More CWD Positives

fairchaser

The question was asked last night if we knew where it came from and that was answered by Dr Grove that we didn't know and likely never know. Also, it was stated that while the captive facilities have submitted samples, there has yet to be a case of CWD found inside a captive deer facility.

ronnycl

MickThompson":ifer287w said:
In the grand scheme of things, however, it doesn't matter how it got here, just that we do what we can to keep it out of the other 93 counties in the state.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My bet you already have it. They found it in the three counties listed due to higher than normal random testings. This was due to the proximity of outbreak in Marshall County,MS. I believe it has been here for at least 3 years due to the reduced numbers in the deer herd in the areas affected. I have been barking to twra for 3 years about the reduced number of doe family groups.(from 8 to 4 example) Last night they stated it did effect fawn recruitment rates. This explains the reduced number of deer in the affected areas. I think twra is overwhelmed with the outbreak and training the personnel to get caught up, setup, etc. I believe more testing will be done next season and I am afraid you will likely see the outbreak will cover a much larger area than currently shown.

Boll Weevil

ronnycl":22rxo07k said:
I believe it has been here for at least 3 years due to the reduced numbers in the deer herd in the areas affected.
I tend to agree it has been present in our area for some time. While it's difficult to ascertain exactly how long, your statement regarding doe groups and fawn recruitment is spot on.

Andy S.

Boll Weevil":2qjw00pk said:
ronnycl":2qjw00pk said:
I believe it has been here for at least 3 years due to the reduced numbers in the deer herd in the areas affected.
I tend to agree it has been present in our area for some time. While it's difficult to ascertain exactly how long, your statement regarding doe groups and fawn recruitment is spot on.
Agree 110%, especially the statement about doe groups and dismal fawn recruitment.

Mike Belt

I guess maybe a few of us were right. Myself and several others I hunt with have been stating for the last 3-4 years about the lack of deer sightings and sign. We always met with the statements that "you can't rely on hunter observations" or "does get used to hunting pressure and get better at hiding". I truly wish we had been wrong but it's not looking like we were right although we never credited it to CWD.

poorhunter

2-Step Enabled
I'm truly worried where else it is and we don't know it...lots of guys reporting for a few years now that their deer numbers are way down. May be unrelated but maybe not.

sallee-bo

Boll Weevil":2s7qpwq8 said:
As a landowner with a confirmed case, my recommendation is to consider operating as if the disease is already present on your property. Everyone of us has a role in managing spread as best we can and the CONTINUED DISCOVERY OF NEW CASES means any property could be next.

Manage like it's already present...don't wait on a confirmation.
How do you go about managing it ? Serious question, not trying to be a smart-alec.

MickThompson

How do you manage CWD?

Take care of carcasses and ensure they are disposed of in a way that doesn't spread prions.

Participate in testing so TWRA can find out about infections as soon as possible.

Keep an eye out for and report sick/odd behaving animals.

sallee-bo

MickThompson":2l1mcctv said:
How do you manage CWD?

Take care of carcasses and ensure they are disposed of in a way that doesn't spread prions.

Participate in testing so TWRA can find out about infections as soon as possible.

Keep an eye out for and report sick/odd behaving animals.

:tu: Thanks.

MickThompson

And if you know about some jackleg that doesn't follow the regs, turn him in. This will absolutely change the way we hunt if it gets to the rest of us.

WestTn Huntin man

2-Step Enabled
There was never any doubt that there would be positive tests in Tn. It was just a question of when ??. Tn. is surrounded by States that have deer that test positive. High Fence, Low Fence, no fence it was just a matter of time.

muddyboots

Mike Belt":151ldn2d said:
I guess maybe a few of us were right. Myself and several others I hunt with have been stating for the last 3-4 years about the lack of deer sightings and sign. We always met with the statements that "you can't rely on hunter observations" or "does get used to hunting pressure and get better at hiding". I truly wish we had been wrong but it's not looking like we were although we never credited it to CWD.
m

Amen brother.

Andy S.

MickThompson":2rvbm1ot said:
And if you know about some jackleg that doesn't follow the regs, turn him in. This will absolutely change the way we hunt if it gets to the rest of us.
My favorite word to use if in mixed company where I have to remain PC. :)

MickThompson

Andy S.":3tfu8mri said:
MickThompson":3tfu8mri said:
My favorite word to use if in mixed company where I have to remain PC. :)

I guess I could have put my own asterisks in there or maybe a mod would let it slide in this context?

BULL MOOSE

Andy S.":pwojj4xw said:
BigAl":pwojj4xw said:
Not sure if they are referring to the Goodman Ranch, which is on the other side of Chickasaw. But it for sure imports Cervids.
Goodman Ranch is in Chester County, correct?

Yes, import stuff bur unsure about Whitetails. Either way, game ranches are just stupid..

BULL MOOSE

fairchaser":f6flg4tn said:
The question was asked last night if we knew where it came from and that was answered by Dr Grove that we didn't know and likely never know. Also, it was stated that while the captive facilities have submitted samples, there has yet to be a case of CWD found inside a captive deer facility.
Explain the sample.

fairchaser

BULL MOOSE":1gnex0yh said:
fairchaser":1gnex0yh said:
Explain the sample.

I assume samples of harvested or dead deer. If you need more context, you can listen to the podcast during the Q&A.

Latest posts