Fishing from private dock on public water

WestTn Huntin man

2-Step Enabled
And This is Why we can't get TWRA to anwer questions on The TWRA forum . Childish Bickering I'm glad I know how to use the ignore and unfollow Buttons.

scn

The legal definition of "waters of the state" found in TCA 70-1-101:

(38) "Waters of the state" means any waters within the territorial limits of the state of Tennessee;

70-2-102. Licensing requirement — Penalty.

(a) Every person shall, before hunting, fishing, or trapping, as the case may be, in this state, possess a license in accordance with the schedules in this title, except as otherwise provided in this chapter.

Persons exempted from the license on private property are those that qualify under the landowner exemption law. In addition military on leave with the proper papers would also be exempt., under 13 years of age, etc.

Last edited:

scn

In Tennessee, you're required to have a license to get a hook wet, regardless as to what the deed says on the property where you are. If you dug the hole, if you filled it with water, if you stocked it with fish from a private company that you bought with your own money, you have to have a license
Not correct if you qualify for the landowner license exemption.

Ed B

This, IMO, is the reason this forum should be eliminated. There is currently no one from TWRA on the site to answer these type of questions, and folks are getting some REALLY bad information from folks that don't really know what they are talking about.
I'm glad you chimed in, almost just sent you a pm with the question but wasn't sure if there were any other agency folks on here.

To throw a bit more of a wrench in to this, the individual would be qualified under the land owner designation on the dock but I figured since it was public water (TVA lake) a license would be required anyways.

scn

I'm glad you chimed in, almost just sent you a pm with the question but wasn't sure if there were any other agency folks on here.

To throw a bit more of a wrench in to this, the individual would be qualified under the land owner designation on the dock but I figured since it was public water (TVA lake) a license would be required anyways.
I very rarely come over here as I am out of the TWRA loop. I just hated to see person after person with incorrect information.

Even though he may qualify for a license exemption on his property, when he casts into waters where his license exemption doesn't apply, he is required to be licensed.

Tenntrapper

I very rarely come over here as I am out of the TWRA loop. I just hated to see person after person with incorrect information.

Even though he may qualify for a license exemption on his property, when he casts into waters where his license exemption doesn't apply, he is required to be licensed.
Does the "fishing in the county where you reside" exemption still exist?
I always have a license, but just wondering.
Thanks

DayDay

2-Step Enabled
Does the "fishing in the county where you reside" exemption still exist?
I always have a license, but just wondering.
Thanks
This is written in the TWRA Fishing Guide under Resident Licenses:

County of Residence Fishing - No Trout ages 13 and over $10

This license allows an angler to fish in his/her county of residence with natural bait (worms, crickets, cut bait, corn, etc.), but not minnows. No artificial baits can be used. A supplemental license is required to fish for trout

m r too ducks

I wish the fishing and hunting guides would have a section on "Myths" so they can be stopped.
Some of the best I have heard are, I am using natural bait I don't need a license, if I go home and come back I can catch another limit, and my favorite from hunting, "You can shoot a turkey on Thanksgiving without a license.

Biggun4214

Even though he may qualify for a license exemption on his property, when he casts into waters where his license exemption doesn't apply, he is required to
Such a weird license…there has to be a story behind it.
The county of residence license was created to replace the old county "worm dunking" law exemption. IMO the county of residence licenses got more people in trouble, fishing in the wrong county, using minnows, or artificial bait.

m_allison71

2-Step Enabled
I wish the fishing and hunting guides would have a section on "Myths" so they can be stopped.
Some of the best I have heard are, I am using natural bait I don't need a license, if I go home and come back I can catch another limit, and my favorite from hunting, "You can shoot a turkey on Thanksgiving without a license.
That would only work if people would read the book. If people would read the book, there wouldn't be posts like this.

JBell

I think they have to get a court order to step on your dock to write a ticket now though…..😂

Latest posts