Baiting Bill HB1618/SB1942

Should baiting be allowed on private land?

• Yes

Votes: 147 38.5%
  • No

Votes: 178 46.6%
  • Don't care

Votes: 57 14.9%

• Total voters

FTP

Baiting is NOT an issue for the turkeys.
This is the Agency's excuse because they've allowed the flock to be shot to 💩 the last decade.
My neighbor feeds year around, doesn't hunt em, likes to watch em, we got turkeys out the Arse!!
I don't hunt em, our adjoining property owners don't hunt em, therefore, the flock is not getting shot all to hell every Spring, so we have an abundance of birds.

MidTennFisher

Baiting is NOT an issue for the turkeys.
This is the Agency's excuse because they've allowed the flock to be shot to 💩 the last decade.
My neighbor feeds year around, doesn't hunt em, likes to watch em, we got turkeys out the Arse!!
I don't hunt em, our adjoining property owners don't hunt em, therefore, the flock is not getting shot all to hell every Spring, so we have an abundance of birds.
What do you say then in response to the scientific studies that say it can produce enough aflatoxin to kill young turkeys?

Your neighbor's situation is different because those birds aren't hunted. They are also lured in with bait so that keeps them around. The combination of hunting pressure plus aflatoxins and propped up nest raider/predator population is not a good thing.

ImThere

What do you say then in response to the scientific studies that say it can produce enough aflatoxin to kill young turkeys?

Your neighbor's situation is different because those birds aren't hunted. They are also lured in with bait so that keeps them around. The combination of hunting pressure plus aflatoxins and propped up nest raider/predator population is not a good thing.
This is the silliest chit I ever heard! It's like common sense backed by science! I mean how could you bring that into a conversation?

Lost Lake

I may be stating the blatantly obvious, but after skimming back through the posts, it seems that most who are opposed to baiting are worried far more about turkeys than deer. Looks like turkeys carry far more weight.

Last edited:

FTP

Data and studies can always show you what you want the outcome to show.
I don't believe in the "My lying Eyes" theory. I've watched the old dude feed turkeys year round for 20 years. Turkeys out the wazoo…

deerhunter10

Data and studies can always show you what you want the outcome to show.
I don't believe in the "My lying Eyes" theory. I've watched the old dude feed turkeys year round for 20 years. Turkeys out the wazoo…
Well you're lucky. Most here that turkey hunt or pay attention to it. Have numerous examples of turkeys completely disappearing. Sounds like you an exception not the rule.

LookinforDirt

I'm firmly in the no baiting camp. I'm more firmly in the no ballot box decision making on wildlife issues camp. TWRA needs to get ahead of this and make smart choices to keep the legislature out of historically fish and game matters. Ultimately the legislature has the power if they choose to exercise it. People need to get involved and speak up. Want to end up like Colorado or Washington? Let the legislature start getting involved in these types of decisions.

TboneD

Do we really need deer season? Seems most of Tn is overpopulated and the agency is begging for more deer to be killed. Just thinking out loud.
^^^^Yet another unintended outcome of liberal limits.^^^^

Timberjack, long story short, unregulated hunting in this country is what absolutely decimated whitetails as well as other game before and after the turn of the 20th century, and it took many decades for the populations to get to where a state might create a Unit L. I'm not young but not too old, and I bet I'm not the only one here who was raised in a part of the south where when we were teenagers folks had to go to the mountains, big river bottoms or a relatively expansive WMA to find enough deer to hunt. There's a lot more to TWRA's reasoning behind Unit L than you might think, but you can think out loud all you want.

Last edited:

Latest posts