Looks Like Canned Spann

bowriter

R.I.P.
Spann Gets Jail Time. Copyright John L. Sloan July 31, 2013

Dickson television hunting personality�Spook� Spann is looking at possible time behind bars. William �Spook� Spann has been sentenced to 30-days in jail and banned from hunting worldwide for a year.
Spann, 50 from Dickson received the sentence from Judge James P O�Hara today in U.S. District Court in Kansas City, MO for violating his parole on a previous wildlife violation. In 2012, Spann pled guilty to a 2007 violation of the Lacey Act. He brought an illegally tagged buck to TN from Kansas. He was ordered to pay $20,000 in fines and restitution and was banned form hunting in the U.S. for six months. In addition, he was ordered to forfeit the buck which had 230-inches of antlers, making it one of the largest ever killed with a bow. He also had to forfeit any replicas he had made.
Federal wardens obtained video footage and facebook photos of Spann in camouflage assisting other hunters during the 2013 TN spring turkey season. Although he did not kill a bird and was not carrying a gun, he was ruled to be hunting thereby violating the terms of his probation.
###

landman

Wes Parrish said:
bowriter said:
. . . . . banned from hunting worldwide for a year.
How does that work?

Not hard when you violate Federal Parole, but pleading guilty in Feb of this year you are no NO HUNTing nation wide you run over seas to New Zealand to hunt and them in the middle of parole violation hearings to go to Africa to hunt, Federal Judges
doesn't like people who think they are that smart

Nealmeally

Master Chief said:
I don't really agree with saying he was hunting, but he should not have been in the situation anyways.

If you are calling Turkeys for someone you are hunting. Dressed in camo and assisting others. He must have been hunting or it wouldn't have come to more charges.

CAW

Wow, I agree that he should have never been in that situation to begin with, but I did not realize that calling turkeys for someone else meant that you were actually hunting.

What if he was by himself in the woods without a weapon and called to some turkeys, would that be considered hunting? Or, is the fact that he was with someone who was hunting make him a hunter?

Again, I don't think he should have ever been in the situation to begin with. From what I read, it was not a "simple mistake" that got him in trouble to begin with. But I still have trouble with him being designated a "hunter" simply because he was calling for someone else. I'd like to see that rule/law if someone has it.

Southern Sportsman

Master Chief said:
I don't really agree with saying he was hunting, but he should not have been in the situation anyways.

I agree with this. I don't know the details of his first legal issue so I won't comment on it, but I think hammering him for calling turkeys for others is a bit ridiculous when it is undisputed that he didn't have a gun or kill a bird. I know that it violated the letter of the law, but IMHO, the TCA definition of "hunting" is way too broad. ("'Hunting' means chasing, driving, flushing, attracting, pursuing, worrying, following after or on the trail of, searching for, trapping, shooting at, stalking, or lying in wait for, any wildlife, whether or not such wildlife is then or subsequently captured, killed, taken, or wounded and every act of assistance to any other person").

He would have technically been in violation of his parole if he had stood on his back porch naked at sunset, while drinking a beer, and owl hooted to locate a turkey if he relayed to that information to his buddy who hunted the next morning. He would have been in violation if he threw rocks a squirrels raiding his bird feeder. I personally believe that, for the sake of time, resources, and judicial economy, maybe we should give a guy a pass when he is simply trying to call a turkey for a buddy, even if he did screw up tagging a KS deer a year before.

Southern Sportsman

CAW said:
What if he was by himself in the woods without a weapon and called to some turkeys, would that be considered hunting? Or, is the fact that he was with someone who was hunting make him a hunter?

"'hunting' does not include stalking, attracting, searching for, or lying in wait for, wildlife by an unarmed person solely for the purpose of watching wildlife or taking pictures of wildlife"

TCA section 70-1-101(19)

Nealmeally

Getting deep here, I just know that if you are calling turkeys for someone that is going to shoot you are required to have a hunting license. In my opinion that IS hunting. Cause you are playing a part in getting the animal closer for a kill. You are aiding in taking the animal.

DeerKiller2012

CYA Spooker,
Them homeboys gonna show you what huntin whitetail is all about for 30 days.
I bet that arrogant attitude becomes humbled sooner than later ! Lol what an idiot . Obviously has tooooo much money . Glad they finally cranked down on some of the fakers . Anyone can kill , but ill take an 100" or less earned kill any day !

CAW

Nealmeally said:
Getting deep here, I just know that if you are calling turkeys for someone that is going to shoot you are required to have a hunting license. In my opinion that IS hunting. Cause you are playing a part in getting the animal closer for a kill. You are aiding in taking the animal.

I did not know that if you were calling for another hunter that you were required to have a hunting license.

Again, not picking sides, just trying to clarify the law.

Nealmeally

CAW said:
Nealmeally said:

I did not know that if you were calling for another hunter that you were required to have a hunting license.

Pretty sure I'm right on that. You are calling him in for a kill.

Southern Sportsman

CAW said:

I dont think you do. Not 100% but ive always though a non-licensed caller was allowed. I'll check on this. Now im curious

Latest posts