Why suppressed/suppressors?

Boll Weevil

I'm not asking because I'm for or against…asking because I'm 100% ignorant of the pros and cons. Seeking to learn…kinda like my TSS inquiry some years ago. I just don't know nothin about it.

Boone25/06

Got one now and 2 in lock up. Only thing I can say is once you try one you won't go without. One thing that surprised me the most for hunting is the immediate sound of the bullet hitting. Even with supersonic ammo you will know instantly if you hit a deer solid or missed it. It absolutely sucks to have to pay for one and wait an untold amount of time to use it but I haven't regretted get one.

memfuzz

I have one for a 22 and guess I've watched the movies too much because I expected a big difference and couldn't tell it that much.
CCI Suppressor ammo fired from a bolt action is stupid quiet. You can get some noise actually coming from the ejection port on a semi-auto, and try to find sub-sonic or at least standard velocity ammo.

Gravey

You must be doing it wrong , tbh
I'm new to it and only fired it a couple times but how can you do it wrong? I screwed it on the end of the barrel and shot it. 🤷‍♂️

CCI Suppressor ammo fired from a bolt action is stupid quiet. You can get some noise actually coming from the ejection port on a semi-auto, and try to find sub-sonic or at least standard velocity ammo.
It's on a bolt action Savage Mark II. Just shot some 22's I had on hand not any sub sonic.

PickettSFHunter

Makes the sound so much more pleasant and easy on the ears. The main reason I have one and another in jail is for neighbor type reasons. I shoot a lot at hogs at night. I just prefer to not bother everyone at night. I let a few go at my house pre-suppressor just because I knew my neighbors have school age children. My one and only neighbor is 400ish yards away but I still worried about the noise. I don't worry now and just raise the bedroom window and fire away when I want. Even outside of the house, just prefer to not fire away at 1am without some suppression. Hogs will also still run at the shot but they do usually stick around more or calm down easier, especially if you're working on other nearby pigs and don't want to blow the whole holler.

Carlos

I'm new to it and only fired it a couple times but how can you do it wrong? I screwed it on the end of the barrel and shot it. 🤷‍♂️

It's on a bolt action Savage Mark II. Just shot some 22's I had on hand not any sub sonic.
Sub-sonic will definitely make it much quieter.
Without it, the suppressor doesn't make a huge difference.

Omega

I played with them enough that they are not all that now, and for what I do, I do not need to silence my weapon. By the time my target hears the report, the round has done it's job. I refuse to pay the $200 for what should be PPE, but if they pass the HPA, I may make one to play with for night shooting. If TWRA opens up opportunities to hunt predators at night I may change my mind, but otherwise I just don't see it.

yellalinehunter

I was thinking about getting one and then I realized I had a .22 pellet gun whisper quiet. Seems to do the exact same thing. Talked myself out of the silencer central purchase

Carlos

Then what's the need for a suppressor? In big game calibers where subsonic rounds are not an option why would you use one?
I'm not an expert on the subject, but when shooting subsonic rounds, the 'crack' of the bullet is taken away- so you don't hear that, or much of a report either.

You'd have to shoot them side by side with a suppressor to fully understand the effects.

Here's a video of what I'm trying to explain.

Last edited:

Remi

Sub-sonic will definitely make it much quieter.
Without it, the suppressor doesn't make a huge difference.

A friend has a couple and I was surprised that I still needed ear pro with my 6.5 Grendel and his ar in 223. I had thought about getting one until I was around his some and while it is quieter it sure wasn't what I was expecting.

Omega

A friend has a couple and I was surprised that I still needed ear pro with my 6.5 Grendel and his ar in 223. I had thought about getting one until I was around his some and while it is quieter it sure wasn't what I was expecting.
Silencers on gassed weapons are not as effective because the gas needed to operate the weapon in semi-auto doesn't go through silencer and the cycling of the weapon will still be heard. If you operate the weapon as single shot it's much quieter, though bolt action seems to be the way to go.

IMO subs with a suppressor can be effective for hunting, you just won't realize the same range as unsuppressed. My Rem 700 300blk works fine with 220 gr subs and a suppressor, but hogs will still scatter when you hit the first one due to the sound of the bullet hitting it's target and the squeal of said target. You may get a second shot off, but likely it will be on a running target. On deer they should work well also, but don't be surprised if penetration and expansion become discussion points, more so than with regular bullets some are already complaining about.