Meigs Warden caught baiting

JCDEERMAN

In general, the only time a warden comes onto the property is if there is a vehicle parked at the gate registered to a nonlicensed individual or if someone has reported illegal activity. Most wardens don't have the time to randomly check legal hunters. I'd be looking at your jealous neighbors to see who is reporting your FIL.
Agreed and that is the case. Where this happened last fall, he has had run-ins with a couple trespassers. I've helped him put cables up, etc.... only to have them ripped down by the following week. We got pics of them, but not very good ones. Stolen stands, canoes, etc...They killed a 4pt and left the carcass in the middle of the road where we put the cable up just to piss him off. Guy came in on him last fall and he waited till the guy got close and saw him, trespasser turned around and ran, FIL chased him and decided it wasn't worth getting shot over. Makes you just want to give up on humanity.

He has a temper and I don't know how he's dealt with it all these years. I haven't had to deal with that much here in M TN, fortunately.

waynesworld

Um yes they do. Ain't no part of the government entering my home without a warrant. They can look around the fields all they want but they better have evidence I'm participating in hunting to enter the field.
No they don't according to the US Supreme Court. Your house is different then your field.

waynesworld

ruby ridge2 coming to Dyersburg :)

It isn't about letting anyone violate your privacy it is what has been upheld in court on what officers can do. Do I like it probably not but it is not where I would try to keep them off my land using force. If the legislature do bring up the Open fields doctrine I will let them know where I stand on it.

Rakkin6

TheLBLman

I just can't see passing judgment about something I read on the internet, that may be leaving out some key details, may have been a "set-up", may just be a mistake, who knows.

That said, I do think those in law enforcement should generally be subjected to the same repercussions that we subject others.

Also believe there was much wisdom in the statement:
Let he who is without sin, cast the first stone,
as well as the legal presumption of innocence until proven guilty.

So, no, I'm not jumping on some internet bandwagon to burn someone at the stake due to some hearsay, and that's all it is (at least here on this forum) until and unless some solid evidence of a crime is presented.

Ultimately, I may end up agreeing with the original poster, but it's not going to happen because of internet hearsay.

Lastly, we can choose to measure one's life with more bias on his good or his bad decisions, realizing every one of us has made tons of bad decisions, often without legal ramifications only because we didn't get caught.

In the case of TWRA officer Chris Combs, I know nothing, absolutely nothing.

In the case of Dale Grandstand, I've heard mostly good, like from the link below:

Rakkin6

False. Dale has always been a state employee not federal.
Really I know that he was in on that big poaching bust on Fort Campbell. You could well be right I just thought differently. Thought he was on the Fort also. Isn't this Dale here giving the briefing. Like I said I could be wrong but I thought he worked on post and I know that he busted these guys on Fort Campbell.

Attachments

• hqdefault.jpg
    hqdefault.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 114
  • 201121115493-trophy_poachers_f.jpg
    201121115493-trophy_poachers_f.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 118

Omega

Fort Campbell MPs serve(d) as game wardens, they as far as I know, don't have Federal Game Wardens. Since the majority of Ft Campbell sits in TN, TWRA used to have some kind of jurisdiction there, as was the case on the above bust. I had read about the bust and incident involving the turkey hunt a few years ago, when I had the run in with his partner Odom.

I'm not for the Meigs guy losing his job, unless it is part of their ethics agreement, but I do feel he should face the same penalties as the rest of us.

TheLBLman

Really I know that he was in on that big poaching bust on Fort Campbell. . . . . Like I said I could be wrong but I thought he worked on post and I know that he busted these guys on Fort Campbell.
Correct.
Many people don't realize it, but TWRA Wildlife Officers are additionally "1st Responders" and they also frequently have the role of being involved with any wildlife issues on federal lands such as Ft. Campbell, National Wildlife Refuges, and LBL.

In some aspects, a TWRA officer is somewhat like a sheriff patrolling the county, and can be the 1st responder to anything bad anywhere in his county.

I'm not for the Meigs guy losing his job, unless it is part of their ethics agreement, but I do feel he should face the same penalties as the rest of us.

Agree.
Just saying I don't even yet know what is truth or what is fiction regarding whatever happened.

Headhunter

No they don't according to the US Supreme Court. Your house is different then your field.
Yes they do. Well to enter a home they do. I know of a local guy who got busted for several violations. I asked the warden why they did not go into his home and look for some other things I had heard about, he said, "we couldn't go into his home without his consent, we did not have a warrant."

@fulldraw

Really I know that he was in on that big poaching bust on Fort Campbell. You could well be right I just thought differently. Thought he was on the Fort also. Isn't this Dale here giving the briefing. Like I said I could be wrong but I thought he worked on post and I know that he busted these guys on Fort Campbell.
He and other TWRA officers assist with the FC game wardens but he does not work for FC. FC has two US Fish and Wildlife game wardens.

redblood

In general, the only time a warden comes onto the property is if there is a vehicle parked at the gate registered to a nonlicensed individual or if someone has reported illegal activity. Most wardens don't have the time to randomly check legal hunters. I'd be looking at your jealous neighbors to see who is reporting your FIL.
They did that to me on MY LAND! On opening morning of rifle and then tried to write me a ticket for no orange -on MY LAND. Of course he couldnt...but he sure tried

Omega

They did that to me on MY LAND! On opening morning of rifle and then tried to write me a ticket for no orange -on MY LAND. Of course he couldnt...but he sure tried
I was written up for that, and he graciously offered to drop that charge in court (they are the prosecutors in Montgomery County) if I pled guilty to the other charges. LMFAO

Sako

Correct.
Many people don't realize it, but TWRA Wildlife Officers are additionally "1st Responders" and they also frequently have the role of being involved with any wildlife issues on federal lands such as Ft. Campbell, National Wildlife Refuges, and LBL.

In some aspects, a TWRA officer is somewhat like a sheriff patrolling the county, and can be the 1st responder to anything bad anywhere in his county.

Agree.
Just saying I don't even yet know what is truth or what is fiction regarding whatever happened.
I personally talked with the TWRA and they confirmed that it did happen. Chris Combs should be fired

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
Best one I have personally had was when I was told I was legally responsible to have a fire extinguisher on my boat. It is a 16' boat.
I asked when they changed the law and he said, "Well when you replaced the floor in this boat you created a cavity where fumes can accumulate so you are supposed to have one now."

A sheet of 3/4" plywood laid directly on, and screwed to, the existing one?????

Dude was seriously confused at to what the laws really are.

Bless his heart. :D

Harold Money jr

I checked with some hunters in Meigs county. It seems the farmer on whose land the bait was found had been bragging around town about being able to keep baiting if he let the sergeant and his kids hunt turkeys. He didn't want them to get in trouble, he just bragged too much. Apparently It was pretty much common knowledge in the small town. Supposedly there's more stuff coming from other sources.

Latest posts