Side Charging Handle... Why?

EastTNHunter

2-Step Enabled
I'm admittedly a simplistic traditionalist, but am not opposed to change of it is truly an upgrade. But why the side charging phenomenon in ARs? Seems like a totally new way to learn to operate, which could create problems if shifting between guns. Is the SCH that much easier to chocolate chip cookie? What about deflector and dust guard? I thought that it may be easier to teach a kid to shoot with the side charging handle

Last edited:

DaveB

I carried an AR with a working selector switch for 18 months. I still do not like them. A side charging handle seems to me to be unnecessary but if you like the idea of having one they are on quite a few semi-auto weapons.

The dust cover is designed to keep out dirt because the BCG likes a sterile environment. If you have one, use it. If not, stay away from dirt.

kamml

I have built a couple but don't really like them that much. If you lose the side draw handle in the field you are stuck. Things have a way of coming loose in a moving action.

44 mag

The only side charger that I have seen and like is by Pro2A Tactical. It is a none reciprocating charging handle on the left side and does not require a special BCG.

EastTNHunter

2-Step Enabled
Thanks all. I like certain aspects of the idea, but the more I think about them the more the traditionalist in me comes out. I can see lots of advantages to them if done correctly, but there doesn't seem to be a "standard" design and the parts don't all interchange

sgtwebb1

Pretty good concept, but I promise you, the US military tried unsuccessfully for years and years to iron out all the bugs on the SCH concept. Too many possibilities of failure in the field.
I know I read back in the 70's that Eugene Stoner had toyed with the idea on the original design. He also developed the AR7 survival rifle that incorporates the SCH.

recurve60#

I charge mine by grabbing with my left hand only the left side of the handle anyway, so I dont have to get out of shooting position. Do it the same way even if not in shooting position. My right hand always has thd grip with trigger finger ready along the receiver.

infoman jr.

I charge mine by grabbing with my left hand only the left side of the handle anyway, so I dont have to get out of shooting position. Do it the same way even if not in shooting position. My right hand always has thd grip with trigger finger ready along the receiver.
How do you cycle the charging handle with your face on the stock?