Going super sub gauge this year

Uncle Jesse

Back in October I fell and hit my head good enough to get a brain bleed. I have no idea what happened because there is a space of time I can't remember at all. My nephew was there when it happened and I had to call him while I was in the hospital because I couldn't answer the doctor's questions about the fall.

Fast forward to opening day of duck season, I shot my SX3 20 gauge about 10 times and had a headache the rest of the day. After that I decided to not shoot anything bigger than my 410 for a while. Killed a mallard and a wood duck with it Saturday.

I patterned it with several shells when I first got it. The Winchester AA 2.5 load of 7.5's was the best and would easily kill a turkey at 25 yards but, I wasn't looking to turkey hunt with it at the time though.

Anybody else turkey hunt with the 410?

String Music

28e18f5b74bcfd5a0cee4aa8111ace3a.jpg

I killed one with my .410 last year. I handloaded TSS and highly recommend you do the same especially under your circumstances. I'm confident out to 40 yards with mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheLBLman

Andy S.":15q05nfp said:
As stated above, .410 loaded with lead good to 25 yards, loaded with TSS, good to 40+ depending on choke, pattern etc. Good luck with your choice.
I'd definitely look into loading some .410's with TSS.

Presume #9 shot TSS would work best for 40 yards?

String Music

TheLBLman":tu8nlymw said:
Andy S.":tu8nlymw said:
As stated above, .410 loaded with lead good to 25 yards, loaded with TSS, good to 40+ depending on choke, pattern etc. Good luck with your choice.
I'd definitely look into loading some .410's with TSS.

Presume #9 shot TSS would work best for 40 yards?

#9 is what I use.

Andy S.

For sub gauges (28GA, .410, etc), anything larger than #9 TSS is a waste of space and not needed. #9 shot size and smaller allows the hunter to maximize effective range and pattern density out of sub gauges, thus keeping safe and ethical killing distances the same as you are used to with the big bore guns (if not better). For a .410, I would load #9, #9.5 or #10, or a blend of them (TSS) and hunt.

One other thing to add: the penetration of TSS 9's is often equated with lead #4 at 60 yards. :cool:

TheLBLman

Andy S.":zceyns0m said:
For a .410, I would load #9, #9.5 or #10, or a blend of them (TSS) and hunt.

One other thing to add: the penetration of TSS 9's is often equated with lead #4 at 60 yards. :cool:

Well then Sir Andy the Dandy, SOUNDS like #10 TSS would be the way to go with a .410, strictly going for head/neck shots?
:D
Also, if using a standard full or less than full choke (say modified), would make even more sense to use the #10 ?

Nothing to do with .410 (20 gauge in mind),
but I'd love to see the Federal Heavyweights available in something smaller than a #7, i.e. wish they were available in a #8.

cowhunter71

Killed my first 20 or so turkeys with an old Winchester pump 410. Still have and hunt with it from time to time. Stock full choke barrel shooting old school Federal 3in 7.5's. Still have almost 2 cases of these old shells. Extremely deadly out to 25-28 yards.

Uncle Jesse

Andy S.":3q1temcg said:
Wow, that's impressive.

I don't reload so this will be a factory shell mission. I think it can be done

Uncle Jesse

FullSizeRender_zpstrf0fhlp.jpg

Ducks can be done inside 25 yards. This was with Federal 3" #6 steel. Very dirty shell and they have to be pushed in. Only shells I've tried that didn't just fall into the chambers of my double barrel.
Will be going to Winchester steel for the 410

Latest posts