Threaded my First Bolt handle

TiminTN

Seems to have turned out fine, gotta get another few handles.

20160216_130257172_zps8atpzbzl.jpg

DaveB

I have a 700. You want mine to be your next attempt? First one looks pretty good.

You can pick and choose what you want as a handle just tell me how much and if I got the coin we'll go do this.

TiminTN

I was dissapointed after doing this one I saw how close the tip of the bolt was on clearing the lathe rails. I put in a LA 700 bolt in the jig and it wont clear. So all I can do is short action Remington RH 700`s.

TiminTN

DaveB":3rb0k42b said:
I have a 700. You want mine to be your next attempt? First one looks pretty good.

You can pick and choose what you want as a handle just tell me how much and if I got the coin we'll go do this.

I`m gonna charge $50.00 for threading, you furnish the handle. I sent pics via text and one guy says he wants 4 done!! I have seen others charging 60.00 to 65.00 just for threading. The die I bought is 5/8x24 tpi.

DaveB

Yep, You will be busy for quite awhile.

If you have a lathe and some creativity you should be able to provide the handles with some more style than what I see on the web.

TiminTN

DaveB":1my5jpaz said:
Yep, You will be busy for quite awhile.

If you have a lathe and some creativity you should be able to provide the handles with some more style than what I see on the web.

The one in the picture is from Harrells Precision and is $12.00

Hunter 257W

I guess I'm behind all the current "tactical" trends but I'm not sure I understand how cutting threads relates to bolt handles?? Are you saying that the handle is cut short then rounded and threaded so that oversize knob can be screwed on??? My next question is why a larger handle is viewed as desirable?? :shock: Looks to me like it would just get in the way.

Hunter 257W

OK, I guess it's a matter of taste and different preferences in shooters. Not knocking your work, by the way, as it looks like a fine job! And I can certainly see why you would be doing it if people are paying you to do so. :)

I can't help but wonder if in about 15 or so years there will be a market for replacement bolt handles once people look at these for a while. :)

DaveB

You can work the larger knobs with gloves on. Your hand doesn't slip off the end when closing the bolt.

The biggest problem is you may need to remove the bolt in order to close a hard-side case. No big deal, I do that anyway because I look through the barrel before I chamber that first round anyway.

Hunter 257W

I've yet to see any shortcoming with the factory handles myself. If you need extra leverage to open the bolt, you either need to work out some or back off on your powder charges. :) But some like blondes and some like brunettes! Tactical is in style at the moment. As a tinkerer of all things mechanical myself, I can appreciate the workmanship involved.

Latest posts