New Hunter In the House - Am I doing it right?

Kevin Snook

Good Morning crew. Name's Sammy. Finally managed to get into hunting after being curious for some years. I've had no one to mentor me on the subject matter except for youtube and google. I come for guidance since so many of yall here know how to bring a deer home.

Since the start of season this year I've gone out only to public land within reasonable reach (they're all archery only) and seem to meet a few hunters at each location, each time. Generally I've only got weekends for proper sits or still hunts and my skills definitely need sharpening if Imma sneak up on deer.

I got a trail cam, crossbow, guttin/skinning knife, camo, and scent killer. I've jerry rigged a rappel seat from climbing rope and used whats left to make a SRT Saddle climbing system. I've ghillied up my old OCP's and everytime I hit the field with odorless clothes, I dig up fresh dirt and rub it from head to toe and I spray a little doe in estrus on the sides of my boots.

I head out in search of sign like tracks, rubs, scrapes, feeding evidence, and that's about it. If I find something I think is hot or at least a day old I'll set up on it if the tree allows or if the ground has the cover I'll use a tree as backdrop and bush as front cover.

Managed to move a lot slower and more quietly but that's the hardest thing for me. I'm too eager to get one and I think I bump'em all before a shot comes.

Archery is tougher as we've got to be RIGHT ON the animal. So reading the sign and understanding where the deer like to move through and to is vital. With time in the field I will know more and be better, sure. But I've not seen ONE deer in range since I've started. Always more than 100 yds out.. When do I know I'm doing it right?
Put the wind in your face and the sun at your back….😉

TNCharlie

Excellent advice here. I will add this.
Many (most?) of us here hunt deer to some degree all year long. We only kill deer during hunting season. Become a year-round hunter.

How? One fairly simple thing to do is go to parks that have deer and observe them all year long. You will learn about their body language and travel habits. You will also learn to distinguish between a buck and doe, or fawn from a grown deer.

If it's accessible take walks (hunt, but obviously with no weapon) in the off-season on the public lands you want to hunt . Not only will you learn about deer, but also about the lay of the land, where landmarks are, etc. Then in hunting season you can concentrate on killing a deer and not figuring out the other stuff.

Arguably the best way to learn is to become a good squirrel hunter. The seasons are very long; there is even a spring season and the fall season begins before and extends well after deer season. It will give you practice in sitting and observing and gives you extra incentive to get into the woods. And getting into the woods anytime you can is proabably the best advice you can be given.

Creek

I didn't read all the replies, so this might be redundant.

Welcome to TNDeer!
Just so you are not disappointed in the future, I would consider a flat broadside shot at a doe, at close range. You will have a considerable amount of work to do after that. When you sink your teeth in a juicy backstrap, I believe you will be a happy camper. There are many different ways to cook and consume venison.

Sammy231

I didn't read all the replies, so this might be redundant.

Welcome to TNDeer!
Just so you are not disappointed in the future, I would consider a flat broadside shot at a doe, at close range. You will have a considerable amount of work to do after that. When you sink your teeth in a juicy backstrap, I believe you will be a happy camper. There are many different ways to cook and consume venison.
Cheers Creek! I'll remember that as one makes it past me enroute to food or bed!

Sammy231

Excellent advice here. I will add this.
Many (most?) of us here hunt deer to some degree all year long. We only kill deer during hunting season. Become a year-round hunter.

How? One fairly simple thing to do is go to parks that have deer and observe them all year long. You will learn about their body language and travel habits. You will also learn to distinguish between a buck and doe, or fawn from a grown deer.

If it's accessible take walks (hunt, but obviously with no weapon) in the off-season on the public lands you want to hunt . Not only will you learn about deer, but also about the lay of the land, where landmarks are, etc. Then in hunting season you can concentrate on killing a deer and not figuring out the other stuff.

Arguably the best way to learn is to become a good squirrel hunter. The seasons are very long; there is even a spring season and the fall season begins before and extends well after deer season. It will give you practice in sitting and observing and gives you extra incentive to get into the woods. And getting into the woods anytime you can is proabably the best advice you can be given.
A year round hunter. Now that's an idea!

WestTn Huntin man

2-Step Enabled
Studies with collared deer have shown often a hunter can walk by a bedded deer and they won't budge.
It's better to put scent on a drag. Putting the scent on your boots will get you busted up in a tree.
End of season sales oughta be starting soon. Get a good climbing stand and spend the off season practicing climbing and shooting. Be patient and it'll become 2nd nature. Public Land deer around Nashville get a lot of pressure and are very well educated

philsanchez76

Best advice someone gave me when I started: walk quietly until you bump deer. Mark where you saw those deer and figure out why they were there. Were they laying down (bedding area)? Were they traveling? This is best done after season ends because there are no other hunters in the woods. Spend as much time as you can in the woods in Jan- March. You'll see a lot more deer cuz they are not pressured so you can actually learn what they are doing. This will make for a great 2024 season for you.

Ski

Alot of good advice but if you can find out how deer assassin does it you'll kill deer. Deer fall at his feet , they just commit suicide 😁 what's he killed so far about a hundred 😏

Brian Cox Hbo GIF by SuccessionHBO

Snake

Alot of good advice but if you can find out how deer assassin does it you'll kill deer. Deer fall at his feet , they just commit suicide 😁 what's he killed so far about a hundred 😏 this year ...
Thats an offer hard to pass that up brother.
If you turn him down your snatching a blessing out from under him , just in case there are restrictions be sure to abide by them . He's offered a good thing don't blow it, with that said your response indicates you won't. Hope you have success !

J.A.F.O.

Welcome brotherman,you've already been bestowed with about 2-3 years of hard woods work by the very generous people that have replied before me so I won't add anything else but just have a good time and the all season/squirrel hunter advice is golden. If you ever make it east yell at me. We can hit up some mountain public. 👊🏻

MidTennFisher

You've already gotten a ton of good advice in here. As for the squirrel hunting, hit them hard right after deer season. You'll see very few people in the woods. And you'll probably bump a lot of deer. Don't worry about bumping them now, they'll forget well before next September. So you'll start accidentally finding bedding areas. Keep an eye out for sign of browse, deer poop, deer trails, etc. so you've got spots for next season.

And the Winter is the best time to scout anyway because it's nice and cool. You can see further into the woods and there are no ticks. Enjoy it!

Chickenrig

Welcome Sammy
Sit a spell and enjoy the best campfire on the web !!! You sure have come to the right place to learn . There are many archers on here that can lead you down the road to a successful hunt and a safe one . Most of all , take in, enjoy,protect,and thank our God for what he has provided you .

Latest posts