2 buck limit question from WV

Snake

I have seen a little change since 2 buck limit. Seems that fewer 1.5 and 2.5 yr old bucks at the processors. Also, those younger bucks that love to walk around all during the day, more of them seem to make it through the season. I don't have any hard numbers, just limited observations in my area. This goes in line with what Hduke86 was pointing out. Some hunters are likely to be a little more selective with that 2nd tag, than they were with 3 limit.
Or those 1.5 yr and some 2.5yr don't get checked in .

deerhunter10

Any 5 year old plus should be a trophy.
But some of those aren't trophies. Maybe for some people but not all. Just because a 5 year old 100 or 110 inch 8 point is to you doesn't mean that it is to me. Just a suggestion. Doesn't bother me that much one way or the other. Just sucks tagging out in October or November.

deerhunter10

If you're regularly doing that, consider raising your shooter buck standards a tad?

You might just raise the gross target score only 5 to 10 inches, then struggle to kill a single buck every other year. Ask me how I know.
We consistently kill upper 30s and lower 40s deer. While we have good dirt we dont have alot better than that walking around. We have killed a few in the 50s. We are blessed with a lot of different farms in 3 counties. With only 6 tags really 5 my wife usually only kills 1 if any. We target our best deer every year.

knightrider

But some of those aren't trophies. Maybe for some people but not all. Just because a 5 year old 100 or 110 inch 8 point is to you doesn't mean that it is to me. Just a suggestion. Doesn't bother me that much one way or the other. Just sucks tagging out in October or November.
But thats management, and your correct, i dont care if he is 100 or 150 if he is 5+ he is most definitely a trophy for me

jaydell

Something just doesn't jive with this statement.
The net result should actually be improvements in herd performance and LESS habitat degradation.
Of course, this would assume there are ample opportunities allowed to kill female deer.
If not, the attributed statement reeks of misguided "buck only" deer management.

Ongoing deer populations are almost totally controlled by the doe harvest.
The only way there could be habitat degradation would be via too many deer for the habitat.
The "professional" prescription for this is to INCREASE the DOE Harvest.

Ironically, reducing the buck limit is often a "prescription" for increasing the doe harvest.
Many areas even have "earn-a-buck" criteria FORCING the harvest of a female deer
BEFORE a single buck tag is issued to the hunter.

Most hunters today have a "practical" limit of "harvesting" somewhere between 1 and 4 deer annually. They simply do not have the time, willingness, nor the resources to "mess" with the dragging out & processing of any more deer than that in any one year.

I suspect close to half all deer hunters today are "one & done" annually,
in that once they kill "a" deer, they're done deer hunting until the next year.

At this same time, most hunters prefer to kill bucks over does, and so long as the buck limit is the same as their "practical" limit, many hunters will simply shoot a buck, any buck, every time instead of shooting a doe. This is perhaps the main reason "earn-a-buck" can so very quickly & dramatically reduce deer populations (even though fewer bucks get killed, more doe get killed).

IMO, the ONLY way in which there should be concern of habitat degradation (after reducing a buck limit from 3 to 2) would be more due to biologically UN-SOUND deer management under which there simply is not enough doe-harvest opportunities for the hunters.

The attributed statement makes me a tad worried more about your biologist misguiding you.

Assuming reasonably ok deer management, going from a 3 to a 2-buck limit should not make any huge difference. It's just that those differences should be in the opposite direction from what you were told. The long-term TRENDING of this rather small "carburetor" adjustment are likely to make a noteworthy difference for the better (in terms of herd health) over time, like several years from now.

Have a question for you on this - looking at TN anterless harvest records - when you compare the antlerless harvest of the 8 years before the buck limit reduction to the 8 years after the reduction - TN antler less harvest is down by like 8,000 per year. Shouldn't it be the opposite? And again why are the trophy entrees into your deer registry down after the reduction - shouldn't it be going up?

BSK

Have a question for you on this - looking at TN anterless harvest records - when you compare the antlerless harvest of the 8 years before the buck limit reduction to the 8 years after the reduction - TN antler less harvest is down by like 8,000 per year. Shouldn't it be the opposite? And again why are the trophy entrees into your deer registry down after the reduction - shouldn't it be going up?
When very liberal doe limits were first introduced in the early 2000s, hunters went crazy over them. They shot the snot out of does. However, the "newness" eventually wore off. Hunters realized what a pain it was to process that many does. In addition, the high doe harvests made an impact on the deer density. Many areas no longer have the over-population and skewed sex ratio problems they once had (thanks to the doe harvest). Hunters also found out that once you pound the does, they stop travelling as much during daylight which reduces the sightings of following bucks. I also think more and more hunters have become highly selective about what they harvest and are not relying as much on hunting for meat for the table. So you have hunters focused on killing one or two really good bucks each year, but not focused on filling the freezer with does. And add in not as much of an over-population problem and some hunters feeling the doe harvests went too far (aren't seeing many does - which is probably true).

What all of this leads to is less does being harvested now as in the past. In some areas, that is warranted. The doe harvests DID knock the deer density down significantly. In other areas, it's just the slow shift in focus to only one or two good bucks a year and not as much interest in "whacking and stacking" deer.

Bone Collector

Our 2 buck limit did nothing. It did not improve our herd; it did not harm our herd.

I seriously doubt WV has so many bucks that dropping the limit to 2 is going to cause overpopulation problems. If they are worried about overpopulation, kill more does.
I think it did make one difference that many may not see. On high pressure public land I have progressively seen bigger bucks there. I know they were there, but they were fewer and far between. Keep in mind under the 3 buck limit, I would shoot the first deer by my stand on opening day of bow, buck or doe. I was more interested in getting a deer than worrying about burning a buck tag. When that limit went to 2, I stopped shooting small bucks and waited specifically for a doe, because I had larger bucks on my land and go to LBL from time to time, so 2 bucks was a possibility, but 3 would have been s a stretch no matter what I did. So my thinking was I could burn a tag and still get on one or two at my land or other places.

Now hunting has declined some on my land (working to improve it) and bigger bucks do not come around as prevalently. So I could go back to burning a tag, but it is tougher to do that with 2 as I may see a bigger buck on the WMA now and you never know what shows up at home. Plus my nephew is the luckiest kid a live and gets people to let him hunt and I may go with him there...

BSK

That's a good point about public land. But a very high percentage of deer killed each year come from private land. Of course, if a 2 buck limit helps on public land, then it helps.

Bone Collector

No not really. Everybody wants to shoot a big buck, but that isn't easy. Does are pretty easy to kill, but the question is how many do you need/want. Some people (usually newer hunters) always seem to "need" one more doe. In their mind it makes them look like a better hunter if they can say the shot X# of deer. Some people just like shooting deer, so they "need/want" one more. I process my own. It is work. I try to kill 3-4 does per year. If I get a large antlered buck (I hardly do) then I look at it as a bonus and we will have a lot more summer sausage, and jerky to eat and share with friends.
I could shoot 10 does per year pretty easily, but I pass does from November through early December. By the time I go back to shooting them, I may shoot 1 or 2 and be done with it.

knightrider

Because the limit went down a buck it doesnt magically but a big buck on every acre, very few were killing 3 before the change. It may be a surprise but there are very few that get killed that are worthy of the registry that ever get entered , because not everyone cares about trying to be the next waddy.

BSK

Because the limit went down a buck it doesnt magically but a big buck on every acre, very few were killing 3 before the change. It may be a surprise but there are very few that get killed that are worthy of the registry that ever get entered , because not everyone cares about trying to be the next waddy.
I think this is important. Early on, it was a real feather in one's cap to get a buck in the Registry. Now, few care enough to do it. I put my first one in the Registry, but not my second, and would not put any further qualifying bucks there.

TheLBLman

Jaydell, there's already been many good answers to your questions, so I'll try not to repeat, but may be able to expand on them a bit.

Have a question for you on this - looking at TN anterless harvest records - when you compare the antlerless harvest of the 8 years before the buck limit reduction to the 8 years after the reduction - TN antler less harvest is down by like 8,000 per year. Shouldn't it be the opposite?
Generally speaking, it would be easy to think it "should be" the "opposite", and this could have been the case on a level playing field of consistent ongoing circumstances. But the circumstances have been unprecedented, highly variable, and unpredicted.

Over many decades, TN hunters were conditioned to "protect" (not shoot) female deer because that's from where more deer come. That's what we were told, and in many hunting circles, it was simply taboo to kill a doe. Many will tell you most TN gun deer hunting had been mostly "buck only" until the creation of Unit L.

The creation of Unit L (with essentially no limit on doe) worked in convincing most deer hunters that it was not only ok to shoot a doe, but that hunters needed to kill lots of them! Prior to this, does were mainly only allowed (with a gun) or a single weekend or two, initially by quota draw. But also, since 1999, there had been a 3-buck limit with lots of opportunity to take bonus bucks on public lands.

Then suddenly, the flood gates were opened to shoot female deer. Hunters were killing & processing lots of does for friends & family. A growing number of non-hunters were enjoying eating venison.

But then, many hunters, like myself, simply got tired of dragging out & processing deer. Many decided they'd rather spend more time just hunting than dragging & processing. Many more simply decided to hunt a lot less, progressively less (for a variety of reasons, not just being tired of processing deer).

Then CWD hit, and the fear-mongering regarding eating "diseased deer" caused many people to simply stop eating venison. Suddenly, if you killed more than a doe or two a year, there might be no friend or relative wanting it. So you just cut back on how many you "harvest". I "need" one or two a year for the table. Taking any more than that can just be too much trouble.

The age of the average TN deer hunter is old. Many just aren't as willing to drive from East TN to Middle or West TN for better deer hunting. Instead of going about every weekend (when they had fulltime careers), they now deer hunt a weekend or two annually, despite being "retired" and having more "free" time. They kill a deer or two annually, and that's "enough".

The main reason the doe harvest is as relatively low as it is currently may be because the average hunter is simply hunting less, and less willing to drag & process a deer than ever before. We may have about as many deer hunters as ever, but on average, they hunt fewer days annually than in times past, and simply watch deer more than they shoot deer.

TheLBLman

And again why are the trophy entrees into your deer registry down after the reduction - shouldn't it be going up?
No.
Many reasons have already been given.
I'll add that most are being killed by older hunters who really could care less about those deer being entered in some "registry".

But there is another reason, and it may actually be the biggest reason more bucks "scoring" above 140-150 simply don't exist. That reason is antler high-grading by a huge segment of TN deer hunters. The very bucks with the very best antler genetics are mostly killed when those bucks are only 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 yrs of age. These bucks are "top end" and often scoring in the 110 to 130 range.

Quite simply, those bucks with the antler genetics capable of scoring over 150 by age 5 1/2, well, those bucks seldom live past 3 1/2. Never mind that 4 1/2 & older bucks are well represented in the herd statewide, but those "survivors" tend to be the bucks with below average antlers, typically passed up by multiple hunters annually. I do believe hunters end up killing most of these mature bucks, but they would rarely have antlers scoring beyond the 120 - 130 range.

And last, but not least, TN simply is not capable of producing bucks scoring as high (per age class) as many other states. There is a night & day difference between the potential of a buck born in TN vs a buck born in KY, even if both those bucks had the exact same antler genetics. Compared to KY, TN generally has poorer soils, less productive agricultural crops, less quality deer food.

Of course, one state vs. another, there can be significant differences in outcomes based as much on top-down statewide herd management as soil. KY's gun season is open approximately half as many days as TN's. KY has a 1-buck limit while TN has a 2-buck limit. IMO, this allows for less antler high-grading in KY (vs TN), along with more KY being able to survive to 4 1/2 & older.

TheLBLman

Perhaps a bigger question is why are so few younger people getting into "sport" deer hunting?

There is no one answer to this question,
but there are many which have occurred in cahoots.

The end result is that . . . . . .
As the older generations (more of which are hunters) die out,
the younger generations are not replacing either the number of hunters
or the amount of annual hunting per hunter.

"Sport" deer hunting would be more for the purpose of seeking antlers than venison, albeit perhaps a majority of "sport" deer hunters eat their venison.

There now may be more hunter recruitment for the primary purpose of obtaining free-range, organic meat than for the camaraderie of hunting camps and seeking large antlered bucks. Most of these "hunters" can get what they want from their back porches, or simply "hunting" on a nearby friend's property. They don't need and are not willing to pay for a hunting "lease", especially one a long drive away.

The sky hasn't fallen yet on "sport" deer hunting, but this is how I see things "trending".

Last edited:

Bell3wv

I am from WV and our commissioners just voted to lower our limit to 2 from 3 like what was done in TN several years ago. It was done even though our biologist did not recommend it. Our biologist said that it could actually have some negative effect and actually result in bucks with smaller racks because of habitat degradation.

It makes me wonder about this because I see in your TN deer registry that the number of entrees has decline since your limit was lowered. Jut wondered what you all are actually experiencing now with the 2 buck limit . In WV we actually have a little bit higher qualifications for our big buck registry and we actually have had a higher number of entrees each year into our registry than what TN has had. Just make me a tad worried that a mistake has been made not listening to our professional biologist.

thanks for the responses......
I'm from WV too and would take leave the military to come back and bow hunt. The absolute best thing they did was the opportunity to take does during the 2 weeks of rifle season. This saved a lot of smaller bucks. I have wished that they would inact antler restrictions but hunting I'm WV is too much of a money-machine for the state with all of the out of state hunters. I don't see lowering the limit helping much. Hopefully they bump up the number of does you can take.

Latest posts