Threaded barrels

ruthunter

Need some help from some of you experts. I bought a Remington 700 mil-spec 308 and it has a flash protector on it. I would like to change out the flash protector to a muzzle break. Question is is this easy to do, are the threads the same on both. Do all breaks have the same threads or are there different threads? My plan is to take it to gunsmith, but wondering can I just order my break or is there different sizes and thread patterns? Any help is appreciated

Jcalder

You may have to heat it depending on if it has thread locker on it. I had to get creative to break loose a flash hider on a mini 30. Took some heat and a cheater bar. Agree with the 5/8-24, but if you know what model you have it should say in the specs at what it's threaded at.

Omega

What they said; but have to ask, why? Is the flash hider not doing its job, or just aesthetics? I'm not much on brakes, unless absolutely necessary, they make a rifle much too loud IMO. Some muzzle devices are better than others, some combine brake with flash suppression while others direct just a portion of the gas to reduce muzzle flip. I have one, looks like the Flamming Pig, but it's a KAK Industries Flash Can that came on a 9mm AR of all things. I've not had a chance to shoot it yet, but if it's loud it's coming off. May come off anyway as I think it's a bit ugly.
1704047026291.png

DaveTN

Did it come new threaded? I suspect it's custom and you just must determine what it is. Take it off and put on what you want.

I agree with Omega, I wouldn't want a muzzle brake on a .308. But I guess if all you are using it for is hunting; it won't matter. If you go to the range folks might not want to shoot next to you.

Remi

If you shoot prone a lot you might not like a radial brake. And I'd prefer a self timing brake

Definitely not a fan of radial brakes and prone. I have the Gamma VG6 brakes on my 6.5cm and 6cm but if starting over I'd certainly be after a self timing. A guy I shoot with has a 419 Hellfire that I like most bigly. He also has an APA Little Rosie O'Donnell that he likes as well.

Jcalder

Definitely not a fan of radial brakes and prone. I have the Gamma VG6 brakes on my 6.5cm and 6cm but if starting over I'd certainly be after a self timing. A guy I shoot with has a 419 Hellfire that I like most bigly. He also has an APA Little ******* that he likes as well.
I've heard the apa is a sweet brake, even if it is loud

MUP

Definitely measure to see what thread size you have before ordering. I have a Remington Model 700 in 300 WinMag and the barrel is threaded 9/16-28. I have no idea why this odd size but it was like this when I bought it. My first thought was someone messed up the 5/8-24 threads and turned it down to the 9/16 size. But 9/16-28 is an offered thread size so who knows.

Omega

Definitely measure to see what thread size you have before ordering. I have a Remington Model 700 in 300 WinMag and the barrel is threaded 9/16-28. I have no idea why this odd size but it was like this when I bought it. My first thought was someone messed up the 5/8-24 threads and turned it down to the 9/16 size. But 9/16-28 is an offered thread size so who knows.
Yours may be custom, or just an old standard. The 9mm above is 1/2x36, but I think they now do 1/2x24, if I hadn't just checked I would have mistakenly ordered the wrong replacement.

Jcalder

I've been looking at suppressors for a week and getting barrels threaded. 9/16 is the minimum thread diameter for 30 cal. Not sure what your barrel OD is but that may be why.

Wiley

It's your gun but why a brake? It's gonna direct ear splitting muzzle blast closer to the shooter. I've found that if I'm at a range with somebody who has a brake on their rifle I need ear plugs AND muffs and I can still hear the blast.

Last edited:

7mmWSM

My Rem 700 7 mag was turned to a 9/16-28 as well for my muzzle brake. Barrel was to small for 5/8-24 threads.

jlanecr500

Barrel diameter plays a huge role in threading for a brake. You don't want the bore too thin after threading and you also want a good shoulder to seat on. I buy my brakes in the raw so I can turn and profile them to blend in with the barrel. I bore and clearance the ID at the same time to keep clearance tight. I just don't have that much faith in a pre machined brake being aligned with the rifle bore after being installed. Bullet strikes are not a good thing. The pre machined brakes are typically over clearanced to allow for those variances. As clearance gets looser, brake effectiveness diminishes.

infoman jr.

Barrel diameter plays a huge role in threading for a brake. You don't want the bore too thin after threading and you also want a good shoulder to seat on. I buy my brakes in the raw so I can turn and profile them to blend in with the barrel. I bore and clearance the ID at the same time to keep clearance tight. I just don't have that much faith in a pre machined brake being aligned with the rifle bore after being installed. Bullet strikes are not a good thing. The pre machined brakes are typically over clearanced to allow for those variances. As clearance gets looser, brake effectiveness diminishes.
He won't have any problem with shoulder diameter with that barrel.
https://saami.org/wp-content/uploads/2023/06/Suppressor-Thread-CFR-.625-24.pdf

Latest posts