190” buck? Ehh, No big deal.

deerhunter10

He is one to talk he help start all of it, but There are a lot of videos and pictures of giants every year. I still find it impressive but I've never shot a booner may have only seen personally in my life on camera and that's a true maybe. I will say for let say tennessee I would say a 120 inch deer is much more common then it used to be, or so it seems. Regardless in my opinion killing mature deer consistently Regardless of bone on head is a great accomplishment especially in the south in free range deer hunting. I'm not impressed at all with the seek one bs or high fenced anything. Just my 2 cents. But I am 100 percent deer 100 percent of the time. But I understand what he saying a little. In November instagram and Facebook tn deer all the things is full of big deer pictures and videos. I will say there isn't a lot of people (or doesn't seem to be) like us that are still very secretive about cameras and what they kill. I don't care about likes or views or any of that junk. Bsk is the only one I've ever shared even a few pictures with.

Ski

I can't totally disagree but it's weird hearing it come from him. He IS one of those guys and has been for a long time. It was cool in the 90's & early 2000's seeing these guys kill big bucks on TV. Now it's not. Everything is so over the top commercialized that it doesn't seem real anymore. They're killing deer that in nature would have a one in zillion chance at growing so big, and the deer never encounters a predatory human until it's reached its prime. It would literally be harder killing a 130" 3yr old on public land than it would be to kill a 190" 5yr old on one of Jay Gregory's farms. And as a consumer of whitetail hunting media, I'd rather see the guy grind it out on public for a smaller but much more realistic/relatable buck. The big money that made those guys and afforded them those big farms is drying up and being redirected. We are seeing the end of an era.

killingtime 41

We are seeing an end to an era. But in my estimation a new era. Where it's all about public land hunting. Is that good or bad you be the judge. Which just comes back to relatable real world type hunting. We still all love to see a huge buck. But there comes a certain amount of respect that's needed these days for me to watch. And with guys like Seek Nuts and the like. You'll not get any from me. I'd rather see a 100 inch deer killed on free range land. Then see a monster killed drinking from a bird bath in a ghetto. Or one killed in high fence area. In both circumstances they are just pets and completely predictable.

megalomaniac

Capitalism is a double edged sword. Unfortunately.the monetization of deer and deer hunting has had more negative effects than positive.

Must suck to spend tens of thousands of dollars on your farm annually only to find that the rest of the world doesn't care anymore.

Hopefully folks lose interest in paid outfitted hunts as well. Seems to me more and more folks are enjoying the process over the end result when it comes to deer. And that's a good thing!

Too bad that can't be said for turkeys for 99% of the hunters.

agelessssone

I'll be having venison backstrap for dinner tonight.
I doubt if the buck scored 90.
But it sure tastes good!
And so does the jerky I made from it, and the venison stroganoff, and venison meat sauce and pasta!
Have to finish what's left in the freezer to make room for three more urban wood mules, none of whom will score much of anything.
But the smile on my little girl's face when she tears into a venison steak makes all them non scorers feel like Booners to me.

Mud Creek

20231016_141811.jpg

Ski

Capitalism is a double edged sword. Unfortunately.the monetization of deer and deer hunting has had more negative effects than positive.

Must suck to spend tens of thousands of dollars on your farm annually only to find that the rest of the world doesn't care anymore.

Hopefully folks lose interest in paid outfitted hunts as well. Seems to me more and more folks are enjoying the process over the end result when it comes to deer. And that's a good thing!

Too bad that can't be said for turkeys for 99% of the hunters.

That pretty much sums up my sentiment. I enjoy seeing a random Joe on YouTube bust his butt on public and kill a good one. I also enjoy seeing what small acreage landowners do with their habitat and kill a good one. That stuff is me. It's how I hunt so that's what I enjoy watching. I can't relate with the 200" buck walking right past the stand tree to eat a pile of corn in the field edge any more than I can relate with the guy who paid $10k to be in said tree. I've got nothing against it. It's just not me so I'm not their target market. Their market is disappearing.

TRHC

A little off topic, but have y'all heard Jay Gregory's story about the time he was a young GW and was intentionally shot with a rifle by a poacher? Dude is lucky to be alive.

I like his videos ok. He's about on par with with some of the other big names in the industry. I don't think he hunts in high fences, or back yards, so he's got that going for him. Shooting the 190s certainly is unrealistic for me, but I still like to dream about the big bucks in midwest.

CliffordN

A little off topic, but have y'all heard Jay Gregory's story about the time he was a young GW and was intentionally shot with a rifle by a poacher? Dude is lucky to be alive.

I like his videos ok. He's about on par with with some of the other big names in the industry. I don't think he hunts in high fences, or back yards, so he's got that going for him. Shooting the 190s certainly is unrealistic for me, but I still like to dream about the big bucks in midwest.
Jay was not a game warden. He was scouting for turkey season, and stumbled into a bait pile with an armed poacher watching it. He took a 270 through the back. He owns a large tract of land in Iowa, and takes very few deer off of it.

TRHC

Jay was not a game warden. He was scouting for turkey season, and stumbled into a bait pile with an armed poacher watching it. He took a 270 through the back. He owns a large tract of land in Iowa, and takes very few deer off of it.
Ahhhhh, You're right. I had that detail twisted up. Thanks for pointing that out.

th88

Listened to the podcast and lost all respect for him at the end when he went on his CWD tirade. He showed his ignorance on the subject, that's for sure. Just like a bunch of other hunting "celebs".