More CWD Positives

AT Hiker

Os2 Outdoors":17ypx4r2 said:
You still eating deer?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

About 6 days a week. I fill the 7th day in with antelope, only because I have a very limited supply of it[emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Levee Jumper

Unless something changes, I figure I'll take my chances eating "Untested Deer" like I always have. Killing a deer with CWD, eating it and dying are by far the lowest odds of nearly anything I've ever done in my entire life. I could be proved wrong but that is my opinion as of now. To each their own.

However, the caveat to that is if I had a deer tested I couldn't consciously eat or feed to others a deer that had tested positive. There is just something about that I can't quite get my mind around. Kinda like eating a fast food burger that you know has a hair in it.... Wont kill you but it would lower your appetite to the point that you would pass.

I am curious if those that will refuse to eat deer now in any circumstance are likely to speed on backroads to they're lease, ride a 4 wheeler part of the way to their stand or sit 20 ft up in a lock-on with old ratchet straps and no safety harness. Just saying, everybody has got to die from something. :tu:

U.S. vehicle deaths topped 40,000 in 2017

13,617 ATV-related fatalities occurring between 1982 and 2014

5 fatal accidents involved no full body harness in 2017

AT Hiker

Levee Jumper pretty much mirrors my thoughts.

I look at it this way, I eat Sheep/Lamb/Mutton that are not tested. Granted Scrapie has yet to prove it can jump to humans. Would I eat one that tested positive or came from a flock that did? No, I'd pass.

Beef; I eat untested beef as do most people. For the most part we are good to go here in the US, we have a process in place that will hopefully keep us safe. Would I eat beef in a country that has a history of Mad Cow? Probably not.

Venison; I'm not going to knowingly eat CWD infected meat. I will continue to eat untested meat unless I hunt in a area with a high prevalence rate. I've hunted in CWD states (technically we all have now) but let's say I ever draw a tag in a "hot zone". I will have it tested and go off the assumption the test is accurate and not eat infected meat. I probably would not eat a very young deer in a hot zone either.

I think if you research the topic and evaluate the risk you can make a decision that best suits your situation. It's like going to visit Yellowstone. Scientists says the super volcano is over due for a massive eruption, what's the odds it's going to blow while your there? Better odds of being mauled by a grizzly while visiting and exponentially greater odds dying while traveling to the Park.

poorhunter

2-Step Enabled
One of the questions I have is why can't the meat be tested? Because the prions aren't in the meat? Because they are only in the meat in too small a number to test? If the prions aren't in the meat then there shouldn't be any problem eating it...right?

Omega

Probably because there is not a sufficient number of them in the meat, and a more precise test is from the lymphatic system where they concentrate. The brain will show the affects of CWD as well as contains prions, but if they are using the lymph nodes then it is probably because that is where they are more concentrated. That is why I don't worry too much about eating venison, as long as you do not contaminate the meat from the spinal. brain, or lymph nodes, then prions will be much less concentrated so less likely to cross-over (if it is indeed possible).

AT Hiker

The testing is from a animal health standpoint, not a food safety one. I'm sure sooner than later a "meat" test will become available.

Big Gun

I had deer burgers Tuesday from the Fayette Co. doe I shot opening morning of rifle. That was before the testing of every deer from the "hot zone" started. I got the negative test results back from my second doe so we'll enjoy her too. I have 2 more being tested and if either of them test positive I'll most likely through those out but until then I'm going to keep eating it. The way I figure it, as many positives that have came back, it's probably been here for at least a couple of years and I've been putting 3-4 deer a year in the freezer from the hot zone so I've may have already been eating deer that would test positive. Heck, 95% of the deer I've killed in the last 20 years came from Fayette or Hardeman Co.

JJ3

fairchaser":1coye4xv said:
but Dr, Grove stated the primary mode of transmission was saliva from deer to deer. The single point of origin, could come from anywhere but I'd be willing to bet it came from another deer from another hot zone at 70 mph either dead or alive. I don't think it flew in here or traveled by foot. Somebody might be shaking in their boots right now knowing they could have started this epidemic.

Agree. Once the season is done and all tests are in and we can overlay with Mississippi results for Marshall and Benton Counties, I think the center point will be evident. One deer infects 20, 20 deer infect 400, etc. and from each batch you've got deer that extend the range 2 - 3 miles from the center.

The 10 mile radius keeps extending further north.

Ahuntin1

AT Hiker":2ai6rwtz said:
Levee Jumper pretty much mirrors my thoughts.

I look at it this way, I eat Sheep/Lamb/Mutton that are not tested. Granted Scrapie has yet to prove it can jump to humans. Would I eat one that tested positive or came from a flock that did? No, I'd pass.

Beef; I eat untested beef as do most people. For the most part we are good to go here in the US, we have a process in place that will hopefully keep us safe. Would I eat beef in a country that has a history of Mad Cow? Probably not.

Venison; I'm not going to knowingly eat CWD infected meat. I will continue to eat untested meat unless I hunt in a area with a high prevalence rate. I've hunted in CWD states (technically we all have now) but let's say I ever draw a tag in a "hot zone". I will have it tested and go off the assumption the test is accurate and not eat infected meat. I probably would not eat a very young deer in a hot zone either.

I think if you research the topic and evaluate the risk you can make a decision that best suits your situation. It's like going to visit Yellowstone. Scientists says the super volcano is over due for a massive eruption, what's the odds it's going to blow while your there? Better odds of being mauled by a grizzly while visiting and exponentially greater odds dying while traveling to the Park.

The risk ratio mindset makes sense except for the fact that there's a limited amount of information for me to eat an untested deer. I'm betting y'all don't hunt in Fayette County. If it's as prevalent as everybody says, I've already eaten some cwd positive deer. I'm sure one thousand other folks have too. That doesn't mean that we should keep eating untested deer or deer that test positive. It might take 50 years and be a 1/10,000 chance after that, but I'm not eating any more untested deer and the two from this season in the freezer will hit the trash. I went over 10 years hunting without a harness from climbing stands and I still don't wear my seatbelt as much as I should. The difference is that those risk end the moment it ended. There's not enough information about cwd for me to eat some meat that has a 1 in 100 million chance in making me go out that way. I haven't bought ground beef in at least 15 years and I'm patiently waiting for some test results results.

ronnycl

It is growing lastest numbers from todays meeting

Attachments

• 8F72662E-D9FA-46EF-B762-043F27B9AA24.jpeg
    8F72662E-D9FA-46EF-B762-043F27B9AA24.jpeg
    60.5 KB · Views: 1,282
  • 634F555E-92B3-4A72-A8FE-9C505FDFF2A6.jpeg
    634F555E-92B3-4A72-A8FE-9C505FDFF2A6.jpeg
    76.4 KB · Views: 1,282

MUP

So, is funding for the tests the only reason that the season wasn't extended statewide to check for the spread rate? Seems it's rapidly spreading, or being found I should say, and to me common sense would dictate testing at least a few counties out around the initial thought to be ground zero.

poorhunter

2-Step Enabled
From the number of positives in TN, I'm going to assume that conventional wisdom is CWD went from TN to MS? Even though it was found in MS first? Why are there exploding numbers in those two counties, and how does that compare to other hot zones across the country when they were first discovered? Zero to 30+ in the blink of an eye? That's way too fast for comfort.

fairchaser

poorhunter":1s4o9xht said:
From the number of positives in TN, I'm going to assume that conventional wisdom is CWD went from TN to MS? Even though it was found in MS first? Why are there exploding numbers in those two counties, and how does that compare to other hot zones across the country when they were first discovered? Zero to 30+ in the blink of an eye? That's way too fast for comfort.

The conventional wisdom is that we have had it now for 3-5 years. The sampling done before failed to catch it but sampling was ramped up after Marshall County, MS discovered it. They said that the sampling they did this year would have discovered it at a 1% prevalence rate. Since we are 10 times that, they were bound to find it. I'm not aware of how extensive the sampling is in MS, so they could have it at a higher rate than it appears.

megalomaniac

MUP":2ujzses6 said:
So, is funding for the tests the only reason that the season wasn't extended statewide to check for the spread rate? Seems it's rapidly spreading, or being found I should say, and to me common sense would dictate testing at least a few counties out around the initial thought to be ground zero.

the disease is not rapidly spreading, it just looks that way due to the fact it was missed for the last several years, and once discovered, a tremendous increase in sampling in the hot zone results in an explosion of positives. 10% prevalence rate in Fayette and Hardeman... that's a LOT.

the current sampling methods for the rest of the state this year were well thought-out. There may be isolated cases here and there across the state, but I strongly doubt there is a large infected herd elsewhere that missed detection.

And yes, you can bet the hot zone started in TN with that many positives, then spread to MS (although MS detected it before TN). Something happened at the southern county line between Fayette and Hardeman, then spread out from there. Whether it was a high fence that imported an infected deer, or someone illegally brought an intact killed infected cervid from another state will probably never be known, but I feel certain it was one of the two.