More CWD Positives

Omega

I wonder if they will extend the season for Shelby now? I bet they will find some there by the looks of that map, and possibly in Chester, Madison and Haywood as well.

ronnycl

Omega":2jjcphnh said:
I wonder if they will extend the season for Shelby now? I bet they will find some there by the looks of that map, and possibly in Chester, Madison and Haywood as well.

This was brought up yesterday and supposedly a decision will be made today. By the reaction from the chairman it appeared as if they want shelby open and extended.

Twra meeting at ducks unlimited for the video link and cwd map photos

duckduck84

Ahuntin1":ersg57oa said:
AT Hiker":ersg57oa said:
Levee Jumper pretty much mirrors my thoughts.

I look at it this way, I eat Sheep/Lamb/Mutton that are not tested. Granted Scrapie has yet to prove it can jump to humans. Would I eat one that tested positive or came from a flock that did? No, I'd pass.

Beef; I eat untested beef as do most people. For the most part we are good to go here in the US, we have a process in place that will hopefully keep us safe. Would I eat beef in a country that has a history of Mad Cow? Probably not.

Venison; I'm not going to knowingly eat CWD infected meat. I will continue to eat untested meat unless I hunt in a area with a high prevalence rate. I've hunted in CWD states (technically we all have now) but let's say I ever draw a tag in a "hot zone". I will have it tested and go off the assumption the test is accurate and not eat infected meat. I probably would not eat a very young deer in a hot zone either.

I think if you research the topic and evaluate the risk you can make a decision that best suits your situation. It's like going to visit Yellowstone. Scientists says the super volcano is over due for a massive eruption, what's the odds it's going to blow while your there? Better odds of being mauled by a grizzly while visiting and exponentially greater odds dying while traveling to the Park.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The risk ratio mindset makes sense except for the fact that there's a limited amount of information for me to eat an untested deer. I'm betting y'all don't hunt in Fayette County. If it's as prevalent as everybody says, I've already eaten some cwd positive deer. I'm sure one thousand other folks have too. That doesn't mean that we should keep eating untested deer or deer that test positive. It might take 50 years and be a 1/10,000 chance after that, but I'm not eating any more untested deer and the two from this season in the freezer will hit the trash. I went over 10 years hunting without a harness from climbing stands and I still don't wear my seatbelt as much as I should. The difference is that those risk end the moment it ended. There's not enough information about cwd for me to eat some meat that has a 1 in 100 million chance in making me go out that way. I haven't bought ground beef in at least 15 years and I'm patiently waiting for some test results results.

That is ridiculous. Donate the meat, don't throw it away because you're frightened of what you don't understand.

Ahuntin1

duckduck84":26tzscpf said:
Ahuntin1":26tzscpf said:
AT Hiker":26tzscpf said:
Levee Jumper pretty much mirrors my thoughts.

I look at it this way, I eat Sheep/Lamb/Mutton that are not tested. Granted Scrapie has yet to prove it can jump to humans. Would I eat one that tested positive or came from a flock that did? No, I'd pass.

Beef; I eat untested beef as do most people. For the most part we are good to go here in the US, we have a process in place that will hopefully keep us safe. Would I eat beef in a country that has a history of Mad Cow? Probably not.

Venison; I'm not going to knowingly eat CWD infected meat. I will continue to eat untested meat unless I hunt in a area with a high prevalence rate. I've hunted in CWD states (technically we all have now) but let's say I ever draw a tag in a "hot zone". I will have it tested and go off the assumption the test is accurate and not eat infected meat. I probably would not eat a very young deer in a hot zone either.

I think if you research the topic and evaluate the risk you can make a decision that best suits your situation. It's like going to visit Yellowstone. Scientists says the super volcano is over due for a massive eruption, what's the odds it's going to blow while your there? Better odds of being mauled by a grizzly while visiting and exponentially greater odds dying while traveling to the Park.

The risk ratio mindset makes sense except for the fact that there's a limited amount of information for me to eat an untested deer. I'm betting y'all don't hunt in Fayette County. If it's as prevalent as everybody says, I've already eaten some cwd positive deer. I'm sure one thousand other folks have too. That doesn't mean that we should keep eating untested deer or deer that test positive. It might take 50 years and be a 1/10,000 chance after that, but I'm not eating any more untested deer and the two from this season in the freezer will hit the trash. I went over 10 years hunting without a harness from climbing stands and I still don't wear my seatbelt as much as I should. The difference is that those risk end the moment it ended. There's not enough information about cwd for me to eat some meat that has a 1 in 100 million chance in making me go out that way. I haven't bought ground beef in at least 15 years and I'm patiently waiting for some test results results.

That is ridiculous. Donate the meat, don't throw it away because you're frightened of what you don't understand.

Who will take it? PM me your phone number and you are more than welcome to come get it.

duckduck84

Ahuntin1":zvqaag8y said:
Who will take it? PM me your phone number and you are more than welcome to come get it.

If I didn't already have 3 deer from Hardeman (one untested) taking up all my freezer space I would, gladly. Hunters for the Hungry may take it and I'm sure there are plenty of members here that might. I'll text some of my friends to see if they want it even. Look, I'm not trying to be a jerk, and we all have to make our own decisions, but I think throwing away deer meat simply because CWD has been found in the counties we hunt is wasteful. There is ZERO proof that it transmits to humans in over 50 years of experience with this disease. Even mad cow is blown out of proportion. It's your life and your kills to do with what you'd like, but in my opinion it is letting fear get the best of you for no logical reason.

duckduck84

AT Hiker":1qyub61i said:
duckduck84":1qyub61i said:
Donate the meat, don't throw it away because you're frightened of what you don't understand.

You do realize the science world doesn't have a full grasp on CWD, right?

The science world doesn't have a full grasp on a lot of things. However, what science has shown is that there is ZERO evidence it transmits to humans. There is ZERO proof that any human being has ever contracted a TSE from CWD. Even BSE was extremely rare and limited. CJD and vCJD are still extremely rare. If the meat tests positive and someone's life choice is "I won't knowingly eat infected meat" then I can see that choice. To throw away deer just because this suddenly became a conversation just seems wasteful to me.

I killed 4 deer in Hardeman so far this year. 2 came back negative, 1 is pending, and 1 didn't get tested. I am still going to eat that untested deer and the people I donated the negative one to didn't care about the test one way or the other. If I end up with a TSE against all enormous odds and no proof in 50+ years that it happens then I leave that in God's hands. Something, somewhere is going to kill every single one of us someday and I would be willing to bet that it ain't gonna be CWD.

Also, didn't you pretty much express the same reasoning a few posts back?

AT Hiker

Maybe I misunderstood but I thought the poster said he had untested deer in the freezer from the hot zone. Since it's impossible for him to have it tested I see no issue with him getting rid of the meat.

Carefully read this quote from a research study.
"Conversion of human prion protein by CWD-associated prions has been demonstrated in an in vitro cell-free experiment, but limited investigations have not identified strong evidence for CWD transmission to humans. More epidemiologic and laboratory studies are needed to monitor the possibility of such transmissions."

Interpret that all you want, just know that plenty of brilliant minds are virtually indecisive on the current issue. But please don't give your opinion on such a critical topic and try to pass it over as gospel. You said there is Zero proof yet science says the the probability is low and " no human cases of prion disease with strong evidence of a link with CWD have been identified"

If you choose to ignore the science behind it that's your prerogative but at least give others the chance to research it on their own.

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/10/6/03-1082_article

AT Hiker

duckduck84":2ehvcmtf said:
Also, didn't you pretty much express the same reasoning a few posts back?

No, my sentiments are I will eat untested venison in areas not known to be "hot zones". I also made that decision based on countless hours of personal research.

What if my area becomes a hot zone? Then I will test my venison from then on and hope the risk I took prior doesn't manifest itself into a world of regret for me or my family.

But yes, the odds are incredibly low as we know it.

Ahuntin1

AT Hiker":3lx2f8hn said:
Maybe I misunderstood but I thought the poster said he had untested deer in the freezer from the hot zone. Since it's impossible for him to have it tested I see no issue with him getting rid of the meat.

"Conversion of human prion protein by CWD-associated prions has been demonstrated in an in vitro cell-free experiment, but limited investigations have not identified strong evidence for CWD transmission to humans. More epidemiologic and laboratory studies are needed to monitor the possibility of such transmissions."

Interpret that all you want, just know that plenty of brilliant minds are virtually indecisive on the current issue. But please don't give your opinion on such a critical topic and try to pass it over as gospel. You said there is Zero proof yet science says the the probability is low and " no human cases of prion disease with strong evidence of a link with CWD have been identified"

If you choose to ignore the science behind it that's your prerogative but at least give others the chance to research it on their own.

AT, you are correct and I agree with your thought process 100%. I have two deer in the freezer from the hot zone that were processed prior to the news that CWD was present. The fact that the processor is more than likely at least mixing meat with other deer makes me resonsible to communicate all of the known issues with whoever I would give the meat. I think that the charity organizations would be negligent if they were to use the meat.

As far as giving away that meat, I am more than happy to give it to anyone who wants it. I am also willing to kill anybody as many deer as they want. I will get the heads tested. I would like to have a total of 10 more deer tested on the farms that I have.

duckduck84

AT Hiker":hr16mjxo said:

I'm not sure if you are being intentionally argumentative for the sake of it or if you just don't see the issue in what you said. I'm not passing anything off as gospel and I'm not claiming to be a great scientific mind. My statement is still factually correct however, there is ZERO PROOF that it is transmissible to humans. You can spin that all you want, but it doesn't change the scientific theory. "May be" and "IS" are not the same. I do not deal in the hypothetical and I am not so terrified of the world at large that the slightest possibility of something occurring is going to deter me from enjoying a hobby and passion. You feel differently and that's fine, but I am entitled to share my opinion and facts are facts, regardless of how you want to try and personally spin it to make yourself seem like some sort of TSE/CWD aficionado.

AT Hiker

I'm not an aficionado by any means but I'm really good at copy and paste[emoji14]

If I came across argumentative, my apologies. I was trying to type, read, find articles and reply on on my phone while climbing a treadmill. I am however trying to ensue a debate of sorts. As our former big game coordinator recently told me. Paraphrased a bit..."These topics are extremely important to the control and understanding of this disease"

I guess we disagree then. I personally see a difference in "zero proof" and "limited investigations have not identified strong evidence for CWD transmission".

duckduck84

AT Hiker":c829kp15 said:
I'm not an aficionado by any means but I'm really good at copy and paste[emoji14]

If I came across argumentative, my apologies. I was trying to type, read, find articles and reply on on my phone while climbing a treadmill. I am however trying to ensue a debate of sorts. As our former big game coordinator recently told me. Paraphrased a bit..."These topics are extremely important to the control and understanding of this disease"

I guess we disagree then. I personally see a difference in "zero proof" and "limited investigations have not identified strong evidence for CWD transmission".

Here's how I view it:

Proof (as defined by dictionary.com)- evidence sufficient to establish a thing as true, or to produce belief in its truth.

"Limited investigations have not identified strong evidence for CWD transmission", therefore there is no proof that it is a danger to humans. It boils down simply to a fact of what we can prove, what we know currently, and what we feel. At this point the idea that CWD can transmit to humans is a hypothesis based solely on BSE transmissions and a lab study where they force fed rodents CWD infected meat, especially parts of the body that have the highest concentrations. That is not evidence based, factual proof.

All that being said, I am not an expert on CWD either. However, I do have quite a bit of knowledge around biological agents, transmission effectiveness, contagiousness, and their health effects to know how the CDC reacts to things. The CDC recommendation to not eat the meat is a CYA measure and I don't fault them for that. However, bear in mind the CDC is the same agency who could not tell me how to properly outfit my nursing and physician staff for months during the 2014 Ebola crisis, something I felt that should have had a grasp on. Just my take on it.

JJ3

fairchaser":1bosgjdn said:
The conventional wisdom is that we have had it now for 3-5 years. The sampling done before failed to catch it but sampling was ramped up after Marshall County, MS discovered it. They said that the sampling they did this year would have discovered it at a 1% prevalence rate. Since we are 10 times that, they were bound to find it. I'm not aware of how extensive the sampling is in MS, so they could have it at a higher rate than it appears.

According to the Mississippi sampling map, they have tested 159 in Marshall County with 3 positives (all near Holly Springs and I-22) and 94 in Benton County. It doesn't show what the backlog is and if all 159 of those in Marshall have completed testing. If they have completed testing on the 159 then the prevalence rate in Marshall County appears well below Fayette and Hardeman Counties.

I listened to a podcast that MDWF had on the site -- they said that they are performing their own tests for the preliminary results and sending to Iowa for the confirmation.

https://www.mdwfp.com/wildlife-hunting/ ... e/cwd-map/
Click on the map and zoom in to see the specifics.

JJ3

BigAl":iho8sjdd said:
ronnycl":iho8sjdd said:
It is growing lastest numbers from todays meeting
Can't find this posted online anywhere. I got an email last night but it didn't have the updated map.
Anyone know if they have posted this?

I haven't seen the updated map posted, but it was contained in the TWFC meeting video on YouTube on January 17. Link to the video is below, the CWD portion of the meeting starts about the 1:39 mark. The map is Dr. Groves presentation.

https://youtu.be/ICrjHbe2YCc

BigAl

JJ3":2x54hmqm said:
BigAl":2x54hmqm said:
ronnycl":2x54hmqm said:
It is growing lastest numbers from todays meeting
Can't find this posted online anywhere. I got an email last night but it didn't have the updated map.
Anyone know if they have posted this?

I haven't seen the updated map posted, but it was contained in the TWFC meeting video on YouTube on January 17. Link to the video is below, the CWD portion of the meeting starts about the 1:39 mark. The map is Dr. Groves presentation.

https://youtu.be/ICrjHbe2YCc
Thanks!

fairchaser

Based on this meeting, Shelby Co. Is now in the CMZ and applicable rules apply. However, the extended season is not an automatic. But, it could very well also be extended to increase the samples for Shelby Co. so stay tuned. At least those of us who hunt in Fayette Co. but live in Shelby Co. can relax a little if we need to transport a deer across the county line. Another point of interest was there is an ideal deer density which maintains the population while keeping the disease from growing rapidly. It wasn't stated what that was however and it may depend on other factors. If the population is very high like 50 deer per square mile, it could be beneficial to reduce that to minimize interactions. Too few deer could cause a vacuum and deer from other areas will migrate in. The ideal deer density is a balancing act. One conclusion stated over and over is to expect a younger deer herd as time goes on with this disease.

Andy S.

fairchaser":2slqrpde said:
One conclusion stated over and over is to expect a younger deer herd as time goes on with this disease.
This is huge if one wants to manage for, grow, hunt and kill mature bucks. Not the news I want to hear, but it is what it is, and time will tell.

Latest posts