Return to 3 buck limit but....

AT Hiker

mike243":2089qg2i said:
At what age is a cow lamb or a pig taken to the market? what makes deer any different? Trophyism imo

I see your point but I dont think its a good argument, here is why....Many reasons why those critters are sent to slaughter at a certain age but I dont think you can logically compare a domesticated animal that is genetically selected for meat quality grade and fed a scientifically designed diet to a free range wild animal left to tend with whatever mother nature throws at it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mike243

Mother nature was in the breeding business long before the first animal was domesticated ,at 1 time a man was said to live over 500 years old,think that was before scientific cross breeds and special foods hormones and such, which is better for us?

AT Hiker

mike243":1d935rg6 said:
Mother nature was in the breeding business long before the first animal was domesticated ,at 1 time a man was said to live over 500 years old,think that was before scientific cross breeds and special foods hormones and such, which is better for us?

Even though I raise cattle I still consume the vast majority of my red meat via wild game. Old, young, middle age...I eat them all. So yes, wild organic meats is the way to go. [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ROUGH COUNTRY HUNTER

WRbowhunter":2wce00m9 said:
I liked the 3 buck limit but the 2 buck limit is the law and no use complaining about it now. The time is in the summer when they bring things like this up. As far as the seasons go they are perfect the way they are.
Well said,my opinion as well

Vermin93

mike243":347mabio said:
at 1 time a man was said to live over 500 years old,think that was before scientific cross breeds and special foods hormones and such, which is better for us?

Extra points for inserting longevity myth into a buck limit conversation. With a 6,000 year-old earth and 500 year-old men, those dudes got to hang out for over 8% of earth's existence. Color me jealous. :super:

Land Between the Lakes

I've passed on several small bucks in KY this season because of the 1 buck rule. It can really make a difference in some areas. Those bucks I passed on, will probably live to be larger next season. Like I said earlier, I think the 1 buck rule saves thousands of bucks from being taken each season in KY, many of them live longer and grow larger. KY has had a 1 buck rule now for over 25 years I believe, that's probably saved at least tens of thousands of bucks during that time. The one buck rule, along with habitat, are probably the two biggest reasons KY has so many large bucks in my opinion.

But every state is different and should be managed accordingly. I think a 1 buck rule would definitely save thousands and thousands of bucks from being taken each season in TN, many would live and grow older and larger. But the TWRA would have to ask if a rule change like this is actually needed for the health of the herd, and if hunters support this or not. The 1 buck rule definitely saves bucks, but it's still nice in TN to at least have the option of taking 2 bucks lol

farmin68

Reading some of the comments reminds me of conversations that took place amongst deer hunters in the 70s and 80s.

With all the hard scientific info now available to us, the only thing we've really gotten past is a spike will not always be a spike... And that was somewhat of a struggle. :(

Latest posts