New Hunter - First Hunting Rifle Suggestions

44 mag

With Encore you can have as many barrels as you can afford or want, including a ML or shotgun barrel. Just swap them out on same frame. ML will require a different forearm though.

I use Butler Creek Alaskan slings on all my single shots. They have 4 ammo loops on them which is handy if a follow up shot is needed.
The only bad thing about an Encore is they are not being made and finding them and or barrels are expensive

SolaBeard

If you are looking for a single shot then look at CVA scouts. They are very nice guns and you should be able to find one well under $500. They are extremely accurate with good triggers
Yeah, that's one I've been considering. Very intrigued by it! Do you have one?

44 mag

Yeah, that's one I've been considering. Very intrigued by it! Do you have one?
I have 3 actually 7-08, 243 and a 35 Whelen The 7-08 and 243 are my kids but I have used them more than they have. This is my 35 last weekend

Attachments

• 20D56572-0491-4407-AE01-12B0997614E7.jpeg
    20D56572-0491-4407-AE01-12B0997614E7.jpeg
    681.2 KB · Views: 34

SolaBeard

I have 3 actually 7-08, 243 and a 35 Whelen The 7-08 and 243 are my kids but I have used them more than they have. This is my 35 last weekend
Nice! Have you ever been in a situation where you wish you would have had a bolt-action? Or can you get a pretty quick reload from the stock sleeve you have on it? Based on what you know, would you recommend a single shot starting out or bolt-action?

44 mag

Nice! Have you ever been in a situation where you wish you would have had a bolt-action? Or can you get a pretty quick reload from the stock sleeve you have on it? Based on what you know, would you recommend a single shot starting out or bolt-action?
It's definitely not a quick as just running the bolt if you need a follow up. I have not run across a situation where I feel hindered by the single shot. Not saying it will never happen just not yet.

44 mag

It's probably been mentioned above but if you are looking for a bolt action the Ruger American is a very nice budget gun as well.

Red-Team-98

The hunter safety course is not only a great suggestion, but required by law. (According to his age..mid 30s)
Although it was part of my High School courses requirements in 1977 was the first Hunter Safety course I went thru. The next Hunter Safety Course which was voluntary in Alaska with youngest son at 16 several years ago …….it was a blast.

Red-Team-98

The hunter safety course is not only a great suggestion, but required by law. (According to his age..mid 30s)
Although it was part of my High School courses requirements in 1977 was the first Hunter Safety course I went thru. The next Hunter Safety Course which was voluntary in Alaska with my youngest son at 16 several years ago …….it was a blast

hoghunter65

I have a Ruger American compact in 308 20in barrel with a muzzle brake, very little recoil, I also have a CVA Scout in 35 rem which I carry a lot.

hoghunter65

I would recommend Ruger American over Savage Axis any day of the week. Both have cheap crappy stocks but the Ruger American is a much better built rifle.
Was just on buds gun shop sight and Savage has apparently had enough griping about their flimsy stocks, they now have an Axis ll with a wood stock, really a good looking rifle.

deerfever

I have a savage 110 Apex hunter XP 308 that came with a vortex scope. The gun is an absolute Tack driver , light , compact and I love the Accu trigger. You have your gun , scope and are ready to hunt. I wouldn't hesitate to get the Savage. 308 it is a great all round caliber. With that being said there is nothing wrong with the 243 . I have a Mossberg Patriot with the LBA trigger that is also a tack driver, great gun. The trigger is very similar to the Accu trigger of the Savage the scope it came with was not adequate at all , I replaced it. If it was me 308 would be my caliber if I had just one . Good luck! Lots of good advice on here!

hoghunter65

Do you happen to have a picture of your Scout setup? Would you recommend a single shot for a new hunter?

Do you happen to have a picture of your Scout setup? Would you recommend a single shot for a new hunter?
I'll get you a picture when I get home, I do recommend a single shot not just for New hunters but for everyone, but then I just like single shots, I would love to have a Ruger #1 in .257 Roberts or 7x57 but not willing to pay the huge prices their bringing today.

SolaBeard

I'll get you a picture when I get home, I do recommend a single shot not just for New hunters but for everyone, but then I just like single shots, I would love to have a Ruger #1 in .257 Roberts or 7x57 but not willing to pay the huge prices their bringing today.
I feel ya! Thanks for your input.

Tenntrapper

I have a savage 110 Apex hunter XP 308 that came with a vortex scope. The gun is an absolute Tack driver , light , compact and I love the Accu trigger. You have your gun , scope and are ready to hunt. I wouldn't hesitate to get the Savage. 308 it is a great all round caliber. With that being said there is nothing wrong with the 243 . I have a Mossberg Patriot with the LBA trigger that is also a tack driver, great gun. The trigger is very similar to the Accu trigger of the Savage the scope it came with was not adequate at all , I replaced it. If it was me 308 would be my caliber if I had just one . Good luck! Lots of good advice on here!
I have the same rifle, except in 6.5-284 Norma. I sold the vortex scope and put a Nikon monarch 3 on it that I had extra. This is a great caliber...but I wouldn't recommend to anyone not a reloader or on a budget. Ammo just way to high.

Latest posts