Question about how the Elk Quota hunt works

DeerCamp

Scenario:

You put in for very popular zones/hunts. Your name gets drawn, but all of your quota choices have already been filled.

Do you then draw nothing and they move on to another applicant? Do they randomly assign you a zone?

I'm asking, because I wonder if it makes sense to always include a higher odds/lower interest zone as a fallback?

Joe2Kool

I would think it is like any other draw hunt. If you put in for a specific unit, and if that unit is full when your name is drawn, then you're done. I can't say that is 100% certain, but some of the units are "transitional with low success rates." Not sure I'd want to be randomly placed in that unit if I was unable to draw again for 10 years.

Hopefully someone with actual knowledge will confirm.

DeerCamp

I would think it is like any other draw hunt. If you put in for a specific unit, and if that unit is full when your name is drawn, then you're done. I can't say that is 100% certain, but some of the units are "transitional with low success rates." Not sure I'd want to be randomly placed in that unit if I was unable to draw again for 10 years.

Hopefully someone with actual knowledge will confirm.
Well, the thing is - the current odds of being drawn are like once every hundred years.

So if you did get drawn, but booted because you didn't have anything open selected, you are still likely to never be drawn again.

I'd rather get a shot at a crappy unit than not even know I was drawn but nothing was available.

Antler Daddy

The answer to the TN question is that you pick that area and then draw nothing. This makes for better odds in my opinion and they used to share the data.

The KY draw odds are not too bad for a resident and they have a new draw for those who have put in for several years with no luck. They are posted on site.

The problem is the non-resident odds are so terrible that this will be my last year entering. 20000 non-residents generate over 200k in income and get 10% or less of permits.

Latest posts