What's your CCW and why?

tahtah

I'm a long time hunter, but I've never been a handgun guy. I recently took the handgun carry class and applied for my permit. Now I'm looking at my first handgun purchase. This may have been asked in the past, if so I apologize. What do you guys have for your carry weapon and why did you select it over other choices? Also, what functions and features should one consider when looking?

I've already done some research, but you guys are always a wealth of information and no doubt will share something new. Thanks in advance.

Dkizer18

I am partial to Glock. In the winter Glock19 in the summer Glock43. My reasons are Glocks are reliable and they fit me. But they may not be right for you.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

dralarms

I'm the oddball. I carry a smith and Wesson 45c 24/7 and a smith and Wesson 45 shield in my pocket as backup.

TraumaSlave

Stainless HK USP compact in .45acp. My wife bought it for me 12yrs ago and it has been on my hip ever since. Quality, reliability, sexy, and throws ashtrays.

Crow Terminator

I don't have just one. I will carry one for a while then find something else that fits my fancy.

I've never had to use any of them but have had several since I got my permit.

I started with a Ruger Mark 2, cause that's all I had. Then I got a Ruger LCR in .38. Then got a Glock 27 in .40. Then to a S&W MP Shield in .40 and then one in 9mm. I have a Taurus Judge public defender currently.

I like certain things about some of them and dislike little nit picky things about all of them. I've not found the "perfect" one as of yet. The Glock 27 has been my favorite; I sold it when money got tight one time with the thought of getting another one sometime down the road, but they are so high now that I always change my mind on getting a new one.

gtk

Staff member
Depends on what clothes I have on, and where I am going.

Sometimes, its an old-school S&W Model 39-2. Its reliable, and feels/looks great.
Often, it is my Taurus PT740. It's slim, comfortable, and reliable.
Glock 19 when I have clothing that conceals it well.

Working on a Glock 43 that will replace my Taurus, becuase I want all 9mm

2in1shot

TNRifleman":3n2p06cc said:
Has always been a Glock 23 but I just picked up a Sig P365 that will likely be worn when I need something a little bit smaller under clothes.

How do you like it? That's my next gun purchase.

TNRifleman

2in1shot":1we94uoy said:
TNRifleman":1we94uoy said:
Has always been a Glock 23 but I just picked up a Sig P365 that will likely be worn when I need something a little bit smaller under clothes.

How do you like it? That's my next gun purchase.

I have not shot it yet as I just got it last Friday. However, for being such a small pistol, it fits really well in my larger hands. I had it down to this and GLock 43 for a smaller carry but I just didn't like how the 43 fit in my hand. I am a big Glock fan so I really wanted to like the 43 but the 365 just felt better. Plus, factory night sights and 12 round capacity in such a small pistol is a big plus.

bjohnson

FNX-9 in the winter. Glock 43 in the summer. Currently eyeing a Dan Wesson V-BOB. I like the FN because of the single action trigger pull and it has as close to a 1911 grip angle as possible in a polymer frame plus I prefer a manual safety. I carry the 43 in the summer because it's easy to conceal.

MUP

After purchasing a Ruger LC9s, and shooting several rounds of ball ammo wo issue, then shot 3 different brands of PD ammo to find the smoothest, most reliable feeding of the 3, I now carry it SSWF. My backup is a little Kel-Tec .380. I guess I'm the cheapest of all so far. :)

fullstream

Shield 9mm in summer, shoots really well and conceals nicely. Glock 19 in the winter. Awesome gun that flat out shoots well. Got a crossbreed holster that's very comfortable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tahtah

Thanks for all the replies. I must admit, I had to google several of these. It seems many have a 9mm preference, which is actually where I'm leaning. I also noticed several mentioned one handgun for cold weather and another handgun for warm weather. I assume that's related to clothing, which several others mentioned.

How much consideration do you guys give to sights, triggers, barrel options, grips or other options?

keystonecop

A Glock 19 is my Favorite but don't leave out the Glock 43w/ a 2 round extension on the mag. That makes it a totally different gun. I like Glocks because they work. There are lots of good guns out there just carry something U like, but the main point is Carry your Gun. If U like a Lorcin, carry it.

mike243

I pocket carry a ruger lcp,its not a combat pistol but is dependable and would get me out of a jam if I found myself in 1

Latest posts