New Hunter - First Hunting Rifle Suggestions

SolaBeard

Congrats on your hunting decision. You're never too old. It's such a satisfying sport regardless of the results. Hunt trees and take in the sunrise and you'll never be disappointed.
Thank you! I'm excited about it. I have two children (6 year old and a 2 year old). Part of my thought process about getting started was not wanting my kids to have to learn to hunt from another man if they ever show interest. Might sound silly but it's true.

Also, though my dad never hunted when I was growing up, I'd like to try to get him out there with me a couple of times just to spend the time with him. I love the idea of it being a journey that can last a lifetime.

SolaBeard

Just my opinion, but I'd go with a Ruger American and definitely in 308. Plenty of ammo for a 308 right now. Very little recoil. In my experience a 308 has proven to have a lot of knockdown power. Sure a 243 will be plenty. I've killed deer with both. It's about shot placement, but If you happen to pull off or the deer turns or ducks…the 308 should do it's job.

Good luck
Thank you!

SolaBeard

Definitely Ruger American and caliber choice is up to you. I'll admit 308 is plentiful right now but 243 is not hard to find either. The 308 will and can kick like a rented mule if using higher weight bullets. Me personally, I like the 243 cause I feel like the lighter recoil lends to me being more accurate.
Thanks for your input!

SolaBeard

Or know what distances most of your shots will be. Thick stuff might want a short lever action. In 44 or a30/30 but in all the gun will have to fit your budget and style of hunting.
Just guessing, I'll probably not shoot past 75–100 yards. Kind of goes back to my philosophy of slow, methodical, sure kills.

What model of lever action would you recommend?

SolaBeard

Where in East TN are you located? Unless you have plenty of property of your own you'll need a place to shoot and practice, a lot, before next season. A couple of ranges nearby if you live close enough. Welcome to the site!
I will be around Knox, Roane and Anderson counties. Might also hunt some in the Cookeville area where I'm originally from. My in-laws have some land where I should be able to get some good practice before the start of the season.

SolaBeard

Thanks for all the replies; they're super helpful! For all of you that have said the Ruger, would you recommend the Standard or the Predator? (Didn't mention the Ranch since it isn't offered in any of the calibers I mentioned)

Chiflyguy

Hey dude
Just bought an Axis II. The accutrigger screwed up a shot for me but it was my fault.
It's a very accurate gun and at $499 with a bushnell scope I like it.
I got the .308. Kicks less than my CVA Accura. Ammo is plentiful.
There's some great knowledge here. If the majority says go with the Ruger, I'd go with a Ruger.
Nothin to be embarrassed about. Started deer hunting at 38 and got two under my belt.
Bought my first centerfire rifle 6 months ago.
I'm by no means hardcore. Here it is the day before season closes and I'm sitting in the house drinking coffee.
I'd rather be fishing😀

Stumpsitter

My son has a CVA scout in .243. It's an absolute tack driver with federal fusion 90 grain ammunition. He's taken 2 deer with it and both were dropped where they were shot.
No matter what gun/caliber you choose, don't short yourself by putting a POS optic on it. Spend the $ on good glass. Good luck.

EastTNHunter

2-Step Enabled
First of all, no need to be embarrassed. We all had to start somewhere, and some of us (like myself) who started young didn't necessarily start out "right." Lots of what I had learned early had to be unlearned, and I had to learn the "right way" on some things the hard way, which was in adulthood. Ask questions, and learn, and this is a good place to do that. Some answers about tactics will be area or situationally correct, but may or may not work for you in your area or situation. Whatever you do, put different tactics into practice, find out what works, always keep learning, and start a hunting heritage for your kids.

I think that rifle selection is largely personal. Opinions on rifles are like belly buttons and buttholes. Nothing wrong with any rifle on your list. I would personally save a little more and go with a Tikka or Bergera if I could, or I'd try to find a used Savage 10/110/16/116, etc, BUT you know your preferences, budget, and timeline better than I do. Starting with something less expensive and later upgrading is not a bad thing, especially for an adult onset hunter. You can find your likes and dislikes which could influence your later decision on something a little bit nicer (if you desire to do so later), and if you don't like what you buy then you can always sell it and not take much of a hit.

All of that being said on cartridge… I won't dive into ballistics and specifics on terminal performance. I'll stick with the two that you listed, and EITHER ONE WILL WORK JUST FINE. I'm not a huge fan of the .243, but I won't deny that it is effective. Recoil is light, and it is sufficiently powerful for hunting so long as you use quality ammo AND are selective with your shots and stay off of the shoulder. But the .308 definitely has more horsepower for the angled and shoulder shots, and it will provide better frontal diameter and a greater chance of a more consistent blood trail. Ammo has also traditionally been far more available and affordable for 308, so that's another win. Also, recoil is not bad for 308 with 110-150gr bullets, but you have a lot of flexibility for more bullet mass with the heavies as well. If recoil is bothering you then find some lighter weight cheap ammo to practice with, then do your final sight in with a quality 130-168gr hunting cartridge for hunting.

MANY other cartridges will work, including 6.5 creedmoor, 7-08, 270 Win (my favorite), and so on, but that can easily lead us down rabbit trails.

Remington700

I agree with Larry on the Ruger out of the ones you listed. My suggestion would be a Remington 700 .243. You can find used ones all over and you'll be able to rat hole a few boxes of ammo fairly cheap. Both are great rounds but the type of hunting you referenced would lead me to steer you towards a .243.

Side note on the Ruger American, it's a lite, synthetic rifle so you're gonna have more felt recoil in .308 than you would in .243

Congrats on your hunting decision. You're never too old. It's such a satisfying sport regardless of the results. Hunt trees and take in the sunrise and you'll never be disappointed.
This is what I would recommend as well.

tellico4x4

Made the switch to single shots 18 years ago & no regrets at all. Actually like the challenge and have used them on deer, elk, antelope & black bear. Believe I've only had to use 2nd shot one time since making switch.

Have a safe full of bolt actions plus 3 Encores & 2 Handi- Rifles. My favorite deer caliber is a 7-08 with 120gr Barnes TTSX. 90% of the time I use one of Encores in that caliber.

Have hunting guns from .243 to .338 Win Mag. However, given the ammo situation the past few years if I'd stick with a 270, 308 or 30-06 due to availability.

Welcome to the hunting world!

Remi

I'm a 7mm08 and 260 fan but of the ones mentioned a Ruger in .308 is a great choice.

I try to buy my guns used because a lot of people get them, shoot them 10 times, and then sell them a couple years later. Shop some smaller stores around and you may find some good buys on older Remington 700's, Ruger 77's, etc.

SolaBeard

Made the switch to single shots 18 years ago & no regrets at all. Actually like the challenge and have used them on deer, elk, antelope & black bear. Believe I've only had to use 2nd shot one time since making switch.

Have a safe full of bolt actions plus 3 Encores & 2 Handi- Rifles. My favorite deer caliber is a 7-08 with 120gr Barnes TTSX. 90% of the time I use one of Encores in that caliber.

Have hunting guns from .243 to .338 Win Mag. However, given the ammo situation the past few years if I'd stick with a 270, 308 or 30-06 due to availability.

Welcome to the hunting world!
That's cool to hear! Would you recommend a single shot rifle for someone first starting out? Or are you glad you waited until you were more of a seasoned hunter?

SolaBeard

First of all, no need to be embarrassed. We all had to start somewhere, and some of us (like myself) who started young didn't necessarily start out "right." Lots of what I had learned early had to be unlearned, and I had to learn the "right way" on some things the hard way, which was in adulthood. Ask questions, and learn, and this is a good place to do that. Some answers about tactics will be area or situationally correct, but may or may not work for you in your area or situation. Whatever you do, put different tactics into practice, find out what works, always keep learning, and start a hunting heritage for your kids.

I think that rifle selection is largely personal. Opinions on rifles are like belly buttons and buttholes. Nothing wrong with any rifle on your list. I would personally save a little more and go with a Tikka or Bergera if I could, or I'd try to find a used Savage 10/110/16/116, etc, BUT you know your preferences, budget, and timeline better than I do. Starting with something less expensive and later upgrading is not a bad thing, especially for an adult onset hunter. You can find your likes and dislikes which could influence your later decision on something a little bit nicer (if you desire to do so later), and if you don't like what you buy then you can always sell it and not take much of a hit.

All of that being said on cartridge… I won't dive into ballistics and specifics on terminal performance. I'll stick with the two that you listed, and EITHER ONE WILL WORK JUST FINE. I'm not a huge fan of the .243, but I won't deny that it is effective. Recoil is light, and it is sufficiently powerful for hunting so long as you use quality ammo AND are selective with your shots and stay off of the shoulder. But the .308 definitely has more horsepower for the angled and shoulder shots, and it will provide better frontal diameter and a greater chance of a more consistent blood trail. Ammo has also traditionally been far more available and affordable for 308, so that's another win. Also, recoil is not bad for 308 with 110-150gr bullets, but you have a lot of flexibility for more bullet mass with the heavies as well. If recoil is bothering you then find some lighter weight cheap ammo to practice with, then do your final sight in with a quality 130-168gr hunting cartridge for hunting.

MANY other cartridges will work, including 6.5 creedmoor, 7-08, 270 Win (my favorite), and so on, but that can easily lead us down rabbit trails.
That's a lot of great things to consider. Thanks!

Tenntrapper

Lots of people suggesting the Ruger in 308. I'm going to be odd man here. Agree with the 308...lots of ammo available. For the rifle...savage axis II xp. I've had several axis rifles...and Ruger American. My experience is the savage will out shoot the American all day long. Personally, I can't stand the springy feeling in the axis bolt...but the Ruger will sound like a zipper every time you work the bolt. Both will get the job done. My suggestion would be get which ever feels the best....in 308.
Best of luck to you.

SolaBeard

Lots of people suggesting the Ruger in 308. I'm going to be odd man here. Agree with the 308...lots of ammo available. For the rifle...savage axis II xp. I've had several axis rifles...and Ruger American. My experience is the savage will out shoot the American all day long. Personally, I can't stand the springy feeling in the axis bolt...but the Ruger will sound like a zipper every time you work the bolt. Both will get the job done. My suggestion would be get which ever feels the best....in 308.
Best of luck to you.
Thanks for the input! Would you say the Bushnell scope on the Axis II XP is sufficient for starting out and upgrading to a better scope later on?

Remi

Best of luck to you.

The mushy bolt is why I'm not an axis fan, I have one and it shoots great but I hate the way the bolt feels.

As for the zipper sounding Ruger, give the bolt a shot of Rem oil, take some very fine grit sandpaper and polish the bolt body. I did that to mine to get rid of that sound.