Spook Spann Exonerated

megalomaniac

He is also featured in an episode of I shouldn't be alive. Hunting in Kyrgyzstan and trucks get stuck in a blizzard. Rescued by a helicopter and then it crashed. Had to be rescued again.
Forgot about that...

He and his dad were hunting Marco Polo sheep. I remember the headlines because they were from outside Dickson, and I grew up in Dickson.

Wonder if they killed their sheep before everything went to crap?

Ski

He is also featured in an episode of I shouldn't be alive. Hunting in Kyrgyzstan and trucks get stuck in a blizzard. Rescued by a helicopter and then it crashed. Had to be rescued again.

Kyrgyzstan is rough country with some pretty extreme winters. We stayed in tents at their international airport and forward deployed from there. I remember one winter front in particular where temps sank to -40* and stayed. It was Christmas. Even with a kerosene heater burning jet fuel we couldn't get that tent above freezing. It was miserable.

Kahrman

Forgot about that...

He and his dad were hunting Marco Polo sheep. I remember the headlines because they were from outside Dickson, and I grew up in Dickson.

Wonder if they killed their sheep before everything went to crap?
Sorry for the crappy pic. This was taken before cell phones had good cameras.

Attachments

• 166123935621_290.jpg
    166123935621_290.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 93

Kahrman

A few more from his trophy room.

Attachments

• 166123777413_290.jpg
    166123777413_290.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 93
  • 166123860741_290.jpg
    166123860741_290.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 117
  • 166124000645_290.jpg
    166124000645_290.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 97
  • 166124069637_290.jpg
    166124069637_290.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 94
  • 166123610885_290.jpg
    166123610885_290.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 86
  • 166124204293_290.jpg
    166124204293_290.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 89

megalomaniac

I wonder how many of those were legit. He is after all a convicted trespassing poacher. Doubtful that was a one off.
I would imagine almost all are legit...
He was convicted of poaching, but not tresspassing. He had permission to hunt the land the buck was on, had a valid license for the adjoining farm, but just not the actual farm the deer was killed on.

I suspect the vast majority of the bucks are secondary to $$$... lots of it. I doubt he even gets out of bed to hunt unless he has a buck over 180" to chase.

Kahrman

Mega is correct. Also the buck was killed about 50-70 yards onto the the farm where he had permission but not a tag. He claims he thought his tag covered both farms. He is a professional hunter and absolutely should have know where his tag was and was not good. Then bringing the deer bag to Tn triggered the Lacey Act violation.

I dug up a letter he posted about the first problem with the TWRA. He was not hunting but should have known that he was required to have a license to do what he did.

Hello, this is Spook Spann. I wanted to take a minute to express my extreme gratitude to all of the hunters, fans, sponsors, and industry professionals who have supported my family and I during some difficult times.

As you may have read, I was recently charged with a probation violation, as a result of setting out a turkey decoy for some friends to use during a charity hunt we held, to raise money for medical research, on behalf of a family from my church. This family has two little boys who have a terminal illness (Duchesne Muscular Dystrophy ) . I also sit on the board for the Duchesne Muscular Dystrophy Foundation.

I did not attempt to purchase a hunting tag, I did not carry a weapon, and I did not attempt to harvest any animals. I did wear camo, and I did set out a turkey decoy for the charity hunt previously mentioned. Per the State Statute of Tennessee, putting out the decoy is considered hunting. No one I know (including myself) has ever considered anything outside taking a weapon and trying to harvest an animal the act of hunting. I've learned that hunting is defined differently (and sometimes bizarrely) in every state. I should have hired counsel to review all the laws and advise accordingly. I strongly encourage fellow hunters, TV personalities, and those in the hunting industry to carefully read all the laws in each and every state before hunting. Whatever you do, do not go on the advice of outfitters or fellow hunters.

We made our case in court, with the help of multiple witnesses, who refuted the evidence and testimony presented by the prosecution. We left court feeling confident based on the evidence presented to the court supporting our position, but were surprised later when the judge gave his decision. This is a decision that cannot be appealed.

I respect the judge, and the job he has to do, but I simply do not agree with his decision. I made no attempt to hunt, or to violate any other hunting laws for that matter. I provided multiple witnesses who corroborated these facts. At no time did any hunter hunt over feed, see any feed, or even see turkeys act as if they were looking for feed. Each hunter testified to this, including Alex Rutledge, who is an expert on the behavior of turkeys.

It breaks my heart to think that I've brought any negativity to the industry. Outside of God and family, I've given my whole life to the improvement of wildlife - always giving back far more than I take. It has never been my intention to act as though I am, "above the law", God knows that, and the people in my life have shown me that they know it too. I never would have thought that putting out a decoy without a weapon would constitute the act of hunting. At the end of the day I take full responsibility for my actions as I should have been more aware of the state's definition of hunting.

I am simply overwhelmed by the show of support I've gotten, and I assure you, it has touched my heart, and the hearts of my wife and children. I will work tirelessly to find ways to better our sport, passion and industry as I manage through this.

Thank you all and God bless.

-Spook

String Music

One of the federal laws that got changed was banning a government agency from placing trail cameras on private property without the owner's consent without having probable cause.

gladesman60

I would imagine almost all are legit...
He was convicted of poaching, but not tresspassing. He had permission to hunt the land the buck was on, had a valid license for the adjoining farm, but just not the actual farm the deer was killed on.

I suspect the vast majority of the bucks are secondary to $$$... lots of it. I doubt he even gets out of bed to hunt unless he has a buck over 180" to chase.
everyone convicted has an excuse.

double browtine

Dang where did this guy make all his money?
Spook, his Dad, and his brother were all loggers back before he became a celebrity hunter. They would buy land, cut all the trees and then set it up for hunting with food plots and stands. Similar to what mossy oak properties is doing now.
I'm sure they did this more than once, but they would supposedly do a select cut on properties that were owned by others and cut it on a 50/50 basis. Well I know they were caught once hauling logs to another mill that wasn't associated with the current property owner. In other words they were hauling some extra logs that were unaccounted for that the property owners didn't know about. Thence they were cutting 2 trees for themselves and 1 for the owners of the property. I guess all that crookedness caught up with him when the authorities started keeping an eye on him.

Sako

If my memory serves me right, allegations were baiting turkeys, hunting over bait, tampering with evidence (destroying cell phone), etc. Several years back.
Oh you mean the same thing that the TWRA Region III game warden manger Chris Combs did and was caught re handed doing with his children and still works in the same position at the TWRA... interesting

Sako

I wouldn't go so far as to blame it on TWRA for it being drug out. I know some TWRA folks, and they will tell you that they can have a bulletproof case and they know that it won't stick since wildlife crimes are often viewed as victimless crimes. Judges throw out cases, throw in procedural delays, decide to not allow certain evidence to be admissible, or let punishment slide even if someone is found guilty. Local judges are elected positions, and they want to return favors and stay in their position. Add to this that there are big dollar lawyers involved (like the Bowmars) and you start to better understand why it's so hard to tell fact from fiction in these cases.

I don't know the details in this case, but we are only hearing one side of it, and I'm sure that it's all that we will ever be allowed to hear. Just because a case is dropped or thrown out does not make someone exonerated or innocent. It makes them not guilty of the charges.
This must be why they do not even go after their own game wardens who are caught poaching with their juvenile sons hunting turkey over corn and killing over the limit... Until they fire Sgt. Chris Combs I will never have any respect for the TWRA

Latest posts