Public Land Where You Can Camp and Hunt at the Same Time?

MountainMan300

I'm located in East Tennessee, and I love backcountry camping- but I'm relatively new to hunting. I've hunted off and on since 2017, but 2023 was the first year I went regularly, and as such, I am still familiarizing myself with some regulations and practices.

I would love to spend a few weekends every year camping in the backcountry and hunting while I'm out there. I know that most WMA's don't permit camping, but from what I can tell, it's allowed at Big South Fork and North Cumberland WMA (please correct me if I' wrong about that).

Am I correct that I would be able to camp and hunt at those two locations, and are there any other places in Tennessee where it's allowed?

Tenntrapper

I'm located in East Tennessee, and I love backcountry camping- but I'm relatively new to hunting. I've hunted off and on since 2017, but 2023 was the first year I went regularly, and as such, I am still familiarizing myself with some regulations and practices.

I would love to spend a few weekends every year camping in the backcountry and hunting while I'm out there. I know that most WMA's don't permit camping, but from what I can tell, it's allowed at Big South Fork and North Cumberland WMA (please correct me if I' wrong about that).

Am I correct that I would be able to camp and hunt at those two locations, and are there any other places in Tennessee where it's allowed?
I'm surprised no one has mentioned this.
On undeveloped TVA public access land, you can camp and hunt. Just please clean up after yourself. I hunt some property where some Kentucky guys camp every year. It's a mess....a nasty mess!!!

PillsburyDoughboy

are they allowing camping inside of the area now? the campgrounds used to be on the perimeter of the area, and no entry until an hour before dawn or something like that.
Ive hunted and camped on Catoosa many times and never had any problems. But its been years ago.

Be sure to check out the Devils Breakfast Table area. The Cliffs above you can hunt from if you know how and where to access them and spot from above and retrive from below. One of my favorite places to hunt . But its rugged below and be prepared to pack out if you kill something down there.

Devil's Breakfast Table area - follow Peavine Rd entrance directions. Devil's Breakfast Table parking area is on the right just across the bridge. There is a trailhead about 40 yards down the road.
Devil's Breakfast Table, Lat-Long: 36.058796,-84.792257
SW access road Lat-Long 36.03199, -84.927887
Genesis Rd Checking Station access - Lat-Long 36.07356, -84.96071
Potters Ford Rd - Lat-Long: 36.08204, -84.94926
Bicolor Rd Checking Station access - Lat-Long: 35.9938, -84.6776

OldFussNFeathers

Just get a back country camping permit for BSF and you're good to go. Used to be $5.

Latest posts