Just Not Into It

Spurhunter

This is the first year we've had zero shooter bucks on camera preseason. I know that doesn't mean they aren't there, and I will probably force myself to go this weekend since it's November and I can tote a rifle, but I'm not excited. I guess that's the negative to trail cameras. I think I would rather go fishing honestly, but again, it's November so you never know. The buck I killed in December was slap full of corn. I called the game warden and told him about it. I said, "apparently one of my neighbors is baiting." He said, "it's probably more than one." I suspect the shooter bucks I'm not seeing are living fat and happy around a corn feeder somewhere nearby. I have always been anti-baiting, but I'm starting to question that. If they are breaking the law and seeing shooter bucks, and I'm following the law and not seeing shooter bucks, that just ain't right. However, the influx of people in the woods Saturday should have the deer moving around. I'm ready for the rut when the bucks don't care about corn and will be out looking for love.

backyardtndeer

The buck I killed in December was slap full of corn. I called the game warden and told him about it. I said, "apparently one of my neighbors is baiting." He said, "it's probably more than one." I suspect the shooter bucks I'm not seeing are living fat and happy around a corn feeder somewhere nearby.
I feel your frustration. I know baiting is going on here. Have seen the baiters with bags of corn in the beds of their side by sides on my road several times. Game warden here knew about it, I talked with him about it, but don't think he ever followed up. They would have to have a search warrant to even investigate now, pointless to even try to let the twra know about it.

Even though they are baiting around me, I have had bucks show up, guess that's part of what gets me back out there. Helps too when you all of a sudden start getting a decent buck on your cams.

timberjack86

I think the positives far outweigh the negatives, but there are negatives.
Not for me. I lost all interest in hunting. Then my buddies started killing a few bucks I was interested the year before. One was from my stand that the camera hadn't caught a picture of all year. I was placing to much faith in my cameras.

Kyboy

I think the positives far outweigh the negatives, but there are negatives.
100% agree to that, the only deer I would consider shooting has set up shop 1.5 miles away. I haven't had pics of him for a week, sure takes the anticipation of just thinking I will see him to almost knowing that I won't. Oh well I'm headed in right now for him or something new to walk by.

UTGrad

Not for me. I lost all interest in hunting. Then my buddies started killing a few bucks I was interested the year before. One was from my stand that the camera hadn't caught a picture of all year. I was placing to much faith in my cameras.

I have sat on stand many times and seen multiple deer, but not a single one walked in front of my camera. Had I pulled the card or opened the app, I would have assumed there weren't many deer in the area.

rem270

Like you said, they could be there just haven't shown on camera. It's hard not to get frustrated when not seeing them tho. As you know, I hunt KY where baiting is legal. Just not the 2 counties I own in and 3 more surrounding them for the last 3 seasons now. But even when I could bait I felt like I was wasting money this time of year on corn. I didn't even put corn out this time of year for several years. Where I'm at they'll pass up 1,000 lbs of corn to go find 1 acorn. Even if your neighbors are baiting right now, which I suppose they are, I highly doubt the mature bucks are standing over a corn pile. I've honestly never killed a big deer over corn.

rem270

I used to put corn feeders out preseason. I didn't get many mature bucks on camera during the day, but I would get some at night.
I've gotten pics during the day and night of mature bucks. But they have always been preseason.

But with all that being said. If they are baiting then it's illegal and I hope they get popped for it. Some folks just can't do things the right way.

TX300mag

I'm only running one camera right now and buck sightings are very sparse. But I know they're there and the bucks we'll see later this week will likely NOT be the ones we have on camera. The range shift between October and November is that noticeable.
And I really mean that to encourage you spurhunter

DoubleRidge

I run multiple cameras on our place and the second biggest buck I've ever killed we had zero pictures of....and that was in November.
Do whatever it takes to make yourself go in November...push yourself and have no regrets at seasons end.
Some will tell you that if you are tired or have lost the drive then its time to take a break...I say the next three weeks is absolutely not the time to take a break....hunt hard and focus....bucks couldnt care less about a corn pile right now...acorns and soon to be hot does are the focus....hunt hard!!

Last edited:

themanpcl

I feel your frustration. I know baiting is going on here. Have seen the baiters with bags of corn in the beds of their side by sides on my road several times. Game warden here knew about it, I talked with him about it, but don't think he ever followed up. They would have to have a search warrant to even investigate now, pointless to even try to let the twra know about it.

Even though they are baiting around me, I have had bucks show up, guess that's part of what gets me back out there. Helps too when you all of a sudden start getting a decent buck on your cams.
Yup, 1 neighbor with corn in the SxS baiting on my prop line. The other, when I'm are in my stand 300 yds from his property in the am and pm I hear the F#@^&ng feeder spin....(In TN btw so completely illegal) but funny, I still have good bucks and turkeys on my side. I have only set the cams for inventory cause I love seeing the pics...It's like Christmas every pull...For those that use them to determine whether to hunt or not and where...Gonna be frustrating most of the time...

backyardtndeer

I run multiple cameras on our place and the second biggest buck I've ever killed we had zero pictures of....and that was in November.
Yep, you never know. I had one I was after in 2019 that would be around and then go missing for weeks at a time. I ended up seeing him in December, but I couldn't get a shot on him where he was at. He came back around later in the morning, or so I thought, and I killed him. As I was walking up to him I realized it was not the deer I thought it was. The one I killed, I had never gotten any pics of until that morning, and he was actually a much better antlered deer. I had pics of him that morning though on two different cams a little over quarter of a mile apart in the river bottom, and at a scrape. One of my best deer, that managed to never get his pic made on any of the 4 cams I was running until the 2 that morning.

backyardtndeer

Yup, 1 neighbor with corn in the SxS baiting on my prop line. The other, when I'm are in my stand 300 yds from his property in the am and pm I hear the F#@^&ng feeder spin....(In TN btw so completely illegal) but funny, I still have good bucks and turkeys on my side. I have only set the cams for inventory cause I love seeing the pics...It's like Christmas every pull...For those that use them to determine whether to hunt or not and where...Gonna be frustrating most of the time...
The guy beside me and behind me both bait. Property behind me, the guy bought it a couple years ago, I have not met him, although I have pics of him on one of my cameras. What is so crazy is that the property behind me, the man has ag crops in on the other end of his property, beans this year. He rides his side by side at least a mile and a half from the ag crops to get in right on top of me where I have had stands for 30 years. The man has multiple properties and hundreds of acres. I only have this 60 acre farm and most of it is front of the house in pasture with cows on it. Sucks that they come in on top of me, but is what it is, maybe they will push deer to me.

Latest posts