Looks Like Canned Spann

W.Seay

How was he in trouble, not to play devils advocate but if he didn't have a gun in his hands and hadn't killed or shot at anything what's the beef?

Southern Sportsman

The terms of his probation prohibited "hunting" and "hunting" has a very very broad legal definition under TN statute (See above). It seems to me, right or wrong, that he's getting the book thrown over a technicality. Dont get me wrong, from everything ive ever heard, he's a first class doucher, but this seems excessive.

Nealmeally

Southern Sportsman said:
The terms of his probation prohibited "hunting" and "hunting" has a very very broad legal definition under TN statute (See above). It seems to me, right or wrong, that he's getting the book thrown over a technicality. Dont get me wrong, from everything ive ever heard, he's a first class doucher, but this seems excessive.

He broke the law. He was assisting in taking an animal and in TN you have to have a license. Especially calling Turkey, driving deer, etc..

CAW

From the TN regulations regarding turkey hunting:

"A licensed turkey hunter, who has filled his
bag limit or does not possess a valid permit
for a quota hunt, may accompany another
turkey hunter who has a valid permit (except
on WMAs where prohibited) and assist him
in calling, but may not have a gun or bow in
his/her possession."

That says that the hunter assisting must be licensed. Nealmeally was correct and is exactly why Spook got busted. Again.

BSK

CAW said:
But I still have trouble with him being designated a "hunter" simply because he was calling for someone else.

He was calling a bird to the gun. Does it really matter who is pulling the trigger at that point? If you are calling in an animal so it can be killed, you are participating in the hunt; i.e. hunting.

G8rntn

When I kill turkeys off of AEDC the wardens tell me I can go call with no gun... So how is this any different from him?

Roost 1

I am sure it didnt help his cause that he had the place baited for his buddies........There were also many pics of him and the Titans players duck hunting back in the winter as well...
I would say he wasnt taking his probation very seriously, maybe he will now...
Folks like him are whats wrong with hunting today...I cant believe a true outdoorsman would even try to defend his actions.
...and I would asy there are some on here that may ought to read the hunting guide a little closer before they end up in trouble.

Southern Sportsman

G8rntn said:
When I kill turkeys off of AEDC the wardens tell me I can go call with no gun... So how is this any different from him?
The difference would be that you're still a licensed hunter even after being tagged out. You cant shoot anymore, but can still go.

I stand corrected on one of my previous statements. You do need a license to call for someone. Ive had a Lifetime license since i was a kid and have never really thought about this issue.

And I am not defending what Spook did. I just think 30 days in JAIL is a bit much for CALLING a turkey. (And not enough for poaching a turkey, so if the place was really baited, then I applaud the judge).

farmin68

BSK said:
G8rntn said:

He was calling birds to the gun.

Right. Calling animals is part of the hunt and requires a license. A person can go on a hunt with a hunter, but the moment they become anything more than a spectator in the pursuit of an animal, they are hunting.

farmin68

Southern Sportsman said:
G8rntn said:
And I am not defending what Spook did. I just think 30 days in JAIL is a bit much for CALLING a turkey.

I haven't read the details, but I'm almost certain Spook got the 30 days for violating the terms of his ongoing probation.

CAW

Roost 1 said:
I am sure it didnt help his cause that he had the place baited for his buddies........There were also many pics of him and the Titans players duck hunting back in the winter as well...
I would say he wasnt taking his probation very seriously, maybe he will now...
Folks like him are whats wrong with hunting today...I cant believe a true outdoorsman would even try to defend his actions.
...and I would asy there are some on here that may ought to read the hunting guide a little closer before they end up in trouble.

I don't think anyone in this thread was defending his actions (maybe I missed a post somewhere). I know that there were a couple (including me) that were unclear about the law. I looked into it myself, posted where it is addressed in the regs and said that he did in fact need a license. I don't see where any of that is unreasonable and surely doesn't mean that anyone questioning what happened is in some way not a "true outdoorsman".

Diehard Hunter

This is the legal definition of hunting:

TCA 70-1-101:

19) "Hunting" means chasing, driving, flushing, attracting, pursuing, worrying, following after or on the trail of, searching for, trapping, shooting at, stalking, or lying in wait for, any wildlife, whether or not such wildlife is then or subsequently captured, killed, taken, or wounded and every act of assistance to any other person, but "hunting" does not include stalking, attracting, searching for, or lying in wait for, wildlife by an unarmed person solely for the purpose of watching wildlife or taking pictures of wildlife

Every act of assistance, including calling, carrying and placing decoys, etc. is hunting and requires a license and the legal ability to be licensed (not on revocation).

Edited by scn (Today at 07:07 AM)

He was hunting. He was attracting and he was assisting other hunters. He was not there solely for the purpose of watching or taking pictures.

Hunting by definition does not need to include killing.

farmin68

MUP said:
Thanks for the detailed explanations guys. Not so much for the talking down to of other members tho. ;)

Am I missing something here? If one of my posts offended you, that certainly wasn't my intent.