Elk Quota Hunt Results

Joe2Kool

With the elk quota application period opening soon, two questions:

1) Where can I find the draw odds for 2021, 2022, and 2023? Results for 2018,19,20 are on the TWRA Elk Hunting page, but not 21,22,23. See attached screenshot.

2) Where are the harvest statistics for 2023? Results through 2022 are on the TWRA EH page, but not 2023.

Thanks.

Attachments

• TWRA Elk - Delete.PNG
    TWRA Elk - Delete.PNG
    34.1 KB · Views: 18

DeerCamp

I also have questions about this.

If you put in for Archery, and fewer people are applying for that, are you more likely to get drawn?

Or is it drawn with everyone in one big pot and then you get your hunt based on choices.

And what happens if you get drawn towards the end and there are permits left but only in areas you didn't select. Are you out and they move on to the next applicant?

Madbowh

I don't know about any of that but with the incidental kill of a elk being allowed I search for them and knock on doors for private land. It's tough super low success rate this way inTN but I seen a video of a5x6 walking around just outside of city limits in crossville back in December. That video really got me thinking, I also know a guy in Jamestown that has been seeing them since 2014 every year. They are around in areas you can get them incidentally, I think this is more likely than getting drawn I wor putting in for that a few years ago and go out west.

mike243

I put in every year for the elk, I have a lifetime and it costs me $0 , out west keeps getting higher every year, at my age I no longer want to travel a long ways to hunt for lots of $$, I went back in the early 90's to Gunnison Co, great trip lotta sites no luck but seen a lot of critters, good luck and don't give up hope,

DoubleRidge

With the elk quota application period opening soon, two questions:

1) Where can I find the draw odds for 2021, 2022, and 2023? Results for 2018,19,20 are on the TWRA Elk Hunting page, but not 21,22,23. See attached screenshot.

2) Where are the harvest statistics for 2023? Results through 2022 are on the TWRA EH page, but not 2023.

Thanks.
Dont know the answers to your questions but in addition to entering the TN Elk draw you can add Kentucky and Virginia's Elk draw for minimal dollars and increase your odds....yeah, its a long shot...but I enter all three states each year.

Billboy

Dont know the answers to your questions but in addition to entering the TN Elk draw you can add Kentucky and Virginia's Elk draw for minimal dollars and increase your odds....yeah, its a long shot...but I enter all three states each year.
I actually got drawn for a KY Cow Archery tag about 10 years ago. At that time they drew ~900 tags, may be less now. It CAN happen!

Joe2Kool

I also have questions about this.

If you put in for Archery, and fewer people are applying for that, are you more likely to get drawn?

Or is it drawn with everyone in one big pot and then you get your hunt based on choices.

And what happens if you get drawn towards the end and there are permits left but only in areas you didn't select. Are you out and they move on to the next applicant?
It's my understanding that names are drawn until all slots are filled. Hypothetically speaking, let's say 10,000 people applied, and you were the only person that applied for zone 1 archery. So until your name is drawn, that hunt isn't filled. Even if 9,999 names were drawn, and you were last.

Carlos

I don't know about any of that but with the incidental kill of an elk being allowed I search for them and knock on doors for private land. It's tough super low success rate this way inTN but I seen a video of a5x6 walking around just outside of city limits in crossville back in December. That video really got me thinking, I also know a guy in Jamestown that has been seeing them since 2014 every year. They are around in areas you can get them incidentally, I think this is more likely than getting drawn I wor putting in for that a few years ago and go out west.
I had one in my driveway last summer- wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen it myself.

DeerCamp

It's my understanding that names are drawn until all slots are filled. Hypothetically speaking, let's say 10,000 people applied, and you were the only person that applied for zone 1 archery. So until your name is drawn, that hunt isn't filled. Even if 9,999 names were drawn, and you were last.
There are about 10,000 people applying every year for 17 tags (-1 youth -1 charity).

So the overall odds are about once every 588 years.

However, 9 of those permits are for archery.

Only 8 are issued for Gun/MZL, so in reality your overall odds of being drawn for a gun elk permit are once every 937 years (with a lot of variables).

It's likely one of the lowest odds draw for anywhere in the United States.

Good thing they don't let people apply for 10 years once they are drawn :rolleyes:

7mm08

All in jest warning…..

I'd like to know what the poachers get charged from the local judges that kill the elk. It might just be cheaper to poach one!!!

mike243

There was a older gentleman shot 1 several years ago on a hunt in oak ridge I think, turned his self in I forgot what the fine was but at his age it was cheaper than going out west by far, said he thought it was a buck lol. been a few shot the last few years but not heard that they caught the shooter.

Antler Daddy

When you enter, you must choose a specific area and choose weapon. So, I would think that you are only competing against the # of people that chose the same choice.

So, if you choose area 0 for archery and 500 others chose the same hunt, then your odds are 1 in 500 to draw that hunt. If you choose area 0 for gun/archery and 1300 others choose the same hunt, then your odds are 1 in 1300 to draw that specific gun hunt.

So, there should be like 18 seperate drawings, but you only get to choose 1 hunt.

Antler Daddy

All in jest warning…..

I'd like to know what the poachers get charged from the local judges that kill the elk. It might just be cheaper to poach one!!!
Overall, you would likely increase your odds of taking a TN elk vs. applying through the drawing. There are many variables that would affect the success rate of actually on getting away clean with meat, antlers, etc.

MickThompson

The point creep would be unreal.

As it is, people who draw are disqualified for 10 years or so.
Based on Deercamp's number crunching point creep at year zero would knock anyone out permanently if 1) you missed year 1 (meaning young hunters would never be drawn as adults) or 2) if you ever missed a drawing.

There's a place for priority points, but this ain't it.