More CWD Positives

Andy S.

ZIYBQ3N.jpg

https://www.tn.gov/twra/news/2019/1/7/- ... ties-.html

BULL MOOSE

Good grief! Evidently this disease has been here awhile and somebody dropped the ball on the field sample testing. It would not surprise me if they already knew it was there before this year.

When all is said and done, I expect it to have originated at that high fenced farm.

Perhaps they should have extended the longer season and testing to the other border counties too.

DaveB

Is there a site that lists the exact location of each deer identified with CWD?

JJ3, where you get that map? thanks

BULL MOOSE

DaveB":2nwvhns5 said:
Is there a site that lists the exact location of each deer identified with CWD?

JJ3, where you get that map? thanks
That map is on the CWD page on TWRA site. It is much Improved over the previous one, but not as good as the cougar map.

fairchaser

Based on the total number of samples taken versus the positive CWD deer, the prevalence rate is 5-6%. This is not devastating for the deer herd yet but we need to see how the most recent samples come out. Obviously, the disease has been here for several years and was missed. Makes one wonder if it has spread to other counties just undiscovered.

Omega

So what is in the middle of that hot zone? Is there a possibility that deer where imported from an out of state facility?

megalomaniac

Omega":2ei48dgh said:
So what is in the middle of that hot zone? Is there a possibility that deer where imported from an out of state facility?

Somebody brought something in from somewhere for sure. Not necessarily the high fence operations close by, but I'd be looking closely at them.

Fairchaser is right, 5-6% isn't that bad... you can still manage a deer herd with prevalence that low. After the population reduction, hunting will be a bit tougher, however.

I think TWRA will have an adequate sample size for >95% confidence in prevalence rates after the extended season and not need to kill any additional animals by sharpshooters, so that is a positive.

MUP

If they're not testing surrounding counties, I don't understand how they can say it's just "centralized" in these 3 counties, IF that's all they've tested so far. And if so, I would think that testing would need to be broadened to include the western 1/3 of the state at least. JMO

megalomaniac

MUP":2kamfsu4 said:
If they're not testing surrounding counties, I don't understand how they can say it's just "centralized" in these 3 counties, IF that's all they've tested so far. And if so, I would think that testing would need to be broadened to include the western 1/3 of the state at least. JMO

they are testing the surrounding counties, just not to the extent as the local 3 county hot zone.

Remember, it's around $25 a pop for the test. This could quickly eat up TWRA's budget if all deer are tested. I would like to see at least 25 voluntary testing sites throughout the state set up where hunters could bring heads or cervical lymph nodes to a freezer to have their deer tested for a fee to offset the cost.

Here in MS, I have a local testing site about 2 miles from my hunting camp. Simply bring the head to the local rural fire dept, bag it, then drop it in the chest freezer. Of course, the highfence landowner who illegally imported deer from an out of state CWD positive facility who then had the fence damaged by the tornado a couple years ago is footing the bill as ordered by the court.

DaveB

The map is not sharp enough for my old eyes.

Looks like the three parcels of state land just west of the Hays Road property is the westernmost expansion.

That won't last. If you wanted the perfect corridor for East-West expansion its the Wolf River.

Boll Weevil

As a landowner with a confirmed case, my recommendation is to consider operating as if the disease is already present on your property. Everyone of us has a role in managing spread as best we can and the CONTINUED DISCOVERY OF NEW CASES means any property could be next.

Manage like it's already present...don't wait on a confirmation.

Andy S.

megalomaniac":32buskf9 said:
Of course, the highfence landowner who illegally imported deer from an out of state CWD positive facility who then had the fence damaged by the tornado a couple years ago is footing the bill as ordered by the court.
That is music to my ears!! Thanks for sharing.

Andy S.

Boll Weevil":kjx6f4nj said:
As a landowner with a confirmed case, my recommendation is to consider operating as if the disease is already present on your property. Everyone of us has a role in managing spread as best we can and the CONTINUED DISCOVERY OF NEW CASES means any property could be next.

Manage like it's already present...don't wait on a confirmation.
Sage advice right here!

diggerak

Aw heck I'll be the first to hang. If cwd is an act of God what are we gonna do the deer are doomed.cant beat God.if it's a beuacrat bunch of garbage they will want money. Till the pockets are filled they will tell us what we are supposed to do. I believe the later

Sent from my KYOCERA-E6560 using Tapatalk