New Hunter - First Hunting Rifle Suggestions

basset

That's awesome! What got you in to hunting? Also, are you still using your Axis?
I grew up small game hunting and got away from it as I moved around for work. Finally got invited to my father in law's deer camp later in life and went from there.

Still shooting the Axis, haven't used my 30-30 Marlin lever in quite some time.

Gravey

Welcome to the sport of deer hunting. It's never too late so don't worry about that. Lots of good calibers that will do the job. My first rifle my parents bought me when I was 13 was a 30-06. Only other 2 calibers I've owned and killed deer with are the .243 and .270. Mostly hunt with the .270 these days although I hunted this year with a .243 acquired from a relative that passed of Covid a year and a half ago. Just wanted to get it bloody and did so Friday afternoon. Good luck and just have fun.

mike243

I don't take shoulder shots on deer and don't recommend them, Have seen multiple posts on lost deer with all kinds of calibers on here, I take bow shots with any gun I shoot, And I don't mean the folks who shoot shoulders with arrows lol. I have a lot of bang flops with my 243 as long as I didn't use a premium bullet designed to penetrate. I use a AR and a 300wm most of the time, both work fine but have never felt under gunned with a 243. I have a single shot 17HMR , love the accuracy but hate the reload time to take another critter. not a lot of difference in price, here is a recoil chart just for comparison, here are some links to compare. https://www.chuckhawks.com/rifle_ballistics_table.htm#:~:text=Rifle Ballistics Summary By Chuck Hawks There are,any ballistics table should be taken as approximate.

Last edited:

Huntaholic

Ok, this one wasn't even on my radar, and nobody has mentioned it. Do you own one?
Yes I own one. In addition to that I have several friends who also own them and every single one of them are VERY accurate rifles! It was a joint venture between TC and Smith & Wesson to try to get into the bolt action rifle game and they went ALL OUT! Just going off memory here but its a 60 degree bolt lift, fully floated barrel, 5R rifled barrel, threaded barrel, fully adjustable trigger, 3 position safety, and all for a grand total of $204 when I got mine after the mail in rebate.

SolaBeard

Yes I own one. In addition to that I have several friends who also own them and every single one of them are VERY accurate rifles! It was a joint venture between TC and Smith & Wesson to try to get into the bolt action rifle game and they went ALL OUT! Just going off memory here but its a 60 degree bolt lift, fully floated barrel, 5R rifled barrel, threaded barrel, fully adjustable trigger, 3 position safety, and all for a grand total of $204 when I got mine after the mail in rebate.
Sounds great. I'll check it out!

SolaBeard

I agree that the Compass is a good gun as well. Another to consider is a Mossberg Patriot. I'm not much of a Mossberg fan in general but decent cheaper rifles.
I've looked into those quite a bit but I've not seen a lot of great reviews. Held one with a wooden stock a few weeks ago, and it felt pretty good. I don't know enough about them just by feeling, though.

SolaBeard

Seems like it's tough to find some of the guns I've mentioned. Is there a good time of the year to buy rifles or when shops are restocked? Specifically thinking of the Henry Single Shot, CVA Scout and T/C Compass. I obviously see Americans and Axis everywhere.

TN Larry

I've looked into those quite a bit but I've not seen a lot of great reviews. Held one with a wooden stock a few weeks ago, and it felt pretty good. I don't know enough about them just by feeling, though.
My son and and both have one as a backup gun and shoot very well. They have cerakoted fluted barrels, jeweled bolt, and his is threaded. I had a Compass as a backup gun and sold it to buy a Patriot after handling and feeling my sons. If you have an academy nearby, stop by there and feel of all of their guns.

Huntaholic

Ok, I know its PROBABLY just me being anal retentive, but I havent shot an axis or whatever the other one it replaced was, that shot worth a tinkers damn. The stocks are as flexible as wet noodles! One of the guys I know who now owns a compass came to me with one of those savages in 6.5 Jesusmore and it wouldnt hardly hit the target at 100 yards. I could lock it down on the bench and flex that flimsy stock and move the scope clean off the target. He sold it, bought a compass and had money left over!

philsanchez76

Im not reading every reply, but if it hasnt been mentioned, if you can find a TC Compass, there isnt a better gun out there even at 3 times the cost.
my wife just got one of these in 6.5 creed more as a gift. I havn't set it up yet, but now im interested. What do you like so much about them?

348Winchester

Go to a gun show and spend a day walking around handling different types of rifles. Really feel the rifle. Hold it in your hand like you would carry it one handed. Snap it to your shoulder and see how it points for you. If it has a sling, see how it feels slung. Check to see if it is muzzle heavy or well balanced when at your shoulder. Cycle the action whilst the gun is at your shoulder. Manipulate the safety and see if it´s easy and comfortable for you and if it makes a loud click when disengaged. Try many different makes, models, and styles. You will carry/cradle a rifle a lot so it is very important that it fits you well and is easy to carry in sundry positions.

A rifle should be accurate or it is useless. A deer rifle does not have to be a tack driver but should be able to shoot well enough to consistently hit a paper plate sized target at 100 yards. Hunting in east Tennessee like I do, shots are very frequently less than 50 yards.

Each of us is built differently so there are no universal fits with firearms. Each of us have different hunting styles as well. For me a lever action rifle is the top choice for stillhunting slowly through the woods. When on stand I prefer a single shot carbine for it is easier to maneuver due to being compact. The levergun will wear a nice receiver (peep) sight with ghost ring aperture for quick and easy point shooting at frequently moving game. The stand rifle will have a nice clear scope of variable power.

Caliber for a beginner should be based on ammunition cost and availability. In today´s market the 308 would be a good choice but 30-06, 270, and 30-30 would be fine choices too.

There are gun shows the next two weekends in Knoxville. That would be a good opportunity to handle a plethora of rifles to see what best fits you. It should also be mentioned that a good pump shotgun would serve you well in the deer woods and may be more to your liking.

themanpcl

Hey guys! I'm a bit embarrassed to admit, but I'm in my 30s and have never been hunting, nor have I ever owned a rifle. I'm in East Tennessee, and the goal is to go hunting next season. I would like to go ahead and buy a rifle within a month or two (been wanting one for a while anyway).

With that being said, I've being doing a ton of research on rifles and calibers/cartridges, and while I'm not dead set on a caliber, I'm leaning toward a .308 or a .243.

So far, these are the rifles I'm considering:
- Savage Axis II
- Ruger American
- CVA Scout
- Henry Single Shot (H015)

A few things I'm contemplating:

1) I love the thought of a single shot rifle. I think a slow, methodical, picky style of hunting would be challenging, yet rewarding. I know this can still be the goal with a bolt action rifle, but there's something about a single shot I'm drawn towards.

2) I'd like to stick with a budget-friendly option considering other gear I'd need to buy.

I'd really appreciate any and all input you have about these guns or similar ones that I didn't mention. Looking forward to getting in the woods later this year!
I would look at the situations which you will be hunting to determine the appropriate caliber and then determine the platform. Do you plan to hunt hardwoods/ mountain timber/brush/swamp areas? From the ground or a stand? Open fields (200+yard shots). Will you hike in (weight of rifle) Will you hunt a climber/lock on/shooting house or out of a saddle? (Rifle weight and length may be a factor) Will you practice a lot? (Ammo prices and availability issues) Every option has a tradeoff. Shoot many and hopefully only have to buy a few :)

DMD

Hey guys! I'm a bit embarrassed to admit, but I'm in my 30s and have never been hunting, nor have I ever owned a rifle. I'm in East Tennessee, and the goal is to go hunting next season. I would like to go ahead and buy a rifle within a month or two (been wanting one for a while anyway).

With that being said, I've being doing a ton of research on rifles and calibers/cartridges, and while I'm not dead set on a caliber, I'm leaning toward a .308 or a .243.

So far, these are the rifles I'm considering:
- Savage Axis II
- Ruger American
- CVA Scout
- Henry Single Shot (H015)

A few things I'm contemplating:

1) I love the thought of a single shot rifle. I think a slow, methodical, picky style of hunting would be challenging, yet rewarding. I know this can still be the goal with a bolt action rifle, but there's something about a single shot I'm drawn towards.

2) I'd like to stick with a budget-friendly option considering other gear I'd need to buy.

I'd really appreciate any and all input you have about these guns or similar ones that I didn't mention. Looking forward to getting in the woods later this year!
If you are desirous of a single shot, I'd consider getting a CVA Optima muzzleloader and hunting with it - that would give you two more weeks during the best part of the season to hunt. Just a thought. Either way, welcome to the world of gun hunting whitetails. I hope you fill many tags.

SolaBeard

If you are desirous of a single shot, I'd consider getting a CVA Optima muzzleloader and hunting with it - that would give you two more weeks during the best part of the season to hunt. Just a thought. Either way, welcome to the world of gun hunting whitetails. I hope you fill many tags.
Would you recommend a muzzleloader as a new hunter's first rifle?

SolaBeard

Go to a gun show and spend a day walking around handling different types of rifles. Really feel the rifle. Hold it in your hand like you would carry it one handed. Snap it to your shoulder and see how it points for you. If it has a sling, see how it feels slung. Check to see if it is muzzle heavy or well balanced when at your shoulder. Cycle the action whilst the gun is at your shoulder. Manipulate the safety and see if it´s easy and comfortable for you and if it makes a loud click when disengaged. Try many different makes, models, and styles. You will carry/cradle a rifle a lot so it is very important that it fits you well and is easy to carry in sundry positions.

A rifle should be accurate or it is useless. A deer rifle does not have to be a tack driver but should be able to shoot well enough to consistently hit a paper plate sized target at 100 yards. Hunting in east Tennessee like I do, shots are very frequently less than 50 yards.

Each of us is built differently so there are no universal fits with firearms. Each of us have different hunting styles as well. For me a lever action rifle is the top choice for stillhunting slowly through the woods. When on stand I prefer a single shot carbine for it is easier to maneuver due to being compact. The levergun will wear a nice receiver (peep) sight with ghost ring aperture for quick and easy point shooting at frequently moving game. The stand rifle will have a nice clear scope of variable power.

Caliber for a beginner should be based on ammunition cost and availability. In today´s market the 308 would be a good choice but 30-06, 270, and 30-30 would be fine choices too.

There are gun shows the next two weekends in Knoxville. That would be a good opportunity to handle a plethora of rifles to see what best fits you. It should also be mentioned that a good pump shotgun would serve you well in the deer woods and may be more to your liking.
Great thoughts here. Thanks! Are there any specific budget-friendly lever actions you'd recommend?

Latest posts