Recommend a Suppressor

kaizen leader

Dumb question. Doesn't the speed of a bullet make a loud crack after leaving the rifle? What cal. and bullet do you shoot that keeps it quiet?

Jcalder

Dumb question. Doesn't the speed of a bullet make a loud crack after leaving the rifle? What cal. and bullet do you shoot that keeps it quiet?
Subsonic rounds are quiet. A standard velocity high powered rifle isn't quiet, but a suppressor will generally get them under the threshold of doing hearing damage.

infoman jr.

I bought my first suppressor 35 years ago. Spent a lot of time on the range as a student, trainer, RSO.

I have seen several cans blown into orbit and end cap strikes because the threads were cut by "competent machinists."

And I can't count the number of times I have seen perfect .5x28 centerfire rifle threads cut on a rimfire rifle. The machinist cut the threads just like the shooter asked. Except the shooter did not understand the difference between the two.

What about the rimfire threads for the cans that use an o-ring? How much of a gap do you need for the o-ring, and where does it sit?

And if "competent machinists" cut shoulder reliefs correctly, then why do so many people have to use beveled spacers, or should?

If all the machinists were competent, then why do so many suppressor companies make user replaceable threaded end caps?

There are very good reasons that there are shops that only cut barrel threads.
A lot of shops and end users don't know that SAAMI has published exact specs for muzzle threads (as I posted above). Following these guidelines would eliminate a lot of ambiguity. I never said all machinists were competent which is why I qualified the statement with that adjective.

Last edited:

Joe2Kool

Last edited:

Jcalder

I got bored so I found the chart I was thinking of. For a 9/16 thread, min barrel OD needs to be .662". For the standard 5/8, it needs to be .725". My Remington 700's, in 7mm Mag and 300 WM, were around .665"

So building on what Infoman said, a 5/8 thread on a .665 barrel, probably not a good idea!

They make adapters to work around that issue as well

PickettSFHunter

I'm pleased with my Silencer Central Banish 30. I've ordered one from Silencer Central and a YHM from Silencer Shop. My local silencer shop dealer screwed me over resulting a 5 week delay on the front end. Silencer Central was great at first and throughout the process until it came time for CLEO notification and shipping. That took about 4 more weeks than it should have. Just my experience.
I wanted to update this. Silencer Shop is just terrible. I am now sitting at 70 days and my ATF form is still not submitted to even start the wait time. Silencer Shop says it's the dealers fault. The dealer says it's Silencer Shops fault. When you get the two of them talking together, then it becomes the ATF's website fault. Never ever again will I deal with Silencer Shop. I don't know now if I'm just out $800 or what but no one can seem to get to the point of submitting the form.

Wiley

The loud crack that you speak of is called the 'ballistic crack' and is the sound of the bullet breaking the sound barrier. Subsonic rounds do not make the crack sound. A suppressor will take all the muzzle blast out of the shot whether it be full power ammo or subsonic. My .308 with full power ammo sounds like a normal .22 Magnum due to having no muzzle blast but the supersonic bullet breaking the sound barrier gives the ballistic crack.

Jcalder

The loud crack that you speak of is called the 'ballistic crack' and is the sound of the bullet breaking the sound barrier. Subsonic rounds do not make the crack sound. A suppressor will take all the muzzle blast out of the shot whether it be full power ammo or subsonic. My .308 with full power ammo sounds like a normal .22 Magnum due to having no muzzle blast but the supersonic bullet breaking the sound barrier gives the ballistic crack.
What suppressor do you have. I have a buddy with one, it's a banish 46 I think, for his 450bushmaster. We screwed it on his mini 30. It helped the noise, but it certainly didn't knock it half. But I wonder if that's true because it has such a hole to accommodate the bigger bullet or the way the suppressor is made. With a sub, the bushmaster is quiet. I was highly impressed

Wiley

What suppressor do you have. I have a buddy with one, it's a banish 46 I think, for his 450bushmaster. We screwed it on his mini 30. It helped the noise, but it certainly didn't knock it half. But I wonder if that's true because it has such a hole to accommodate the bigger bullet or the way the suppressor is made. With a sub, the bushmaster is quiet. I was highly impressed
I have an Ops Inc 3rd Model 30 cal. Most people wouldn't want an Ops Inc because of the weight but it's Mil Spec and mine was included in a production run for the Canadian Military when it was built. The baffle system is based on a scientific principle of sound wave cancellation and I forget what it's called. Nobody else builds this proprietary baffle system. It's a reflex suppressor that comes back over the barrel for close to half of its length. It's no longer in production but Ron Allen bought the rights and produces them under Allen Engineering Suppressors now. He was the lead shop guy in Ops Inc back in the day.

I don't have any pics of it on my Rem 700 .308 but I built an AR pistol in 300BLK as another host and here are some pics of it unmounted, mounted and unmounted without the hand guard.....

yi0QUPk.jpg

6t1VYvA.jpg

Last edited:

lung-buster

Picked up my Omeag 300 last week. Have it on a 300 blackout pistol and 190gr subs sound good and are hearing safe. It knocks alot off a regular round. Have a rimfire can still in jail and the next one will be for a 450 bushmaster. Silencershop kiosks makes it a breeze.

megalomaniac

My first will most likely be a scythe ti or a tbac ultra 7
Larry... I would follow this man's advice!

Except maybe a TBAC ultra 5 instead of the 7.

With your back and hip problems, weight savings is prob gonna be the most important factor in the long run.

I suspect there are many other cans that are quieter, but those 2 will be near impossible to beat in the weight dept and quality of construction.

Only downside, I don't think the thunderbeast ultra 5 is rated for 300 RUM pressures. The scythe is. That may not be a factor for you.

Jcalder

Larry... I would follow this man's advice!

Except maybe a TBAC ultra 5 instead of the 7.

With your back and hip problems, weight savings is prob gonna be the most important factor in the long run.

I suspect there are many other cans that are quieter, but those 2 will be near impossible to beat in the weight dept and quality of construction.

Only downside, I don't think the thunderbeast ultra 5 is rated for 300 RUM pressures. The scythe is. That may not be a factor for you.
From my research, the tbac 5 isn't near what the 7 is. Most everyone puts the 7 ahead of the 5.

megalomaniac

From my research, the tbac 5 isn't near what the 7 is. Most everyone puts the 7 ahead of the 5.
I think the 7 is going to be sig quieter and can handle more pressure... but as long as the 5 takes you down to hearing safe levels, sure would be nice to have such a tiny can on the end of your rifle for maneuverability!

Jcalder

I think the 7 is going to be sig quieter and can handle more pressure... but as long as the 5 takes you down to hearing safe levels, sure would be nice to have such a tiny can on the end of your rifle for maneuverability!
From a quick search, it seems as tho the 7 is noticeably quieter, but also longer. For one shot, hunting, the 5 may be the way to go. I'll tell you how the scythe does when I get the funds

megalomaniac

From a quick search, it seems as tho the 7 is noticeably quieter, but also longer. For one shot, hunting, the 5 may be the way to go. I'll tell you how the scythe does when I get the funds
I'd go with the scythe as well over TBAC.. 6.2in, 7.3oz. 132db at the muzzle according to specs.(.308) so quieter than the tbac7. Plus... scythe has a single port brake which 'should' help reduce muzzle rise over the tbac's

Granddaddy

My first suppressor was for .22LR - SilencerCo Warlock 22. Used SilencerShop kiosk at a local shop. Took 14 months. Bought the SilencerCo Scythe-Ti in 30 cal next . Also using SlencerShop kiosk at another local dealer. Took only 8 weeks to receive.

Performance in both are outstanding. The Warlock is so quiet I hear nothing but the action out of the S&W AR15-22 using CCI Std loads & just the bullets going supersonic when using faster loads. It is super for plicking (esp for the grand kids), hunting squirrels, crows, etc, all with no need for hearing protection. The Scythe-Ti was my next buy & is currently on my M400 AR pistol in 5.56. It's good enough to eliminate the need for hearing protection regardless of the load - and the best part is it adds virtually no weight. I bought thread attachments to fit both my 30 cal & my ARs - using DT. I'd recommend both.

Latest posts