Why suppressed/suppressors?

Hammer

At the range I must wear hearing protection per the range rules. So the suppressor is not really a hearing protection factor.

I guess hunting with one would help if your taking just one or two shots. And your not wearing hearing protection

I've seen suppressed hog hunting videos and it's not "quite ". Seems like the hogs hear the gunfire immediately

I really prefer just a brake in regards to staying on target.

They can and will change POI. Some don't but some do.

Suppressors do have that cool factor

Omega

Every poacher dreams of a silencer for Christmas lol. Only 1 I would want would be for a 22, think i will be buying a 22 cal pellet rifle before next season to squirrel hunt with
Get a PCP, much better than a break barrel and much easier on the scope.

I've noticed that suppressors work much better with certain bullets and weapons. Last time I was at a range there was a guy with a suppressed .22, who was shooting subsonic rounds, and the action on his rifle was louder than the actual shot, you could hear bullets hitting dirt or paper too. Another time a guy had a suppressed AR, in what I'm assuming is 5.56, and that thing still sounded like a fully unsuppressed .22, hearing protection was definitely required, it just sort of knocked the very peak of the sound wave off. There was a difference for sure, but it wasn't that big, and would definitely still be recognized as a gunshot from a distance, he also had to wear goggles and a face mask to prevent the blowback gas from getting in his face, it probably would have worked better if he had set the rifle up to be suppressed, but I've never heard a properly suppressed 5.56 before. You have to adjust the gas levels, and add a few parts, or so I've been told. I've never actually shot a suppressed gun before, just seen them around.

Every poacher dreams of a silencer for Christmas lol. Only 1 I would want would be for a 22, think i will be buying a 22 cal pellet rifle before next season to squirrel hunt with
Some of the new pellet rifles are more than potent enough to kill squirrel and other small game, I use a .177 that shoots just below the speed of sound, it takes pellets that will break the sound barrier, but I noticed that if the pellet goes back under the speed of sound (it shoots like 1,300 fps, and after about a hundred or so feet it will drop just below the sound barrier) while in flight it starts to do weird things, and it's easy to miss, shooting heavier pellets around 800-900 ft per second seems to be the most effective.

A 8-900 fps .22 would be more than enough to drop squirrels.

PMC certified

Then what's the need for a suppressor? In big game calibers where subsonic rounds are not an option why would you use one?
I disagree with the premise of you question. Subsonic is absolutely an option. Full penetration with a subsonic 44 magnum.
20231125_133618_HDR.jpg

Smoke

Movies have given a lot of people the wrong perception of how a suppressed weapon sounds. If you shoot subsonic you can get get a really quietly fired weapon. I shoot supersonic rounds. You still get the crack from bullet but it takes away most of the loud boom that goes along with it. My bolt 308s sound more like a 22 or 22 mag now. Used to have a farm that a subdivision was built on back side. Every time I shot a deer someone would call the police. After getting suppressor it didn't happen anymore. One time I missed a buck at 50 yards in the woods. He had no clue what happened and gave me another shot. I've called in coyotes and missed that run off but can't tell what was going on and came back into the call. I shot a buck couple years ago that dropped immediately. The other buck with him had no clue and kept feeding in the field. It's nice not having to worry about going deaf if I get into several coyotes or hogs. I shot 4 coyotes one time over the course of an hour. 3 singles and 1 triple came in that would have never happened if I wasn't suppressed. Second one I shot I stood up and saw 2 more 50 yards from it and sat back down to keep shooting. Is it aggravating to get one, yes. Is it worth it, most definitely.

Last edited:

BigCityBubba

I have been contemplating getting one for hunting deer in TN and hogs in GA. Its not just followup shots but for the same reason I believe it will help with recovery in that a deer will settle down quicker after being shot with a suppressed rifle vs an unsuppressed rifle. I have always noticed that deer don't run nearly as far when a muzzleloader goes off vs a centerfire rifle. I am assuming its the sonic crack from the centerfire that scares them so bad they don't stop running until they are out of the county. When a muzzleloader goes off, the deer typically run maybe 40 or 50 yards and then start walking like nothing happened. I see it every year. I could be wrong but it sounds good so I plan on having one by next year. I get bored and think of these things in the tree stand.

Remi

Silencers on gassed weapons are not as effective because the gas needed to operate the weapon in semi-auto doesn't go through silencer and the cycling of the weapon will still be heard. If you operate the weapon as single shot it's much quieter, though bolt action seems to be the way to go.

IMO subs with a suppressor can be effective for hunting, you just won't realize the same range as unsuppressed. My Rem 700 300blk works fine with 220 gr subs and a suppressor, but hogs will still scatter when you hit the first one due to the sound of the bullet hitting it's target and the squeal of said target. You may get a second shot off, but likely it will be on a running target. On deer they should work well also, but don't be surprised if penetration and expansion become discussion points, more so than with regular bullets some are already complaining about.

My Grendel is a bolt action and I have to wear ears

Boone25/06

Another positive to them is you can shoot a coyote crossing field while deer are in it and not run the deer off. This might be different in different areas but I just did it this afternoon. Had 7 deer in field about 200 yards away they alerted my way and I noticed a coyote crossing that they had seen. I shot it and they continued to eat within a minute never leaving.
No doubt they are not silencers they are suppressors. They still hear the shot but are way less concerned with it. As for some saying the ones they shot or seen didn't work good, not all suppressors are created equal. I cannot speak for many but the one I like the most is the dead air nomad L. It works great on everything I have tried it on.

Carlos

So, the stamp is for the suppressor, and it's legal to transfer it between firearms?

Wiley

Then what's the need for a suppressor? In big game calibers where subsonic rounds are not an option why would you use one?
A suppressor takes away ALL the muzzle blast and in doing so it also takes away most of the recoil. My .308 sounds similar to a .22 magnum and I never lose sight of my point of aim when shooting it suppressed. I have four 22 rimfire suppressors and they're the most fun that you can have with your clothes on.

I will add that you absolutely DO get what you pay for in most suppressors, to a point. A $200 rimfire suppressor will NOT be as effective and quiet as a $400 unit in that caliber. I've been here and have both. Top shelf centerfire suppressors in the the $800-$1000 range are equal on suppression with the $1500 units but the higher end will usually be a good bit lighter due to being made of more exotic metals.

Gravey

A suppressor takes away ALL the muzzle blast and in doing so it also takes away most of the recoil. My .308 sounds similar to a .22 magnum and I never lose sight of my point of aim when shooting it suppressed. I have four 22 rimfire suppressors and they're the most fun that you can have with your clothes on.

I will add that you absolutely DO get what you pay for in most suppressors, to a point. A $200 rimfire suppressor will NOT be as effective and quiet as a $400 unit in that caliber. I've been here and have both. Top shelf centerfire suppressors in the the $800-$1000 range are equal on suppression with the $1500 units but the higher end will usually be a good bit lighter due to being made of more exotic metals.
I've never been interested but had an uncle that passed away 8 years ago. He had one for an 22 and couldn't tell you what is it without getting into the safe. My aunt wanted me to have it so I did all the paperwork to get it transferred into my name and once I had that I picked it up from her. I'd be more interested in them from a recoil perspective than sound.

Latest posts