Why suppressed/suppressors?

DaveTN

I don't care about them one way or the other. But I don't understand why they are an NFA item.

I'd probably play with them, but the cost is friggin ridiculous. I'd don't say that as a tightwad, I say that as a machinist. ;) You guys are really getting hosed.

I am kinda amused that most new shooters didn't pay attention in school and only care about velocity, to hell with mass and surface area. When they start playing with suppressors, all of a sudden velocity isn't everything they thought it was. 🤣

Terrier

I've had one since the wait time was 14 months (2010 era). Love it, love it, LOVE IT!

Sandstorm 30 cal. can. Works very well with subsonic 300 Blackout (sounds like a pellet gun) and the impact on deer sounds like someone hit a heavy rug hanging from the clothes line as hard as they could with a ball bat.

22 K Hornet supersonic is a little louder, but doesn't ring the ears. 6.5 CM supersonic is louder still, but still doesn't ring the ears.

When I ask later if my neighbor heard me shooting (300 yards away) he says, "Nope." He only ever hears it if he's outside, and thinks the shots are being made from farther away than me.

Last edited:
I don't care about them one way or the other. But I don't understand why they are an NFA item.

I'd probably play with them, but the cost is friggin ridiculous. I'd don't say that as a tightwad, I say that as a machinist. ;) You guys are really getting hosed.

I am kinda amused that most new shooters didn't pay attention in school and only care about velocity, to hell with mass and surface area. When they start playing with suppressors, all of a sudden velocity isn't everything they thought it was. 🤣
At one point I was looking into getting one of the "80%" kits from China, they actually make some really nice ones, for an almost unbelievably low price. Some simple machining is required, but the licensing issues and terms deterred me. From the way I read it, if I was to manufacture a silencer, even with the proper paperwork, the police are allowed to come inside my home and inspect that item at any time, I wasn't cool with that, so I'll just shoot unsurpressed.

BigCityBubba

At one point I was looking into getting one of the "80%" kits from China, they actually make some really nice ones, for an almost unbelievably low price. Some simple machining is required, but the licensing issues and terms deterred me. From the way I read it, if I was to manufacture a silencer, even with the proper paperwork, the police are allowed to come inside my home and inspect that item at any time, I wasn't cool with that, so I'll just shoot unsurpressed.
I am not sure it isn't the same with one that you bought vs manufactured. I believe with class III weapons the government can knock on your door and ask to see the weapon and the paperwork. Thats what people with class III weapons have told me.

DaveTN

That's just not true. But if you read the law and you think it is, that's all that matters. You are the only one that will be held responsible for interpreting the law properly.

Omega

No, they (ATF) can't just come in and inspect unless you are an FFL SOT making these for others. The kits can be a challenge, legally, as some come very close to being an NFA item without any machining and the ATF has changed enforcement efforts depending on who thinks it is 80% or not. Chinese ones are way too thin and once made you are not allowed to do repairs on them if a tube or baffle need replacing. I bought tools to make one if/when the Hearing Protection Act was passed, I also have studied ways to make one from items such as filters and flashlights in case SHTF and I feel it is worth the effort to silence a weapon. I will opt for better materials though because the thin-walled tubes can cause baffle strikes if allowed to heat up too much.

No, they (ATF) can't just come in and inspect unless you are an FFL SOT making these for others. The kits can be a challenge, legally, as some come very close to being an NFA item without any machining and the ATF has changed enforcement efforts depending on who thinks it is 80% or not. Chinese ones are way too thin and once made you are not allowed to do repairs on them if a tube or baffle need replacing. I bought tools to make one if/when the Hearing Protection Act was passed, I also have studied ways to make one from items such as filters and flashlights in case SHTF and I feel it is worth the effort to silence a weapon. I will opt for better materials though because the thin-walled tubes can cause baffle strikes if allowed to heat up too much.
I didn't realize that making them for others was what the other license and inspection was required for. A lot of the other reasons you listed were secondary reasons that I just decided to not bother, not to mention I don't really do any metal work, so I would have to end up paying someone else to do it, and at that point I might as well just buy a fully assembled one.

That's just not true. But if you read the law and you think it is, that's all that matters. You are the only one that will be held responsible for interpreting the law properly.
There were just so many stipulations and technicalities involved with manufacturing your own that I decided to forgo it for legal issues. I very well could have misinterpreted the law, but I'm just not willing to take the risk of making a mistake (like a 5 year mandatory minimum mistake), it doesn't seem worth it to me, I really only shoot muzzleloaders anyway, so it's not really a big deal.

Omega

I didn't realize that making them for others was what the other license and inspection was required for. A lot of the other reasons you listed were secondary reasons that I just decided to not bother, not to mention I don't really do any metal work, so I would have to end up paying someone else to do it, and at that point I might as well just buy a fully assembled one.
Yea, doing a Form 1 silencer can be a hassle if you are not aware of the special rules that are involved with making one, and if going through all that hassle anyway, may as well get the best silencer you can out of it. There are places to buy all the materials you need to make a Form 1 silencer, and the quality is top notch, but again, once built, no matter the quality, you can't do any serious maintenance to it if something needs replacing.

Yea, doing a Form 1 silencer can be a hassle if you are not aware of the special rules that are involved with making one, and if going through all that hassle anyway, may as well get the best silencer you can out of it. There are places to buy all the materials you need to make a Form 1 silencer, and the quality is top notch, but again, once built, no matter the quality, you can't do any serious maintenance to it if something needs replacing.
Are you able to do repairs on a suppressor that you purchased rather than built? From what I understand they do eventually wear out, I didn't realize you couldn't repair it either.

Joe2Kool

I have one on my 300 WM. Noise level and felt recoil is less than a 22 WM. And it doesn't smack my forehead! I don't think the can itself tightens the group, but it has reduced flinching, which tightens the group.

Omega

Are you able to do repairs on a suppressor that you purchased rather than built? From what I understand they do eventually wear out, I didn't realize you couldn't repair it either.
No, a baffle, by itself, is considered an NFA item and that is what gets damaged the most. Most every part of a silencer by itself is treated as an NFA item so there is no way to repair them unless you get a Form 1, and make the part.

tug

One of the most common charges the ATF makes is "conspiracy to commit". They usually sit you down and say that if you don't turn into an informant, like the guy you were talking to about 5 minutes ago, they will put you in jail for 10 years and you will not see your kids graduate or get married. That is why half the people at gun shows are working for the ATF as informants.

And that is why I am outa here..................

Grizzly Johnson

I am not sure it isn't the same with one that you bought vs manufactured. I believe with class III weapons the government can knock on your door and ask to see the weapon and the paperwork. Thats what people with class III weapons have told me.
They have to have a warrant and probable cause to come asking to see your item(s). Someone can't just knock on your door and demand to see… Remember that video posted a while back where someone showed up to see someone's item and the homeowner called the sheriff department on them…

BigCityBubba

They have to have a warrant and probable cause to come asking to see your item(s). Someone can't just knock on your door and demand to see… Remember that video posted a while back where someone showed up to see someone's item and the homeowner called the sheriff department on them…
Yea it was a conversation I had with friends who re-enact who own class III firearms about 30 years ago. I may have remembered it wrong. I do remember that they did say the paperwork had to go with the weapons at all times. One friend had a 50 cal that never fired anything but blanks and I remember he always had the paperwork when he traveled with it. He also had a ppu. Does the paperwork have to go with the suppressor?

Omega

Yea it was a conversation I had with friends who re-enact who own class III firearms about 30 years ago. I may have remembered it wrong. I do remember that they did say the paperwork had to go with the weapons at all times. One friend had a 50 cal that never fired anything but blanks and I remember he always had the paperwork when he traveled with it. He also had a ppu. Does the paperwork have to go with the suppressor?
I have a copy in my phone, you must show it if asked by ATF, and LEO if there is a local ordinance covering the item. You must also ask permission to cross state lines, and you must be sure that where you end up allows said items, stamp or not such as CA.

BigCityBubba

I have a copy in my phone, you must show it if asked by ATF, and LEO if there is a local ordinance covering the item. You must also ask permission to cross state lines, and you must be sure that where you end up allows said items, stamp or not such as CA.
Where do you ask to cross state lines?

Omega

Where do you ask to cross state lines?
You have to submit a form (ATF Form 5320.20) to the ATF, I've never done it, or will, but I understand that you can have it for extended periods of time if you regularly cross into another state for ranges and stuff. With my SBRs, I will convert them to pistols if I want to use them elsewhere, so don't need the form, but silencers always will need one unless they pass the HPA. Also, if you move, even within the same state, that form must be submitted.

Latest posts