New Hunter - First Hunting Rifle Suggestions

Shooter77

2-Step Enabled
Hey guys! I'm a bit embarrassed to admit, but I'm in my 30s and have never been hunting, nor have I ever owned a rifle. I'm in East Tennessee, and the goal is to go hunting next season. I would like to go ahead and buy a rifle within a month or two (been wanting one for a while anyway).

With that being said, I've being doing a ton of research on rifles and calibers/cartridges, and while I'm not dead set on a caliber, I'm leaning toward a .308 or a .243.

So far, these are the rifles I'm considering:
- Savage Axis II
- Ruger American
- CVA Scout
- Henry Single Shot (H015)

A few things I'm contemplating:

1) I love the thought of a single shot rifle. I think a slow, methodical, picky style of hunting would be challenging, yet rewarding. I know this can still be the goal with a bolt action rifle, but there's something about a single shot I'm drawn towards.

2) I'd like to stick with a budget-friendly option considering other gear I'd need to buy.

I'd really appreciate any and all input you have about these guns or similar ones that I didn't mention. Looking forward to getting in the woods later this year!
First thing, welcome to the site and to hunting. It's a great sport that will humble you and have you so amped up in the same minute.

I have all 4 rifles you listed, Axis is nice, but it's not great. If you can wait and pick up a 2nd rifle on black friday, Bass Pro had them for 299.99. Picked up a 2nd rifle for my son's Christmas (6.5 CM and this was .350 legend). If you've not shot any of these, ask around for people in your area or on here that can take you shoot one day and try different guns and calibers.

As many as said, a .308 is a great round and that Ruger is a amazing gun in it. The scout is hard to beat. I have 6.5, 350 legend, 44 mag, 20 gauge slug, and something else I can't remember at the moment. The scout is light and recoil can be felt for sure. A good scope is a must also. There is some good deals right now on hunting scopes such as Vortex and Leupold.

send me a PM, I've probably got some stuff I would give you to help you get started.

Good luck on your journey.

SolaBeard

First thing, welcome to the site and to hunting. It's a great sport that will humble you and have you so amped up in the same minute.

I have all 4 rifles you listed, Axis is nice, but it's not great. If you can wait and pick up a 2nd rifle on black friday, Bass Pro had them for 299.99. Picked up a 2nd rifle for my son's Christmas (6.5 CM and this was .350 legend). If you've not shot any of these, ask around for people in your area or on here that can take you shoot one day and try different guns and calibers.

As many as said, a .308 is a great round and that Ruger is a amazing gun in it. The scout is hard to beat. I have 6.5, 350 legend, 44 mag, 20 gauge slug, and something else I can't remember at the moment. The scout is light and recoil can be felt for sure. A good scope is a must also. There is some good deals right now on hunting scopes such as Vortex and Leupold.

send me a PM, I've probably got some stuff I would give you to help you get started.

Good luck on your journey.
That's awesome, thanks for the offer!

What are your thoughts on the 350 legend for hunting in East Tennessee, mainly heavily wooded areas?

Shanman

I started out with an old 30-30 model 94 Winchester with iron sights. Dad said once I was good with the iron sights then I could move into a scoped rifle. If I had to pick just one for East Tn. mountain hunting that would be it, fantastic brush gun. Moved on to a scoped 30-06 and life got better, the scope made a HUGE difference on longer shots 100yd +. Used that old 30-06 up until a few years ago, then I took the boy's Savage Axis compact 7mm-08 one trip and fell in love again. Super lightweight and short, alot easier to maneuver while in a tree. Picked up a Ruger American compact 7mm-08 for myself after that, it's a little tack driver too. Presently using a Bergara in 7mm-08 and it's the perfect gun "For Me". I personally went with a 7mm-08 because there is a larger selection of bullet weights versus the 243, and it's more than enough for deer. If hog and bear are on your list then one of the 30cals might be better for you. One thing to think about with a scope and especially if you don't have a backup rifle, is the fact that if you drop/bump it out of alignment, then you'll have to sight it back in. That would really stink during hunting season when time is precious. The guys are giving you some great advice and you'll not go wrong with anything they've suggested. One thing is for sure......you'll not stop at one toy. 😉 Good luck and have fun in this process! 👍

348Winchester

Great thoughts here. Thanks! Are there any specific budget-friendly lever actions you'd recommend?
I would only consider makes for a woodland toter. Winchester or Marlin. Myself, I prefer the Winchester for it is more nimble in my opinion and being a John Browning design, it is better mechanically. The Marlin, however is a close second. Neither, unfortunately are budget friendly. Expect to pay $800 + for a nice one. You may find one with a rough finish for less.

SolaBeard

I started out with an old 30-30 model 94 Winchester with iron sights. Dad said once I was good with the iron sights then I could move into a scoped rifle. If I had to pick just one for East Tn. mountain hunting that would be it, fantastic brush gun. Moved on to a scoped 30-06 and life got better, the scope made a HUGE difference on longer shots 100yd +. Used that old 30-06 up until a few years ago, then I took the boy's Savage Axis compact 7mm-08 one trip and fell in love again. Super lightweight and short, alot easier to maneuver while in a tree. Picked up a Ruger American compact 7mm-08 for myself after that, it's a little tack driver too. Presently using a Bergara in 7mm-08 and it's the perfect gun "For Me". I personally went with a 7mm-08 because there is a larger selection of bullet weights versus the 243, and it's more than enough for deer. If hog and bear are on your list then one of the 30cals might be better for you. One thing to think about with a scope and especially if you don't have a backup rifle, is the fact that if you drop/bump it out of alignment, then you'll have to sight it back in. That would really stink during hunting season when time is precious. The guys are giving you some great advice and you'll not go wrong with anything they've suggested. One thing is for sure......you'll not stop at one toy. 😉 Good luck and have fun in this process! 👍
Good things to consider here, thanks! I've also considered 7mm-08. I appreciate the input!

DMD

Would you recommend a muzzleloader as a new hunter's first rifle?
Sure. Why not? Modern muzzleloaders are extremely accurate, easy to load and maintain. Most are accurate out to 150-200 yards or more. I love ML hunting. The biggest advantage in Tennessee - Muzzleload season is the absolute best time to whitetail hunt, imo.

SolaBeard

Sure. Why not? Modern muzzleloaders are extremely accurate, easy to load and maintain. Most are accurate out to 150-200 yards or more. I love ML hunting. The biggest advantage in Tennessee - Muzzleload season is the absolute best time to whitetail hunt, imo.
I'll have to look into it more. Do you have any resources you've come to trust (YouTube, podcasts, books, etc.)? I know nothing about ML 😅

Tenntrapper

Something else to consider...how much shooting experience do you have? If complete newby, you are going to need to be practicing. Going the 308 route would be my suggestion. Plenty of affordable ammo, and if on a really tight budget, you can shoot 7.62x51 surplus ammo in it....just for targets.
Although getting better, finding supplies for a ML can be a challenge....not to mention all the intricacies of loading and cleaning one. Not difficult...just extra precautions need to be taken.

SolaBeard

Something else to consider...how much shooting experience do you have? If complete newby, you are going to need to be practicing. Going the 308 route would be my suggestion. Plenty of affordable ammo, and if on a really tight budget, you can shoot 7.62x51 surplus ammo in it....just for targets.
Although getting better, finding supplies for a ML can be a challenge....not to mention all the intricacies of loading and cleaning one. Not difficult...just extra precautions need to be taken.
While I've never shot a rifle, I've owned and shot handguns for several years. I'm not a frequent shooter, but I'm not new. Although I'd want to send several rounds through my rifle before taking it to the woods.

Currently I'm still leaning toward a CVA Scout, and they do not offer it in .308. Been considering .243, 350 Legend or 7mm-08. Got a preference of those three calibers?

But I haven't ruled out an Axis or American in .308 either.

Tenntrapper

While I've never shot a rifle, I've owned and shot handguns for several years. I'm not a frequent shooter, but I'm not new. Although I'd want to send several rounds through my rifle before taking it to the woods.

Currently I'm still leaning toward a CVA Scout, and they do not offer it in .308. Been considering .243, 350 Legend or 7mm-08. Got a preference of those three calibers?

But I haven't ruled out an Axis or American in .308 either.
Of those 3...7/08... But ammo can be difficult

redblood

I'd pick the Ruger out of those mentioned, and 243 or 308 is fine imo.

Personally, and meaning no insult to anyone, I'd hold out and save for a little higher quality rifle. JMO, and again meaning no insult, as I love my old budget Savage 110E 30/06 that I bought as a fifteen year old kid, and nowadays I carry on rainy day hunts.

I'm ending the season carrying it this weekend, and short of being as ugly as homemade sin, it's super accurate and dependable. Again, just my stupid old opinion.
id agree if that was a possibility.

maybe an older rem 700 in walnut- adl, bdl or cdl
even better a model 70 classic series or cz 550 series. really a fan of the model 70 featherweights
and if you can swing it a kimber 84 is realy nice and amazing light and trim

ttf909

I'd go with 308 in the ruger.
One thing not mentioned, waterproof backpack.
Watch Dan infant on YouTube aka hunting beast. Most time he doesn't wear camo. Usually just street clothes and kills some great bucks.
Cat man and infalt routinely wear crocks while hunting.

redblood

I'd go with 308 in the ruger.
One thing not mentioned, waterproof backpack.
Watch Dan infant on YouTube aka hunting beast. Most time he doesn't wear camo. Usually just street clothes and kills some great bucks.
Cat man and infalt routinely wear crocks while hunting.
camo is for people not deer- they are dang near blind

i would consider it essential for turkey

Latest posts