Do gut piles spook deer?

Back Home

I may have made a mistake on Saturday by gutting the deer I killed close to my tree. Didn't see anything this morning, which was very surprising.

Does anyone know for sure whether or not this is a possible reason?

Jcalder

I killed a deer last year in the morning. Gutted her within sight of where I was hunting. That evening I had 2 deer walk by the what was left. One of them stayed for 10 minutes sniffing around

Big or small, kill em all

Dbllunger

I set up a camera on a gut pile about 4 years ago and posted the results here. Within hours buzzards and just about every other critter started showing up. Had buzzards, coyotes, bobcats, hawks, coons and yes, even deer. The deer didn't seem to mind one little bit.

I always gut mine where they lay. I'm too old, fat and lazy to drag extra weight around. Work smarter, not harder.

lightsareout

personally I don't think so. My dad shot a deer on stand in the PM, i shot one the following AM down the same shooting lane

BUCKTOOF

To the best of my memory, I have never witnessed a deer spook from a gut pile. They cross paths with death, carcasses, etc. , whenever they happen by them through out the year.

John3

3 years ago I shot a doe on opening morning of rifle season and gutted her in the edge of the field. The next morning I had a really big 10 point coming straight toward me down the tree line. Where the Doe fell and I gutted her was in a low spot that I couldn't see from the stand. I was waiting on the buck to come up out of the low spot to shoot, but the next time I saw him he had turned and was trotting away spooked from where the pile was. I don't know if it was the guts, my scent, or coyote scent that spooked him. He was really wide but didn't have great tine length but I would have been extremely happy to put him on the wall. Never saw him again. From then on, if at all possible, I get the deer out before field dressing.

WRbowhunter

I think given the choice if I was going to hunt that spot that afternoon or next morning I would gut the deer somewhere else. If it was going to be a couple of days later then OK to gut.

PillsburyDoughboy

I've actually had the fawns of a doe I killed bed down in close proximity to a gut pile I killed in the AM. I don't know if they were smelling her blood or maybe her the scent from her hide where she lay but they knew she was in the area for some period of time.

I think blood and guts are normal everyday things for deer and it does not bother them, human scent left from gutting. Perhaps coyotes and other critters may have a deterrent if they are in the area.

backyardtndeer

No they do not. The yotes coming in to the pile however might keep deer away for a little while. Have run tc's on gutpiles a few times in the past and surprisingly deer are among the most common visitors sniffing around.