from sweating .

BSK

It's hard enough to just take the bare essentials up some of those mountains. Where we hunted up at what they called Cow Camp it took us an hour and 1/2 of steading walking just to get where we all split off to hunt . By then you was sheading clothes to keep from sweating .
Oh Lordy, that is not for me!

Hyatt220

I've mentioned this before and I've heard all sorts of scenarios about guys that kill big bucks being good hunters but those that kill big bucks in these mountains are your true hunters !! Not disrespecting anyone that consistently kills big bucks but those that brave those mountains are of a different breed . Sure there are others that consistently kill big bucks but consider where they kill them . Sure you have to pass smaller bucks hoping that they become mature even in the mountains where your deer sightings are really low . Properties where some hunt either gives you an advantage or it becomes a liability. Those that have access to large acreage where you are the only hunter or very few hunters gives you an advantage over those that hunt property where anyone can hunt . So I think these guys that consistently kill big bucks on public property should be considered your true hunters . Not only you hunt land most don't dare try to hunt because of the rugged terrain and deal with trying to corner a buck that has thousands of acres to roam. Then being fortunate enough to kill one then is the task of getting him out . I can virtually drive to where my deer falls most time I can't even fathom dragging one out of those places .

Turkeychaser

I will say those mountains will definitely humble you. The day I shot the "Big Frog Buck" I left my truck before 5 AM. Crossed creeks, crawled under rhododendrons, and climbed several bluffs before dawn ever cracked. Hopefully I'll be able to continue doing it for the rest of my life. Nowhere in the world I'd rather be.
Wow! Congratulations on a Huge accomplishment!

tree_ghost

I will say those mountains will definitely humble you. The day I shot the "Big Frog Buck" I left my truck before 5 AM. Crossed creeks, crawled under rhododendrons, and climbed several bluffs before dawn ever cracked. Hopefully I'll be able to continue doing it for the rest of my life. Nowhere in the world I'd rather be.
Congratulations on an incredible buck!!!

hoghunter65

The young man that shot this buck had his dad and two other people to come help him pack the meat out, he packed the horns, not only is this area tough hunting, just getting there is an adventure,I was up there a few weeks ago scouting along the big frog loop road, took me 2 hrs to go 13 miles in a jeep, road is really rough.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1702758104606.jpg
    FB_IMG_1702758104606.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 6
  • FB_IMG_1702758111079.jpg
    FB_IMG_1702758111079.jpg
    195.7 KB · Views: 6

FLTENNHUNTER1

Well now you have to tell us the story! Don't leave out any details!

Hyatt220

Well now you have to tell us the story! Don't leave out any details!
I'm going to try to record and put the story of how everything played out on my youtube channel in the next couple of days. My youtube page is Appalachia 365 outdoors or @Appalachia365

Haven't uploaded anything in a while but there are a few turkey hunts on there right now. I'm pretty new to youtubing, but I'll have the story soon!

Hyatt220

The young man that shot this buck had his dad and two other people to come help him pack the meat out, he packed the horns, not only is this area tough hunting, just getting there is an adventure,I was up there a few weeks ago scouting along the big frog loop road, took me 2 hrs to go 13 miles in a jeep, road is really rough.
Frog Loop rd has claimed many tires, axles, and ball joints for sure !

Latest posts