New Hunter - First Hunting Rifle Suggestions

Snake

Made the switch to single shots 18 years ago & no regrets at all. Actually like the challenge and have used them on deer, elk, antelope & black bear. Believe I've only had to use 2nd shot one time since making switch.

Have a safe full of bolt actions plus 3 Encores & 2 Handi- Rifles. My favorite deer caliber is a 7-08 with 120gr Barnes TTSX. 90% of the time I use one of Encores in that caliber.

Have hunting guns from .243 to .338 Win Mag. However, given the ammo situation the past few years if I'd stick with a 270, 308 or 30-06 due to availability.

Welcome to the hunting world!
I was going to recommend an Encore as well but they are not cheap . 7mm08 or just be a man 7mm mag 😂 J/K . The Thompson Encore is an excellent choice I have three different caliber barrels with mine but it will be a tad more pricey even if it's used.

SolaBeard

I was going to recommend an Encore as well but they are not cheap . 7mm08 or just be a man 7mm mag 😂 J/K . The Thompson Encore is an excellent choice I have three different caliber barrels with mine but it will be a tad more pricey even if it's used.
Yeah, I looked at the Encores but they're out of my range for the time being.

I'll ask the same question: would you recommend a single shot for a new hunter? Have you had any situations where you wish you would have had a bolt-action instead?

Snake

Yeah, I looked at the Encores but they're out of my range for the time being.

I'll ask the same question: would you recommend a single shot for a new hunter? Have you had any situations where you wish you would have had a bolt-action instead?
My personal preference would be no , probably a bolt action . But it's you alot of people hunt with single shot . My grandson hunted with mine and I've hunted with it at times but my choice is the Ruger M77 in 7mm mag . Wouldn't mind the 7mm08 though. The Encore has a butt sleeve with shells in it so you can reload rather quickly .

Pilchard

Just a thought… I've never been carrying a bolt action and thought "man, I wish I had less bullets in this thing"…. But on more than one occasion having a quick 2nd shot has allowed me to shoot the deer a 2nd time or shoot a 2nd deer.

tellico4x4

The only bad thing about an Encore is they are not being made and finding them and or barrels are expensive
True but I have bought several actions for less than $250 used & barrels as well. Last few barrels I had built at Match Grade Machine or Mike Bellum's. One advantage to having them built is that they can be properly throated for the bullet intend to shoot.

basset

Don't have any experience with the Ruger so I don't have an opinion on it. Around that price point, though, I've had a Remington 783 and a Savage Axis 1, the low end model without the adjustable trigger, both in 308.
The Remington was junk, cheaply made and wouldn't shoot straight or even fire every time. Went back for factory service twice and I ended up getting a refund, spent the money on an Axis and have been totally satisfied with it, plastic stock and all. Put a Nikon scope on it, reliable and accurate combination.
And age is not an issue, I was past fifty when I killed my first deer.

Longbow2240

Now I'm intrigued 😂 Do you use a scope on your Henry or the iron sights? What are your thoughts on a new hunter using a single shot? Do you think you tend to be a more methodical hunter with the Henry?
I've got a Vortex Crossfire2 3x9x40 on mine. Highly recommend a new hunter with a single shot. I hunted with a T/C Contender and an Encore for years. I'm a firm believer in shot placement is the most important part. You'll get it in your mind that you've got that one shot, so make it count.

SolaBeard

I've got a Vortex Crossfire2 3x9x40 on mine. Highly recommend a new hunter with a single shot. I hunted with a T/C Contender and an Encore for years. I'm a firm believer in shot placement is the most important part. You'll get it in your mind that you've got that one shot, so make it count.
I totally appreciate that philosophy! For a first gun, would you recommend the Henry or something like the Scout? I've heard the Henry has close to a 9 lb trigger. Is that the case with yours? If so, is that an issue?

Longbow2240

I totally appreciate that philosophy! For a first gun, would you recommend the Henry or something like the Scout? I've heard the Henry has close to a 9 lb trigger. Is that the case with yours? If so, is that an issue?
Personally I'd go with the Henry. Hard to beat the quality and craftsmanship with the Henry. Definitely a pass down to generations Rifle. I have no problem with the trigger, although I don't think mine is 9lb pull. I'm thinking more around 4 or 5lb. I just took a day and shot a couple hours, sighting in scope and getting the feel of the rifle. So I don't pay much attention to it now. I guess.
Here's a pic to help with your decision.🙃
857438E6-0304-4781-A802-37AA21EBBEE6.jpeg

Last edited:

SolaBeard

Personally I'd go with the Henry. Hard to beat the quality and craftsmanship with the Henry. Definitely a pass down to generations Rifle. I have no problem with the trigger, although I don't think mine is 9lb pull. I'm thinking more around 4 or 5lb. I just took a day and shot a couple hours, sighting in scope and getting the feel of the rifle. So I don't pay much attention to it now. I guess.
I also like that the Henry gives you the option to use iron sights. Do you opt for them much?

mayberryrick

Here's a pic to help with your decision.🙃
View attachment 163310

Awesome picture!!!

trout

You have gotten excellent advice from a very experienced group of sportsmen. Consider 350 legend is a relatively new straight walled cartridge. This has very low recoil and good ballistics. This caliber is also becoming more widely accepted in a single shot as a primitive weapon. While good optics are important, you should start on the lowest power to allow for the largest field of view and quicker target acquisition. Finally, I would not recommend an older lever action. I started with a lever action 30/30 nearly 50 years ago, racking a round leaves hammer back and ready to fire. You probably don't want to be slow releasing the hammer to half cocked on a loaded gun.

Wishing you the best of luck hunting in 2023!

TN Larry

Ultimately, you should go somewhere with several different brands and handle them to see what fits you. Between Academy and Walmart, they should have the Ruger and Axis to handle. I would definitely recommend a bolt gun over a single shot but wouldn't bother me to head to the woods with a single shot.

6.5 creedmoor is another caliber recommendation that you see ammo and lots of guns at stores. I know where a used Ruger American is in 6.5 with a Burris scope if interested and also 6.5 ammo for sale.

You mention having land to hunt around Cookeville. If you are new at hunting, I am in Putnam County and might could give you some pointers if close to me and not on the other side of the county.

Good luck with what you decide. My advice is to use the advice that you have but ultimately you need to buy the gun that fits you in terms of brand. There are tons of great calibers out there that will kill in all situations in TN. 308, 6.5 creed, 7mm-08, 30-06, 270, 7 mag along with many more……….I have killed with 243 up to 7mm mag and many in between. Caliber really comes down to personal preference along with factory ammo availability if you don't reload. 308 has been the easiest ammo to find during the past few years and why I recommended it with your initial choices. It's a great caliber but one that I don't currently own.

Latest posts