Suppressors

wrcox

I am thinking of getting suppressor for an ar15 any suggestions or recommendations on what I should look for

tug

Trust or individual.

Have it delivered to a range where you can shoot it while it is in jail.

Consider the mounts. If you run several guns, you will need several mounts. They are not inexpensive, sometimes hard to find.

Buy the best suppressor you can afford. The paperwork, hassle, wait justifies a better can. Why go thru the bullshit for an economy can?

Consider a .30 cal. Can use on a .30, does not loose that much Db suppression on .22.

Start thinking about how to tune an AR for a can. Especially a can with back pressure.

Get a close tolerance steel rod to test for concentric before you shoot first round.

Weigh the can when it is new. Write the weight on the box.

Consider the length of the can and length of the barrel in total.

Make sure your can clears your handguard.

Get a baseline accuracy test and POI data. Before and after.

You will still need ear pro.

Wiley

Get a close tolerance steel rod to test for concentric before you shoot first round.

Under NO circumstances will I ever run a steel rod down the bore of any weapon that I own. Several better options out there.

Some suppressors are actually hiring safe when distance from muzzle to ear is considered in the dB reduction. Sonic crack is another situation.

DaveTN

I would guess that unless you act quick, you may have a long azz wait. You may already be too late. The BATF is going to be handing out free tax stamps for SBR's. They are expecting a big back-up.

tug

Under NO circumstances will I ever run a steel rod down the bore of any weapon that I own. Several better options out there.

Some suppressors are actually hiring safe when distance from muzzle to ear is considered in the dB reduction. Sonic crack is another situation.
Share with us those better options please.

Wiley

Share with us those better options please.
Carbon fiber for one. That's what my cleaning rods are made of. Other polymers are out there as well that are stiff enough to give alignment "readings".

When was the last time that you saw a steel cleaning rod? I never have. Or even a steel jag for a cleaning rod? Some suppressor manufacturers offer steel bore alignment rods but I'll never use them. The last steel that I want touching my lands and grooves is the tooling that made those lands and grooves.

Last edited:

NChunt1

I really like dead air products I'm currently have a nomad ti in jail, the nice thing about the nomad is its a 30 cal suppressor but you can get different end caps for 22. Cal so you trap more gas. I would get a 30 cal can if your just getting one so you can put it in different calibers.

Andy S.

For me, I prefer max caliber flexibility (.30 cal down to .22 as mentioned above) and "direct thread" to barrel threads to eliminate moving parts that could potentially affect accuracy. If you are going to use said suppressor on several different guns and accuracy is not a key factor, get you quick detach (QD) suppressor so you can easily swap between guns. I do not swap suppressors enough and burn through ammo to see the benefit of QD. For awareness, even with electronic form 4s, wait times are still running 7-9 months in my neck of the woods. 90-120 day turnaround time was advertised last January, but we are not seeing that, and have not seen it. I did get one back in 5 months, but suspect that I got lucky. From my limited experience, and those around me, I recommend Texas Silencer Company, Dead Air and Thunder Beast (TBAC). Good luck.

Last edited:

44 mag

I really like dead air products I'm currently have a nomad ti in jail, the nice thing about the nomad is its a 30 cal suppressor but you can get different end caps for 22. Cal so you trap more gas. I would get a 30 cal can if your just getting one so you can put it in different calibers.
I agree with dead air. I currently have a sandman s and I have a maskHD in jail. The sandman is a 30 cal can and full auto rated for a full auto 300WM with no barrel restriction. Not that I would ever need that. I have run it on 308 300blk and 223. So far I have been very pleased with it.

mike243

Been using steel cleaning rods in my rifles all my life, also 12 years in the military and with common sense no problems. Bore snakes these days but I shoot so rarely nothing needed recently lol, love to have a suppressor but dont want my name on another watch list

BlackBelt

I use a 30 caliber Deadair Sandman S on 5.56 rifles. It works amazingly well considering its size. However, what other posters mentioned is correct. You have to get different mounts for different rifles, and in the case of the Sandman S used on a 5.56 rifle I bought a 5.56 endcap. That smaller hole in the 5.56 endcap makes a noticeable difference over the stock 30 cal endcap.

I was going to try the 30 cal Sandman S on my AK's, but my steel concentricity rod said "no-go". Most imported AK47's barrel threads are not concentric to the bore, while most USA made AK47 barrels are bore/thread concentric.

As far as steel vs 'other material' concentricty rods, dont worry about it. The important thing is that you DO check it with a concentricity rod.

I am a barrel freak and I can tell you with experience and authority that a properly sized steel concentricity rod will not harm the chrome lining or hardened steel of the inside of a barrel.

Think about it. A barrel is designed to handle extreme pressures while pushing a bullet made of any different number of metals and/or alloys tightly through it for tens of thousands of rounds.
A metal rod that drops through the barrel and out the other end freely doesn't put any wear or tear on that hardened barrel lining or on the hardened lands and grooves.

There are those that know, those that think they know, and those that dont know...all giving advice.

Like I said, the only really important thing is to get a concentricity rod (made of your choice of materials) and check that bore/thread concentricity.
Ive seen guys on the firing line shoot new cans off the ends of their rifles several times just because they didnt want to invest in a rod.

Edited to add: when DeadAir had their mounts on backorder I got mine from JMac Customs. I dont know if JMac makes DeadAirs mounts, but I cant tell any difference between them at all.

EFB 270

One more vote for Dead Air. I just got a primal (the 46 caliber). It came with a 5/8x24 hub. I like all the flexibility from 22 - 45/70

TITANSFAN2104

2-Step Enabled
Trust or individual.

Have it delivered to a range where you can shoot it while it is in jail.

Consider the mounts. If you run several guns, you will need several mounts. They are not inexpensive, sometimes hard to find.

Buy the best suppressor you can afford. The paperwork, hassle, wait justifies a better can. Why go thru the bullshit for an economy can?

Consider a .30 cal. Can use on a .30, does not loose that much Db suppression on .22.

Start thinking about how to tune an AR for a can. Especially a can with back pressure.

Weigh the can when it is new. Write the weight on the box.

Consider the length of the can and length of the barrel in total.

Make sure your can clears your handguard.

Get a baseline accuracy test and POI data. Before and after.

I watched my silencerco omega .30 fly about 20 yards when I took it off my 300bo and put it on my 22-250 and told my buddy to fire away!! It launched it and the only thing I can figure is I didn't have it on good (its the QD brake on each gun)
Luckily silencerco took care of me!! I will def check that gun with a rod the next time

Last edited: