History of Deer and Turkey in Tennessee

Iglow

Back in the day, we always took white thread and a needle hunting. If somebody shot a buck we'd keep hunting till we got a doe. After they were gutted we'd cut the does head off and sew the bucks balls and pecker on the doe and hope for the best on the way home……

Just kiddin! 🤣

fatboy

Tellico and Ocoee were the go to places in the 60 and 70. They held quota hunts either sex. Not sure what happened but they ain't like they once was

bhud84

Deer existed in isolated pockets across TN, but by and large, deer had been eradicated from TN. However, it was not settlers/subsistence hunters who did that. It was market hunters, and most importantly, the invention of the refrigerated boxcar. At the time, almost all meat sold in stores was wild game. It was perfectly legal to sell wild deer, fish, bird meat in stores, and market hunters made their living killing/catching wild game and selling it to the resellers. This greatly harmed the wild game populations, but what really wiped them out was the invention of the refrigerated boxcar. Once these were available, deer from the Midwest and Southeast could be shipped to the big cities of the East Coast. THAT is what destroyed the wildlife populations of the Eastern U.S.

I have seen copies of the rail shipping manifests where MILLIONS of deer carcasses are being shipped from the Midwest to New York, Boston, Philadelphia, etc. via refrigerated boxcar.

Now where deer populations are compared to the past is a tricky situation. Before Europeans first arrived in North America, the native people did a lot of habitat enhancement through fire that would have allowed a very high deer density. However, after De Soto's visit to the Southeast, smallpox swept the entire Americas, possibly killing 95% of the native populations. The societal breakdown and lack of population allowed the Southeastern U.S. to revert back to climax hardwood forests instead of the oak/pine savannahs they had been before De Soto, and climax hardwood forests support very, very few deer.
Great read...Thank you..

bhud84

Opening day 1975 we went to Big Sandy and stayed in a fleabag room behind a diner there, that morning hunters were eating and drinking coffee, the cigarette smoke was thick from the brown ceiling to about shoulder level in there. Billy Swan and Freddie Fender was on the radio.
My dad left me on a low ridge top with a silver rayovac flashlight, some pop tarts and a marlin 30/30 and told me "don't shoot a doe and stay here till I come back to get you".
The sun came up and man it sounded like the battle for Berlin!!! I hunkered down after I heard a bullet make that fluttering sound as it ricocheted by. About 8 3 does came running up to within 30 yards and froze, then bolted off the ridge, those were the first deer I ever saw.
Lol...awesome story!

KTS

Yes I remember well those days when deer were first stocked in middle Tennessee. The first deer I ever saw was from the school bus in the late fifties in a cow pasture. I would strain my eyes and neck every time the bus passed that farm and occasionally I would get to see that doe that hung out close to the cows.
I bought my first deer stamp in 1962, and remember how excited I got when I saw my first track.
It took me two years to kill my first buck, I told the story of that buck in my post 62 seasons.
Like many others I would never have believed how plentiful deer would become in my lifetime.
But dang it, to be so plentiful I sure are having a hard time this season getting a bead on one. :)

Latest posts