Buck limit question.

StalkingWolf

Lets say that I harvest my two bucks in unit L before the President's Island draw hunt. Can I still harvest a third buck on President's Island which is in unit CWD which has a 3 buck bag limit? Or if I earn a bonus buck tag while hunting in another cwd county, can it be applied to the PI hunt?

RockMcL

I don't think there is a statewide bag limit this season. There is a Unit A, B, C, D, L limit of 2 antlered deer and a Unit CWD limit of 3 antlered deer; other rules come into play regarding Earn-a-Buck and Replacement Buck. Antlerless deer limits are separate for each Unit.

Regarding the OP, seems the President's Island antlered deer would fall into the Unit CWD limit.

My understanding is that without taking the Earn-a-Buck and Replacement Buck policies into account, there is limit of 2 antlered-deer for Unit A, B, C, D, L combined and a limit of 3 antlered-deer for Unit CWD for a total of 5 antlered-deer.
Quota hunts with (bonus deer) would be additional bucks also right?
Example I have Williamsport this year and antlered is called "bonus deer". So for me, I could tag 2 regular Unit L deer and harvest a bonus buck on Williamsport.

Maybe it is just me but "my boots" are not walking known CWD areas and then walking areas with no reported issues... Anyone else feel ill at ease about that?

DayDay

2-Step Enabled
Quota hunts with (bonus deer) would be additional bucks also right?
Example I have Williamsport this year and antlered is called "bonus deer". So for me, I could tag 2 regular Unit L deer and harvest a bonus buck on Williamsport.

Maybe it is just me but "my boots" are not walking known CWD areas and then walking areas with no reported issues... Anyone else feel ill at ease about that?
Yes, bonus bucks would not account against the "normal" limits of Unit A, B, C, D, L and Unit CWD.

Bagg-it Tag-it

I have read and re-read the regs this year and still cannot say for sure how it works between any other unit and unit CWD. If I kill a buck in unit L, then one in Unit CWD, then can I still kill another buck in another unit? Or does my 3rd have to be in unit CWD?

StalkingWolf

I have read and re-read the regs this year and still cannot say for sure how it works between any other unit and unit CWD. If I kill a buck in unit L, then one in Unit CWD, then can I still kill another buck in another unit? Or does my 3rd have to be in unit CWD?
It would make sense the third would have to come from a CWD county. But the regs aren't clear enough to say for sure. I mainly hunt unit L and I would like to know if I can take a third from unit CWD.

Andy S.

It would make sense the third would have to come from a CWD county. But the regs aren't clear enough to say for sure. I mainly hunt unit L and I would like to know if I can take a third from unit CWD.
Yes you can. You can exceed the Statewide limit of 2 bucks by harvesting all 3 in Unit CWD, or harvesting 2 bucks in Units A, B, C, D or L, and #3 in Unit CWD. This screenshot from TWRA FB page should help:

D227E53B-A1C4-4D13-A4DF-42C45CD489B6.jpeg

StalkingWolf

Yes you can. You can exceed the Statewide limit of 2 bucks by harvesting all 3 in Unit CWD, or harvesting 2 bucks in Units A, B, C, D or L, and #3 in Unit CWD. This screenshot from TWRA FB page should help:

View attachment 147401
Thank you for the clarification Andy S. This is the first time I have seen this update.

DayDay

2-Step Enabled

View attachment 147401
Thanks for this from me as well. I had this all wrong. No need to read further; I'm just blowing off steam below.

The only mention of a "statewide limit" that I could find in the current hunting guide is in the Juvenile Hunt information which I wouldn't normally review. The people that wrote the hunting guide did a poor job this year. It should define that there is a statewide limit but it only gives a limit for Unit ABCD&L and a separate limit for CWD Unit.

The guide "clearly" implies that there are two groups (Unit ABCD&L and Unit CWD) with each group having its own set of limits; to me it means 5 bucks which I mentioned in an earlier post and I will now go back and edit my post after seeing the clarification. The hunting guide also states that there are antlerless limits for each Unit and that going to another county within the same unit does not change that limit. This implies that a person can shoot the antlerless limit for each unit separately as well (which I think is still valid?).

Antlerless deer hunters may harvest up to the unit antlerless bag limit in each unit. Moving to a different county within the same deer hunting unit does not increase the hunter's bag limit.

Here is the confusing statement from the hunting guide that was poorly written after taking the facebook update into account:

Antlered Bag Limit: Units A, B, C, D, L - Two (2) antlered deer (one per day, not to exceed 2 for the season). The bag limit of two (2) antlered deer may be exceeded if taken as a bonus deer,
Unit CWD - Three (3) antlered deer (one per day, not to exceed 3 for the season). The bag limit of three (3) may be exceeded if taken under the Earn-A-Buck Program in Unit CWD (see page 21), or if taken as a Replacement Buck (see page 21).

It could also be interpreted further to be that each Unit of A, B, C, D, & L has an antlered deer limit of 2; especially when looking at the charts for each Unit which has the number of antlered deer (2) for each unit except for the chart for Unit CWD which has 3. The big mistake I see is that they took away the mention of a statewide limit in the Deer Definitions and Bag Limits section which was in previous seasons' hunting guides.

Okay, I feel better blowing off this steam; just frustrated when regulations are poorly written.

Last edited:

Bagg-it Tag-it

Thank you Andy. I did see that. However, it still isn't crystal clear. Say you killed 2 in unit CWD first....it isn't really clear if you can kill one in another unit. It sort of reads both ways. I know I could kill a 3rd in unit CWD, but not sure if I could kill in Unit L. I will contact Region II to ask. If I am not sure....I know there are others not sure.

Latest posts