AR recommendations?

NChunt1

I don't really know a whole lot about ARs and wanted to get a few more opinions from some that are knowledgeable in this area. I have been looking around at my ar options quite a bit lately then i Was considering building one but don't think I'm going to go down that road just yet. I've been looking for a 16-in free float barrel with a mid-length gas system so something pretty standard but I wanted it to be as lightweight as possible and I'm not too worried about the trigger as I plan on upgrading it regardless. I was looking at some of the ones marketed as ultralights with the pencil barrel and the carbon fiber but that's a little out of the budget. Would like to try to keep it in the $800 range what would you guys recommend? I also considered putting a 300 hamr barrel on it in the future, but who knows. Thanks

backyardtndeer

In that price range, I think I would sort through the Palmetto State armory rifles, or look at aero precision complete rifles. While I don't personally own psa, I have heard nothing but good things about them. I have had a fair bit of experience with aero and ballistic advantage barrels and parts though, and haven't ran across one yet that I could not get to shoot well. Rock River has some "value" rifles, but not sure they have anything that fits what you are looking for in that price range. Back when I bought my first one, their varmint rifles were incredibly accurate.

tonybart55

I don't really know a whole lot about ARs and wanted to get a few more opinions from some that are knowledgeable in this area. I have been looking around at my ar options quite a bit lately then i Was considering building one but don't think I'm going to go down that road just yet. I've been looking for a 16-in free float barrel with a mid-length gas system so something pretty standard but I wanted it to be as lightweight as possible and I'm not too worried about the trigger as I plan on upgrading it regardless. I was looking at some of the ones marketed as ultralights with the pencil barrel and the carbon fiber but that's a little out of the budget. Would like to try to keep it in the $800 range what would you guys recommend? I also considered putting a 300 hamr barrel on it in the future, but who knows. Thanks
For $800, look at BCM Cosmetic Blem uppers (then just buy a built PSA Lower) or IWI Zion Z15. Those are going to be two of the best quality factory-built AR15s for under $1000

J.A.F.O.

All of the priors mentioned will perform well at your price range and most of the others will too. I would recommend to save enough to get your rifle then at least the same amount or a little less (no more than half) for your optics. Swamp Fox lpvo's and honestly all of them, are hella bang for your buck.

Carlos

I really like the Ruger AR556, and the PSA models are also very good quality starter rifles.
Make sure you pickup at least a couple hundred rounds to go with it.

MUP

For an AR I would echo the opinions of getting an upper and lower, as well as bcg and charging handle, from PSA. You can pay just about as much as you want for one out there these days, but if you're wanting super precise accuracy, that would be more in line with buying a bolt gun, IMO. AR's, for my use, are multiple round firepower weapons. Ymmv

Specializedjon

My advice, don't get suckered in to name brands. All lowers are the same. Spend your money on a good upper with a quality BCG (bolt) and barrel. As far as furniture, less is more. Get a Vortex red dot and a good light….done. Name brands don't stop threats. A well trained YOU and a tool that goes bang does.

$700 will get you a very nice rifle.

mike243

Decide what range of bullet weight you want to shoot then you can decide who offers that twist rate , been happy with my BM, not sure I ever read that all lowers are just alike, reckon I aint read enough lol. I don't want a polymer lower just to save weight ymmv

DaveTN

Might as well just watch the classifieds here and try to get one that's within your budget. If you are a normal human being you will want to make changes, or maybe even sell it and buy something else. So just jump in and get started. 🤣

I'll offer a couple of tips for a first timer and others can offer theirs….

If you are going to put an optic on it, buy a flattop or an optic ready that doesn't have that tall front sight post.

Buy a 5.56. Don't buy some designer caliber that you won't be able to afford to feed. 5.56 and .223 ammo is as cheap as you are going to get.

Swampster

Better yet would be to go with one with a 223 Wylde chambered barrel. They can withstand the higher pressure of the .556 ammo, but will yield better accuracy.
Forget it and step up to .308. Will do anything the 223 will and more when you need (want) it. Still have good ammo availability and selection. I don't know if anything in that price range would be desirable - spent about 3X that.

backyardtndeer

Forget it and step up to .308. Will do anything the 223 will and more when you need (want) it. Still have good ammo availability and selection. I don't know if anything in that price range would be desirable - spent about 3X that.
Depends on what you want to do. I have a couple in 308's and 6.5 cm's, and they have their place, but are also a good bit heavier. Original poster appeared to be looking for an AR15.

Latest posts