More CWD Positives

Mike Belt

This is a question I've been asking after talking to region and getting this information. Is it possible to contract the disease eating meat that comes back after receiving a negative result if that deer could possibly have the disease in that "4 month" incubation period? It would seem that no deer....NOT ONE... could be safely eaten even if it doesn't test positive because there will be no more tests done on that particular animal and you'll never know if it was in the 4 month period.

th88

Mike Belt":32bqeovz said:
This is a question I've been asking after talking to region and getting this information. Is it possible to contract the disease eating meat that comes back after receiving a negative result if that deer could possibly have the disease in that "4 month" incubation period? It would seem that no deer....NOT ONE... could be safely eaten even if it doesn't test positive because there will be no more tests done on that particular animal and you'll never know if it was in the 4 month period.
There has never been a case of a human contracting the disease.

TheLBLman

th88":3i7bbjvh said:
This remains noteworthy.

Still seems riskier to eat any fast food than even a deer known to have CWD?
I mean, people do die periodically, regularly, from bad lettuce, bad burger, etc.,
sometimes even from "nice" restaurants, or when purchased from Kroger's?

GRIT

There has never been a case of a human contracting the disease.[/quote]

Someone has got to be the first in contracting the disease.That's the way it's always been.It's got to happen to someone before they can say you can get it.

TheLBLman

GRIT":1gpopu1x said:
Someone has got to be the first in contracting the disease.That's the way it's always been.It's got to happen to someone before they can say you can get it.
True as that statement may be, still needs to be put into context and the "odds".

You would be more likely to die from a lightning strike on a sunny day,
so knowing that, will you never leave the house?

There is a calculated risk in everything we do, even everything we don't do.
Every year, I hear about people slipping and falling, sometimes dying from taking a bath.

But we cannot live without eating.
Just a matter of what we choose to eat.

I'm not going to stop eating venison.
Nor will I stop fishing since fishing is more dangerous than hunting.

scn

GRIT":33zpgvql said:

Someone has got to be the first in contracting the disease.That's the way it's always been.It's got to happen to someone before they can say you can get it.[/quote]

After fifty years of CWD being identified and millions of deer consumed, you would think that if someone was going to be the first, it would have already happened......

GRIT

scn":fk0wlgnc said:
GRIT":fk0wlgnc said:

After fifty years of CWD being identified and millions of deer consumed, you would think that if someone was going to be the first, it would have already happened......[/quote]

Just saying,Their is a chance this could be transmitted to humans.Plus they say it could take up to ten years before knowing you have it.
So there is that possibility.
I hope there is never a case of anyone getting CWD.

megalomaniac

I would suspect 'prion load' would be the major factor in contracting the disease....

For example, eat a deer which has just contracted the disease (and tests negative) but prion load is low to negligible in the muscles and you would be fine.

Eat the brain from a CWD deer and I bet you would be the first documented case of cwd transmitted to humans.

Again, this is just speculation.... there are a LOT of unknowns when it comes to all the prion diseases.

Expect a LOT more positives to come from the hot zone. ... I just hope we haven't seeded the rest of the state prior to this year's detection

Sent from my SCH-R970X using Tapatalk

megalomaniac

Andy S.":35kxpvdy said:
Not the verbiage, "not detected", in the current results. We're up to 30 positives through end of December, with a lot more tests pending.

https://www.tn.gov/content/dam/tn/twra/ ... esults.pdf

Hmmm....

In the link provided, there are no positives prior to Nov 10th.... despite a bazillion negative results.

Maybe just because very few deer in the hot zone were killed and tested prior to that date due to a later rut in that locale, but if there are a disproportionate number of negatives from the hot zone, I'd have to strongly suspect sampling error.

WTM

megalomaniac":2ygdv87k said:
I would suspect 'prion load' would be the major factor in contracting the disease....

For example, eat a deer which has just contracted the disease (and tests negative) but prion load is low to negligible in the muscles and you would be fine.

Eat the brain from a CWD deer and I bet you would be the first documented case of cwd transmitted to humans.

Again, this is just speculation.... there are a LOT of unknowns when it comes to all the prion diseases.

Expect a LOT more positives to come from the hot zone. ... I just hope we haven't seeded the rest of the state prior to this year's detection

maybe, but like ive said before, its been proven with other prion type diseases that there is a genetic disposition that makes a person more susceptible to contracting it. to date all of the people who died from "mad cow" in the UK had this genetic makeup. there are two other ways of contracting bad prions that being surgical procedures or growth hormones and a genetic flaw that causes a prion to misfold and thus causing "seeding".

Andy S.

megalomaniac":mjhhdm3e said:
Andy S.":mjhhdm3e said:
Not the verbiage, "not detected", in the current results. We're up to 30 positives through end of December, with a lot more tests pending.

https://www.tn.gov/content/dam/tn/twra/ ... esults.pdf

Hmmm....

In the link provided, there are no positives prior to Nov 10th.... despite a bazillion negative results.

Maybe just because very few deer in the hot zone were killed and tested prior to that date due to a later rut in that locale, but if there are a disproportionate number of negatives from the hot zone, I'd have to strongly suspect sampling error.
Those are statewide results, a column titled "county" would be nice for reference. I suspect a lot of those negatives could be from outside of the current hot zone.

fairchaser

I expect that once you get enough dots on a map of positive cases vs total tested with deer densities and ages, some smart statistician would be able to find the point of origin. Not that it matters much at this point, but we might all learn something about how this disease travels and spreads.

TheLBLman

fairchaser":19vglrck said:
I expect that once you get enough dots on a map of positive cases vs total tested with deer densities and ages, some smart statistician would be able to find the point of origin.
Or, we may find there have been multiple points of origin,
or that occurrences in some counties are not related to occurances in other TN counties.
This would be the likely case when CWD shows up in more TN counties, let's just say for example Stewart Co., yet there are several counties with no known cases in between these "hot" counties.

IMO, there are just SO MANY possibilities of how any location could become a new point of origin,
and much of these possibilities may be "outside the box" of what we can do to prevent the spread.
For example, migrating vultures & eagles eating infected deer, then dropping those prions in another state the next week.

Think about this.
Deer infected with CWD have 12 months every year to die from it.
Hunters only kill "some" of the deer during a period of less than 1/3 this annual timeframe.
Most of the CWD-infected deer are not going to be killed by hunters,
but are instead just going to die from CWD (unseen by us),
then consumed by scavengers, which then spread the prions.

fairchaser

TheLBLman":1l55wkr2 said:
fairchaser":1l55wkr2 said:
I expect that once you get enough dots on a map of positive cases vs total tested with deer densities and ages, some smart statistician would be able to find the point of origin.
Or, we may find there have been multiple points of origin,
or that occurrences in some counties are not related to occurances in other TN counties.
This would be the likely case when CWD shows up in more TN counties, let's just say for example Stewart Co., yet there are several counties with no known cases in between these "hot" counties.

IMO, there are just SO MANY possibilities of how any location could become a new point of origin,
and much of these possibilities may be "outside the box" of what we can do to prevent the spread.
For example, migrating vultures & eagles eating infected deer, then dropping those prions in another state the next week.

Think about this.
Deer infected with CWD have 12 months every year to die from it.
Hunters only kill "some" of the deer during a period of less than 1/3 this annual timeframe.
Most of the CWD-infected deer are not going to be killed by hunters,
but are instead just going to die from CWD (unseen by us),
then consumed by scavengers, which then spread the prions.

I agree LBLman that the possibilities are endless, but Dr, Grove stated the primary mode of transmission was saliva from deer to deer. The single point of origin, could come from anywhere but I'd be willing to bet it came from another deer from another hot zone at 70 mph either dead or alive. I don't think it flew in here or traveled by foot. Somebody might be shaking in their boots right now knowing they could have started this epidemic.

AT Hiker

scn":3qr1ucm0 said:
After fifty years of CWD being identified and millions of deer consumed, you would think that if someone was going to be the first, it would have already happened......

It was once thought that Mad Cow didn't jump species barriers to humans, then along came vCJD. Which the direct link to this diseases is that those infected lived in a region with BSE and all expressed the disease approximately 10 years later.

On a better note, Scrapie (prion in sheep) has been around since the 1700's. Not one single case of humans contracting it has been discovered, albeit a lab test in mice say it is indeed possible. I addition, it's extremely likely mad cow came from Scrapie.

So how do I interpret this? Assuming CWD cannot jump the human species barrier (like scrapie) and using it the above information as my logic I hope CWD doesn't jump to another animal (say wild hogs or domestic livestock) then act as a secondary host for us to contract it, like Mad Cow disease.

Cliff Notes; Scrapie=Mad Cow=vCJD
Let's hope CWD doesn't make its way into the above equation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Os2 Outdoors

AT Hiker":suajsyhk said:
scn":suajsyhk said:

It was once thought that Mad Cow didn't jump species barriers to humans, then along came vCJD. Which the direct link to this diseases is that those infected lived in a region with BSE and all expressed the disease approximately 10 years later.

On a better note, Scrapie (prion in sheep) has been around since the 1700's. Not one single case of humans contracting it has been discovered, albeit a lab test in mice say it is indeed possible. I addition, it's extremely likely mad cow came from Scrapie.

So how do I interpret this? Assuming CWD cannot jump the human species barrier (like scrapie) and using it the above information as my logic I hope CWD doesn't jump to another animal (say wild hogs or domestic livestock) then act as a secondary host for us to contract it, like Mad Cow disease.

Cliff Notes; Scrapie=Mad Cow=vCJD
Let's hope CWD doesn't make its way into the above equation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You still eating deer?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk