Elk Quota Hunt Results

DeerCamp

I would like to see some preference given to those that have applied year after year. Maybe something like for each "priority point" you get an extra entry in the drawing
If we were to do a traditional priority system, anybody who didn't apply in year 1 would never EVER, EVER have a chance of being drawn.

According to an article I saw, there were over 12,000 applicants for the first 2009 hunt and only 4 permits drawn.

With 15 permits drawn per year now, it would take 800 years to burn through everyone with that first year priority point.

The problem with your scenario is that it's largely the same group of people putting in year after year, so the odds would not change because the number of total entries would increase at the same rate as your own entries.

So instead of a 1:900 chance of being drawn, you'd just b2 2:1800, 3:2700, etc.

mike243

I think the folks who went to the 2 meetings to see if hunters wanted elk to be brought in should have bonus points , I went to both meetings and glad they made it here, we needed some more to get the numbers boosted but Ky stopped that, I see now they are exporting some to other states recently.

Last edited:

MickThompson

I think the folks who went to the 2 meetings to see if hunters wanted elk to be brought in should have bonus points , I went to both meetings and glad they made it here, we needed some more to get the numbers boosted but Ky stopped that, I see now they are exporting some to other states recently.

How many points should we give the biologists and wma staff that made it happen and that are now managing the habitat?

Madbowh

I hunt elk out west every year and love it. I really don't understand the hype of them being introduced anywhere or reintroducing any animal. One thing in this article i didn't think about or realize was the soil being compacted, i wonder the toll that has on machinery. We have to stop solely thinking of ourselves in these situations.
Screenshot_20240320_121521_DuckDuckGo.jpg

MickThompson

I hunt elk out west every year and love it. I really don't understand the hype of them being introduced anywhere or reintroducing any animal. One thing in this article i didn't think about or realize was the soil being compacted, i wonder the toll that has on machinery. We have to stop solely thinking of ourselves in these situations. View attachment 220465
unless I'm mistaken, Idaho had elk long before it had wheat, potatoes, or farmers.

I'd be curious how they arrived at that $1m figure and how many acres that claim was made on.

Madbowh

unless I'm mistaken, Idaho had elk long before it had wheat, potatoes, or farmers.

I'd be curious how they arrived at that $1m figure and how many acres that claim was made on.
Yes they did and so didn't Tennessee. I might have not cared about the reintroduction if some real success could be had with eradicating wild hogs. They can't get rid of one problem so let's bring another in... wolves will be next

scn

Yes they did and so didn't Tennessee. I might have not cared about the reintroduction if some real success could be had with eradicating wild hogs. They can't get rid of one problem so let's bring another in... wolves will be next
TN is documented to have elk back in history. They aren't totally new to the state.

And, TN has had as much success in eradicating wild hogs as any other state. Eradication is virtually an impossibility once they are established.

Last edited:

Madbowh

That was halfway sarcastic, we had red wolves here not that long ago. They brought elk back, we know they introduced bears in some areas, Catoosa and BSF....I really did say that sarcastically but I had to look.
Screenshot_20240321_060958_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Tnshooter15

There was a older gentleman shot 1 several years ago on a hunt in oak ridge I think, turned his self in I forgot what the fine was but at his age it was cheaper than going out west by far, said he thought it was a buck lol. been a few shot the last few years but not heard that they caught the shooter.
I was the reason he killed that bull. My dad had shot a deer and I was tracking it and I jumped it. The bull ran down the ridge then bang. I looked at dad and we both said surely not. That was the last deer that my dad shot.

Antler Daddy

I would like to see some preference given to those that have applied year after year. Maybe something like for each "priority point" you get an extra entry in the drawing
Ky did that last year and this year. They had a special drawing for all the loyal people that had put in every year for 20 years or so. The odds are like 1 in a 100 and alot of those folks are getting older.

Im basically one of those loyal people, but I missed a deadline one year and obviously not included. I would also not be included in the TN drawing.

Latest posts