baiting in Tennessee

diamond hunter

Baiting in Tennessee. Old,crazy topic.I know many are opposed,like my friend BSK for biological reasons.Some are opposed because of diseases spread.OK,salt licks must not spread them. Here are my reasons for wanting baiting to be allowed in Tennessee. 1. I have 350 acres and I do not bait during season,but I do for pictures and see multiple deer ,does multiple bucks that are shooters for me.Once season starts,those deer are no longer seen,unless its a small buck cruising and being stupid.I went on 16 hunts this season and never saw more than 5 deer on any hunt unless it was a small buck.I know that my neighbors pull them over the line with corn.And I know they shoot them,I have a picture from this year.So,I dont break the law and the neighbor does and he gets the benefit and I just get tired.Got it. 2. I go hunt with a friend in Kentucky and both hunts see 10-12 deer and shooters both hunts.Corn there all year and thats what brought them out of the thicket.3.Gamewardens wouldnt get any more calls about baiting if it was legal.They could chase the guys that do illegal things.4. I can only kill two bucks,why care how I do it.Who cares if the buck came out because the girlfriend was eating corn from a feeder.Please TWRA,just end this deal and make it legal to pour out a bag of corn.You can buy a bag during deer season at our local grocery store.

Stumpsitter

The 1 buck I killed this year was following a doe. He had corn in him & I don't bait.
I think a lot of people do it, more than a lot of people think. Especially on the velvet hunt. I think TWRA knows it's being done and just don't want to approach it. Unless it's on a case by case basis. I personally think it's a waste of money when there's acorns in the woods. I guess I could see it in late season or a poor acorn crop season. I guess it's a personal choice.

scn

I'm pretty neutral on it for deer. Studies (good one for NC) have shown that it is pretty effective for a year or two, and then the deer really become nocturnal and non-baiting areas can have higher success.

But, I will remain 100% opposed for the bad effects on turkeys from the tainted corn, and the effects on bear baiting in ETN. Bears are pretty vulnerable to bait, both still/stand hunting and dogging. And, before anyone chimes in, yes, it illegally goes on all the time.

People need to learn some woodsmanship and quit relying on a crutch.

Last edited:

utvolsfan77

I'm pretty neutral on it for deer. Studies (good one for NC) have shown that it is pretty effective for a year or two, and then the deer really become nocturnal and non-baiting areas can have higher success.

But, I will remain 100% opposed for the bad effects on turkeys from the tainted corn, and the effects on bear baiting in ETN. Bears are pretty vulnerable to bait, both still/stand hunting and dogging. And, before anyone chimes in, yes, it illegally goes on all the time.

People need to learn some woodsmanship and quit relying on a crutch.
Asking for the benefit of younger folks that may be growing up without a dad or those a bit older that may not have had anyone to teach/mentor them. How would those folks learn woodsmanship without anyone to teach them? A person can only learn so much from reading magazines and books or watching videos on YouTube. I think everyone will agree that hands-on learning is the best way of learning, but where does one start?

Last edited:

Buzzard Breath

Asking for the benefit of younger folks that may be growing up without a dad or those a bit older that may not have had anyone to teach/mentor them. How would those folks learn woodsmanship without anyone to teach them? A person can only learn so much from reading magazines and books or watching videos on YouTube. I think everyone will agree than hands-on learning is the best way of learning, but where does one start?
One starts to learn woodsmanship by spending less time reading magazines and books or watching Youtube, and spending more time observing animal behavior in the woods.

I hate you are having the issues you are. I don't like getting anyone in trouble, but since it is directly impacting you and your property you must. I do not agree with baiting and never will. If you can stop your neighbor from doing it, I think it will benefit you more than you baiting also. I hunted a long time before I got consistent on finding and killing mature bucks and figuring them out is the trophy, not the antlers. There are no short cuts.

Ski

I'm personally not a fan of baiting but neighbors sure are. Been dealing with it forever. If somebody kills a big buck over a pile of corn & feel good about it, good for them. It doesn't trip my trigger. It's legal where I own property in Ohio and I still don't do it. My brother does it on his place. I don't do it on mine. My only argument against it would be potential health risks to the wildlife. Otherwise I feel it's personal choice where legal, and cheating where it's not legal.

Ski

Asking for the benefit of younger folks that may be growing up without a dad or those a bit older that may not have had anyone to teach/mentor them. How would those folks learn woodsmanship without anyone to teach them? A person can only learn so much from reading magazines and books or watching videos on YouTube. I think everyone will agree than hands-on learning is the best way of learning, but where does one start?

Be in the woods as much as you can, whether actively hunting or not. I'm in the woods probably 3x as much as I hunt. I just really like being out there. Pay attention to the things you see and try to pick out patterns, reasons why you're seeing what you see. Although there are some finer details you learn as you go, the nuts & bolts of it are pretty basic and will come naturally to you if you don't overthink it. It's literally what your body & mind were built for.

Deer 1

I have food plots for when seasons are open and also feed extra during the rest of the year.
Still got standing corn I'm going to start bush hogging strips through about 2 weeks before turkey season opens!!!

Its the rules. I play by them

Pilchard

Using Logic and Reason, I use bait to attract fish
What is the difference using Logic and Reason "IF" I use bait to attract deer? I understand the legality of it, but that is not what I'm arguing.
The hook and bait are equivalent to the gun and bullet in my opinion. The corn would be the same as a single brush pile in a 40 acre pond.

Last edited:

Latest posts