New Hunter In the House - Am I doing it right?

Sammy231

Good Morning crew. Name's Sammy. Finally managed to get into hunting after being curious for some years. I've had no one to mentor me on the subject matter except for youtube and google. I come for guidance since so many of yall here know how to bring a deer home.

Since the start of season this year I've gone out only to public land within reasonable reach (they're all archery only) and seem to meet a few hunters at each location, each time. Generally I've only got weekends for proper sits or still hunts and my skills definitely need sharpening if Imma sneak up on deer.

I got a trail cam, crossbow, guttin/skinning knife, camo, and scent killer. I've jerry rigged a rappel seat from climbing rope and used whats left to make a SRT Saddle climbing system. I've ghillied up my old OCP's and everytime I hit the field with odorless clothes, I dig up fresh dirt and rub it from head to toe and I spray a little doe in estrus on the sides of my boots.

I head out in search of sign like tracks, rubs, scrapes, feeding evidence, and that's about it. If I find something I think is hot or at least a day old I'll set up on it if the tree allows or if the ground has the cover I'll use a tree as backdrop and bush as front cover.

Managed to move a lot slower and more quietly but that's the hardest thing for me. I'm too eager to get one and I think I bump'em all before a shot comes.

Archery is tougher as we've got to be RIGHT ON the animal. So reading the sign and understanding where the deer like to move through and to is vital. With time in the field I will know more and be better, sure. But I've not seen ONE deer in range since I've started. Always more than 100 yds out.. When do I know I'm doing it right?

C1295

Good Morning crew. Name's Sammy. Finally managed to get into hunting after being curious for some years. I've had no one to mentor me on the subject matter except for youtube and google. I come for guidance since so many of yall here know how to bring a deer home.

Since the start of season this year I've gone out only to public land within reasonable reach (they're all archery only) and seem to meet a few hunters at each location, each time. Generally I've only got weekends for proper sits or still hunts and my skills definitely need sharpening if Imma sneak up on deer.

I got a trail cam, crossbow, guttin/skinning knife, camo, and scent killer. I've jerry rigged a rappel seat from climbing rope and used whats left to make a SRT Saddle climbing system. I've ghillied up my old OCP's and everytime I hit the field with odorless clothes, I dig up fresh dirt and rub it from head to toe and I spray a little doe in estrus on the sides of my boots.

I head out in search of sign like tracks, rubs, scrapes, feeding evidence, and that's about it. If I find something I think is hot or at least a day old I'll set up on it if the tree allows or if the ground has the cover I'll use a tree as backdrop and bush as front cover.

Managed to move a lot slower and more quietly but that's the hardest thing for me. I'm too eager to get one and I think I bump'em all before a shot comes.

Archery is tougher as we've got to be RIGHT ON the animal. So reading the sign and understanding where the deer like to move through and to is vital. With time in the field I will know more and be better, sure. But I've not seen ONE deer in range since I've started. Always more than 100 yds out.. When do I know I'm doing it right?
IMO Still hunting is really hard and dangerous to do on public land. Best thing I have realized on public is to go out find you about 3-4 spots and rotate on them and just sit and wait. Eventually you will connect. Still hunting on public land honestly IMO only benefits the other hunters that are sitting you probably are bumping more than you think. But that is just my two cents. go out find you a spot sit back and enjoy the great outdoors.

younggun308

2-Step Enabled
Around here stalking through the woods is a murderously difficult way to kill a deer with archery equipment.
With a gun it can be done, but even then you need the right terrain and wind conditions—and to move absurdly slow when approaching probable habitat (thicker stuff, benches, etc).

Let your moving be scouting, all about finding spots to set up on. Don't just find the spot, find the way to approach it without blowing it up, too.

It doesn't have to be a big rub or bedding area or food source; it can just be a travel route between those things.

Sammy231

IMO Still hunting is really hard and dangerous to do on public land. Best thing I have realized on public is to go out find you about 3-4 spots and rotate on them and just sit and wait. Eventually you will connect. Still hunting on public land honestly IMO only benefits the other hunters that are sitting you probably are bumping more than you think. But that is just my two cents. go out find you a spot sit back and enjoy the great outdoors.
Thanks for that heads up. Maybe now I can keep my head, lol. I've got those spots in mind. Its only too late to be in the field if the season is out, right?

Sammy231

Around here stalking through the woods is a murderously difficult way to kill a deer with archery equipment.
With a gun it can be done, but even then you need the right terrain and wind conditions—and to move absurdly slow when approaching probable habitat (thicker stuff, benches, etc).

Let your moving be scouting, all about finding spots to set up on. Don't just find the spot, find the way to approach it without blowing it up, too.

It doesn't have to be a big rub or bedding area or food source; it can just be a travel route between those things.
You know, that makes a lot of sense. I'll spend some time figuring out what I'm supposed to see so know when I've seen something. Good looking out!

Ski

Forego the scents and scent killer. Waste of money, especially when you're just learning. Better to save that money for a good quality clothing and footwear.

Killing a deer from ground isn't terribly hard but you're likely not going to sneak up on one. Highest odds are ambushing. Find a spot near an active trail or feed spot and hide to wait for one to come by. Don't underestimate the deers' ability to evade you but also don't give them too much credit. They're not mythical beasts with supernatural abilities. But they are masters of their environment, so you must also become a master of the environment by learning plants, trees, food sources, travel habits, etc. It's not rocket science but there is a bit to learn. Don't get overwhelmed. It takes years to learn but you'll be killing deer as you learn. Most of all just enjoy yourself.

Sammy231

Forego the scents and scent killer. Waste of money, especially when you're just learning. Better to save that money for a good quality clothing and footwear.

Killing a deer from ground isn't terribly hard but you're likely not going to sneak up on one. Highest odds are ambushing. Find a spot near an active trail or feed spot and hide to wait for one to come by. Don't underestimate the deers' ability to evade you but also don't give them too much credit. They're not mythical beasts with supernatural abilities. But they are masters of their environment, so you must also become a master of the environment by learning plants, trees, food sources, travel habits, etc. It's not rocket science but there is a bit to learn. Don't get overwhelmed. It takes years to learn but you'll be killing deer as you learn. Most of all just enjoy yourself.
Cheers, Ski! This definitely beats youtube.

I'm by Nashville so there's a few good places around.

Ski

Cheers, Ski! This definitely beats youtube.

I'm by Nashville so there's a few good places around.

YouTube has some good info but a whole lot of nonsense. It's hard to wade through sometimes. I'd recommend DIY Hunter if you're going to watch the tube. Both guys on that channel represent what hunting public land can be like if you're willing to put in the effort, and you get perspective from an old fart like me and a young guy who's still learning but already finding success.

That said, don't get wrapped up in the trophy stuff just yet. For now just learn to get on some deer and kill some. You're going to find an entirely alien, exciting set of emotions and physiological responses that you've likely never experienced before when you first find yourself face to face with a deer close enough look it in the eye. Plenty time for antlers so for now just focus on putting yourself face to face with any deer. You're gona have a blast!

Sammy231

YouTube has some good info but a whole lot of nonsense. It's hard to wade through sometimes. I'd recommend DIY Hunter if you're going to watch the tube. Both guys on that channel represent what hunting public land can be like if you're willing to put in the effort, and you get perspective from an old fart like me and a young guy who's still learning but already finding success.

That said, don't get wrapped up in the trophy stuff just yet. For now just learn to get on some deer and kill some. You're going to find an entirely alien, exciting set of emotions and physiological responses that you've likely never experienced before when you first find yourself face to face with a deer close enough look it in the eye. Plenty time for antlers so for now just focus on putting yourself face to face with any deer. You're gona have a blast!
Boy that's great to hear. This week will be full of practice and I'll see what happens this weekend!

dsa5455

My public land hunting advice.
1) Try to find at least some private hunting land if possible even small parcels. Reason: Less hunter interaction.
2) Hunting pressure is fierce in the early part of each segment on public land (bow, ml, gun) but once deer sightings go down so does hunter interest until the next segment. Reason: We hunters get discouraged easily. Stay in the woods the deer will eventually relax once pressure dies down.
3) Starting off I would hunt from elevated positions. Reason: Easier to see deer from a distance and prepare for the shot.. May help with scent especially in that small window with thermals. You may get away with a little bit more movement. You may be able to see slight pattern changes and make your adjustments.
4) Don't get caught up in all the new gadget hype: Reason: Most will not make you a better hunter. I am living proof and I have owned most of it.
5) Don't let pressure be put on yourself from within or from without to succeed. Reason: It is a sport that can take over every moment of your life like any other sport if you let it. Most seasoned hunters will tell you they fell into this trap at some point and became miserable. Just ask their wives who had to listen.
6) On pubic land I would stay in the stand longer than others. Reason: Most hunters come out around 9 am. We always stayed till 11 am. and would often have opportunities from deer getting bumped.

Welcome to the hunting site by the way

Last edited:

TNGRIZZLY_

2-Step Enabled
First: welcome to the great campfire on the web.
Second: A lot of great advice already given.
My advice is to sit and watch a good trail, to much walking will move deer away. During the cold days, 10am to 2pm seems to be a great time for hunting covers or escape trails.
Most of all, have fun and just enjoy yourself. It will come together soon enough. Good luck

dsa5455

To answer your question, "When do I know I am doing it right?" If you went into the woods to hunt and saw deer 100 yards away on more than one occasion I would say that is a success. You found where they are traveling; now you need to narrow that gap to at least 20 yards with a bow. Best of luck hope to see pictures soon.

Sammy231

My public land hunting advice.
1) Try to find at least some private hunting land if possible even small parcels. Reason: Less hunter interaction.
2) Hunting pressure is fierce in the early part of each segment on public land (bow, ml, gun) but once deer sightings go down so does hunter interest until the next segment. Reason: We hunters get discouraged easily. Stay in the woods the deer will eventually relax once pressure dies down.
3) Starting off I would hunt from elevated positions. Reason: Easier to see deer from a distance and prepare for the shot.. May help with scent especially in that small window with thermals. You may get away with a little bit more movement. You may be able to see slight pattern changes and make your adjustments.
4) Don't get caught up in all the new gadget hype: Reason: Most will not make you a better hunter. I am living proof and I have owned most of it.
5) Don't let pressure be put on yourself from within or from without to succeed. Reason: It is a sport that can take over every moment of your life like any other sport if you let it. Most seasoned hunters will tell you they fell into this trap at some point and became miserable. Just ask their wives who had to listen.
6) On pubic land I would stay in the stand longer than others. Reason: Most hunters come out around 9 am. We always stayed till 11 am. and would often have opportunities from deer getting bumped.

Welcome to the hunting site by the way
Thank you brotherman. I'll keep these tips in mind as I go! Most I'm implementing now and hope to see some success because of all your guys's encouraging words.

Sammy231

First: welcome to the great campfire on the web.
Second: A lot of great advice already given.
My advice is to sit and watch a good trail, to much walking will move deer away. During the cold days, 10am to 2pm seems to be a great time for hunting covers or escape trails.
Most of all, have fun and just enjoy yourself. It will come together soon enough. Good luck
Sick! If I can get good enough at this maybe I can move to some cool hunting like the mountains. Thanks Grizz!

Latest posts