Doe patrol "just like it was drawn up" lol

themanpcl

Buckle up, another Harry and Charlie story (for those of you who remember Bassmaster magazine). So if you read the story of my buck kill, you know that I have a tendency to not be ready when I'm supposed to be ready. Today was no different. I have been wanting a couple does for sausage and snack sticks but every time I'm looking for them, they are avoiding me. Yesterday it was a buck fest. No shooters but not a single doe. Today was a skunk until about 4. I heard some shuffling of leaves only to see a tiny yearling at about 40. Watched her walk across in front of me, down a hill to my right and then back up right to 10 feet from my tree. I'm in a 16 ft ladder. She is upwind. Then I see about 70 yds down the hill to my right, another tiny yearling which proceeds to follow her same path to my tree. This one walks past her and behind me while the other one stays spitting distance munching away on acorns. I have both hands in my jacket pockets, sitting comfortably, gun as always resting with butt on the platform leaning against my leg. I'm just getting good video of the yearlings on the gopro for my daughter. No intention of shooting either. I hear some more rustling from where the first yearling came and look up to see a big ole floppy eared nanny. I pick her up at 35, hands still in pockets and gun comfortably against my leg. This nanny walks directly to my ladder. She veers off about 2 ft from it and begins to eat acorns. I have the 2 yearlings behind me (guessing hers) and shes under me. So, in stealth mode, because a few more yards and she hits my wind, I slowly bend over, get the gun in both hands, ease the safety off and in one motion get her in the scope. When I say "in the scope", I have no over/under scope mount, 3x9 scope is on 5 because I wasn't expecting a doe under me. So she is right below me to the point her vitals are the entire scope view. Making sure I don't blast my tree straps that she's almost against, I let loose. She drops immediately but I bolt another round just in case. She staggers 15 feet and drops. Now the fun. My processor is over an hour away. It's 4:15 and they close at 7. I get out of the tree, power walk the mile to the truck all the while knowing whats waiting. On the way in I saw a tree had fallen blocking the logging road I have to use to go get her (or pull her out a mile...lol). When I walked in, In my mind I knew, yup, I'll get something today now...lol. So I get to the downed tree and channeling my inner Hulk Hogan, make the tree go away. It was not chainsaw big but it would have made some good logs for the fireplace. I drive in like I'm in a race to the spot. Luckily she fell close to the logging road. I drag her to the truck, pick her up, and sling her 140# into the truck bed (which isn't as easy as it was 20 yrs ago). I drive to the creek to gut her, finish in record time (not my best work but I was in a hurry) and sling her back into the truck bed (much easier minus the guts). Funny thing, while I'm gutting her, truck lights on and radio on next to me, I hear a f@#^ing growl from the woods across the creek. I have yotes. My headlamp batteries were almost dead so I couldn't pick out eyes to pop a b^%ch but it never got closer. I left property at 5:30 and got to processor with 15 mins to spare. Didn't get exact weight but processor guessed 100# dressed so probably close to 140+ live. I will be getting sausage! And I'm going for another one tomorrow.

Attachments

• IMG_20240106_163904_01.jpg
    IMG_20240106_163904_01.jpg
    367.9 KB · Views: 16
  • PXL_20240106_223054584.jpg
    PXL_20240106_223054584.jpg
    508.3 KB · Views: 15

Snake

Buckle up, another Harry and Charlie story (for those of you who remember Bassmaster magazine). So if you read the story of my buck kill, you know that I have a tendency to not be ready when I'm supposed to be ready. Today was no different. I have been wanting a couple does for sausage and snack sticks but every time I'm looking for them, they are avoiding me. Yesterday it was a buck fest. No shooters but not a single doe. Today was a skunk until about 4. I heard some shuffling of leaves only to see a tiny yearling at about 40. Watched her walk across in front of me, down a hill to my right and then back up right to 10 feet from my tree. I'm in a 16 ft ladder. She is upwind. Then I see about 70 yds down the hill to my right, another tiny yearling which proceeds to follow her same path to my tree. This one walks past her and behind me while the other one stays spitting distance munching away on acorns. I have both hands in my jacket pockets, sitting comfortably, gun as always resting with butt on the platform leaning against my leg. I'm just getting good video of the yearlings on the gopro for my daughter. No intention of shooting either. I hear some more rustling from where the first yearling came and look up to see a big ole floppy eared nanny. I pick her up at 35, hands still in pockets and gun comfortably against my leg. This nanny walks directly to my ladder. She veers off about 2 ft from it and begins to eat acorns. I have the 2 yearlings behind me (guessing hers) and shes under me. So, in stealth mode, because a few more yards and she hits my wind, I slowly bend over, get the gun in both hands, ease the safety off and in one motion get her in the scope. When I say "in the scope", I have no over/under scope mount, 3x9 scope is on 5 because I wasn't expecting a doe under me. So she is right below me to the point her vitals are the entire scope view. Making sure I don't blast my tree straps that she's almost against, I let loose. She drops immediately but I bolt another round just in case. She staggers 15 feet and drops. Now the fun. My processor is over an hour away. It's 4:15 and they close at 7. I get out of the tree, power walk the mile to the truck all the while knowing whats waiting. On the way in I saw a tree had fallen blocking the logging road I have to use to go get her (or pull her out a mile...lol). When I walked in, In my mind I knew, yup, I'll get something today now...lol. So I get to the downed tree and channeling my inner Hulk Hogan, make the tree go away. It was not chainsaw big but it would have made some good logs for the fireplace. I drive in like I'm in a race to the spot. Luckily she fell close to the logging road. I drag her to the truck, pick her up, and sling her 140# into the truck bed (which isn't as easy as it was 20 yrs ago). I drive to the creek to gut her, finish in record time (not my best work but I was in a hurry) and sling her back into the truck bed (much easier minus the guts). Funny thing, while I'm gutting her, truck lights on and radio on next to me, I hear a f@#^ing growl from the woods across the creek. I have yotes. My headlamp batteries were almost dead so I couldn't pick out eyes to pop a b^%ch but it never got closer. I left property at 5:30 and got to processor with 15 mins to spare. Didn't get exact weight but processor guessed 100# dressed so probably close to 140+ live. I will be getting sausage! And I'm going for another one tomorrow.
Congrats on some sausage now 😉

Latest posts