Clear Cut vs Select Cut for max deer habitat

BSK

Highly successful small property habitat management is all about creating diversity. The more diverse the habitat, the more deer it draws and holds. Deer observations by hunters are also maximized in diverse habitat (especially close-range sightings; important to bow-hunters).

As others have mentioned, try to create as many different habitat sections as possible. Use terrain to your benefit (as a hunter) by creating habitat edges that run along preferred terrain. Depending on surrounding habitat, think about planting patches of pines. In a hardwood environment, small patches of pines are a gold mine. Leave strips of standing timber in the most likely deer travel routes around the rut (for better shooting opportunities).

I have no problem with clear-cutting. I recommend sections of it all the time. But I try to keep clear-cuts small in size, nothing larger than 20 acres. At years 4-6 of regrowth, clearcuts are impenetrable for humans but deer can run full tilt through them (how they do it is a mystery, but I've seen it occur more times than I can count). Very large clear-cuts are a problem, as deer can live in them full time. I've seen radio-collar data from a 5 1/2 year-old buck that never left the confines of a 60-acre clear-cut for an entire year. Not once did he leave the cover.

For the areas that are select-cut, the timber left standing will not be evenly distributed. This provides the opportunity to make small-scale patches of unique habitat in the areas with the fewest trees left standing. Fire, mechanical and chemical means can be used to keep these areas in perpetual early-stage regrowth.

The biggest problem with large timber cuts is that they lose their attractiveness to wildlife over time. They are excellent deer food producers, peaking in year 3 but fading to virtually nothing by year 6 or 7. Cover generally peaks in year 5 or 6, but then fades until almost no cover exists by year 15 of regrowth (pole-timber stage). Now what do you do with the area? Having long-term plans is the key. Diversifying the habitat for the long-term is the goal.

Boll Weevil

One other thought I haven't seen mentioned is "low-grade" the new tract and leave your best timber to continuing growing. Demand/prices for hardwood pulpwood is at or near 10yr highs right now if mills in your area are taking it. Have a crew pick thru and take mostly pulpwood and I bet even some that will still yield logs.

1643738942392.png

Last edited:

BSK

One other thought I haven't seen mentioned is "low-grade" the new tract and leave your best timber to continuing growing. Demand/prices for hardwood pulpwood is at or near 10yr highs right now if mills in your area are taking it. Have a crew pick thru and take mostly pulpwood and I bet even some that will still yield logs.
Only downside to that is 13pt said he has a limited timeframe to get timber out. Low-grading is beneficial only if you can go back in and cut the high-dollar trees 10-15 years later.

Last edited:

TRHC

BSK brought up a good point about deer not leaving a large cut. Long shooting lanes, think power line or gas line ROW here, would be a nice addition. Cross cross a couple across the entire property to take advantage of all wind directions and you'll be able to hunt those deer that just live and wander around inside the cut. These lanes could function as roads, food plots, and firebreaks as well.

13pt

Highly successful small property habitat management is all about creating diversity. The more diverse the habitat, the more deer it draws and holds. Deer observations by hunters are also maximized in diverse habitat (especially close-range sightings; important to bow-hunters).

As others have mentioned, try to create as many different habitat sections as possible. Use terrain to your benefit (as a hunter) by creating habitat edges that run along preferred terrain. Depending on surrounding habitat, think about planting patches of pines. In a hardwood environment, small patches of pines are a gold mine. Leave strips of standing timber in the most likely deer travel routes around the rut (for better shooting opportunities).

I have no problem with clear-cutting. I recommend sections of it all the time. But I try to keep clear-cuts small in size, nothing larger than 20 acres. At years 4-6 of regrowth, clearcuts are impenetrable for humans but deer can run full tilt through them (how they do it is a mystery, but I've seen it occur more times than I can count). Very large clear-cuts are a problem, as deer can live in them full time. I've seen radio-collar data from a 5 1/2 year-old buck that never left the confines of a 60-acre clear-cut for an entire year. Not once did he leave the cover.

For the areas that are select-cut, the timber left standing will not be evenly distributed. This provides the opportunity to make small-scale patches of unique habitat in the areas with the fewest trees left standing. Fire, mechanical and chemical means can be used to keep these areas in perpetual early-stage regrowth.

The biggest problem with large timber cuts is that they lose their attractiveness to wildlife over time. They are excellent deer food producers, peaking in year 3 but fading to virtually nothing by year 6 or 7. Cover generally peaks in year 5 or 6, but then fades until almost no cover exists by year 15 of regrowth (pole-timber stage). Now what do you do with the area? Having long-term plans is the key. Diversifying the habitat for the long-term is the goal.
I'm so glad you had time to chime in. Excellence advice. I walked the property this afternoon walking the most heavily used trails and watching terrain and prevailing winds to locate idea spots to manage. I'll target maximum diversity using many of the ideas y'all have shared. I'm not holding anything back. Money is not an issue on this project. I know 130 acres is too small to expect it consistently produce trophy bucks, but I'll make it a smorgasbord they can't resist!! Thanks again!

13pt

BSK brought up a good point about deer not leaving a large cut. Long shooting lanes, think power line or gas line ROW here, would be a nice addition. Cross cross a couple across the entire property to take advantage of all wind directions and you'll be able to hunt those deer that just live and wander around inside the cut. These lanes could function as roads, food plots, and firebreaks as well.
Actually crossed my mind as I was walking the property this afternoon. Found an excellent spot to create a power line like clearing and figured I'd just let it grow back in native vegetation and maybe spray or bush hog it every 2-3 years. There will be a criss cross of logging roads through it I can maintain as long finger like food plots. Thanks for the great input.

BSK

Actually crossed my mind as I was walking the property this afternoon. Found an excellent spot to create a power line like clearing and figured I'd just let it grow back in native vegetation and maybe spray or bush hog it every 2-3 years. There will be a criss cross of logging roads through it I can maintain as long finger like food plots. Thanks for the great input.
Excellent idea. And looks towards spraying to maintain. TVA used to bushhog my powerline Right-of-Ways every 3 years, but I was surprised at how little deer used those Right-of-Ways. Until they started praying them instead of mowing. Now that they're spraying to kill the broadleaf plants but promote grasses/briers/weeds, the deer are using them extensively. In fact, I'm going to start copying their spraying technique in some patches of my latest timber cuts - the areas that are like small clear-cuts, where patches of a few acres contain no trees I want to keep. I hope to keep these couple acre patches scattered here and there through the cuts in perpetual tall-grasses and annual weeds.

13pt

Excellent idea. And looks towards spraying to maintain. TVA used to bushhog my powerline Right-of-Ways every 3 years, but I was surprised at how little deer used those Right-of-Ways. Until they started praying them instead of mowing. Now that they're spraying to kill the broadleaf plants but promote grasses/briers/weeds, the deer are using them extensively. In fact, I'm going to start copying their spraying technique in some patches of my latest timber cuts - the areas that are like small clear-cuts, where patches of a few acres contain no trees I want to keep. I hope to keep these couple acre patches scattered here and there through the cuts in perpetual tall-grasses and annual weeds.
Copy that. Now that you mentioned it I have about an acre behind the back yard on a sloping hill I have bush hogged every 2-3 years to maintain our view. I've often wandered why my deer didn't use it much. Spraying it is.

Popcorn

2-Step Enabled
Cookeville, TN Cadiz, KY and random other places
In the state of tennessee if your land is land locked you have to be allowed a right of way for entrance and exit to remove timber, I wouldn't worry about the 7 year easement.
Good way to make an enemy of a neighbor! Besides if he has access to the property, he isnt necessarily land locked. Difficult to access does not equal landlocked. If the need arises talk to your neighbor then, cut it hard now and in 20 years its very likely owners or circumstance will be different. If your neighbor does allow access, they choose the route not you or the logger. Not to mention you pay the cost of prep, maintenance and restoration of any lands disturbed plus court costs if litigated. Your part of the timber might not be worth all that. Hit it now, again just before time is up.

DoubleRidge

We also have a large power line through our property.... mostly blackberry briar, honeysuckle, grasses and weeds...some areas are waist high with some being head high.....but we use both spraying and the bush hog with success....but when I say bush hog I mean once (or twice) a year we cut strips strategically in travel corridors where they naturally want to cross...so the strips increase visibility, create new growth and create edge....we do this in multiple locations and add new areas year to year....deer and turkey both love it......but I will admit.... spraying with ATV is less labor intensive and is quicker....one year I sprayed one of our plots in preparation to plant....work schedule and life prevented me from getting a summer crop planted in that particular plot....but just as described the natural weeds and grasses that came up we're impressive...and the deer used it.....but the idea of going into the timber .... into small clear cut areas and spraying....what a great idea.....I can get ATV or back pack sprayer into areas where the tractor won't go....great tool for maintaining and adding diversity....(but we won't talk about the current price of glysophate....still worth it though.... great return on investment).

Last edited:

DoubleRidge

Also, don't confuse a typical large "clear-cut" to
a conversion of a large acreage to oak savannah (which first requires a large mostly "clear" cut).

Great point LBLman....when our Forester presented his timber management plan he warned us about how two areas were going to look (10 to 15 acre each).....both of these areas were dominated by large poplar with closed canopy....he cut the poplar hard and left the smaller red and white oak....the grasses and forbs in these areas is amazing and now the younger oaks have an opportunity to grow....not pretty to the untrained eye.... but beutiful to the land manager....these two areas add greatly to our diversity.....other smaller ridge top areas we left solid stands of mast producers....very selective about what was cut....goal was to release the crown of the trees that remain.....then in other areas we performed a less selective cut allowing much more sunlight in to the forest floor....as others have mentioned...it's a patchwork of really thick to decent cover with small patches of open mature timber.... lastly we implimented hack-n-squirt to the less desirable smaller trees....very pleased with the diversity that currently exist....but back to the original point....I agree with you... sometimes what appears to be a clear cut (and ugly) has a very strategic purpose.

Ski

I'm so glad you had time to chime in. Excellence advice. I walked the property this afternoon walking the most heavily used trails and watching terrain and prevailing winds to locate idea spots to manage. I'll target maximum diversity using many of the ideas y'all have shared. I'm not holding anything back. Money is not an issue on this project. I know 130 acres is too small to expect it consistently produce trophy bucks, but I'll make it a smorgasbord they can't resist!! Thanks again!

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. My 100 acre woods is entirely over mature hardwoods in hill country. It was a deer desert before the first plot. First year I made a plot, deer moved in and stayed, including several big bucks. As I added plots, a couple mineral sites, a couple water holes, and some trail work, I now have around a dozen does and a dozen bucks calling the place home. It feels like bucks grossly outnumber does but it's because of all the visiting bucks who come through for a day or week at a time. This year I'll be doing some of the timber work. It's a work in progress but results happen pretty dramatically and pretty much immediately, in my experience.

That all said, even with a disproportionate amount of deer, you still have to hunt them. I'm doing some work this year to make more cover, more predictable movement, and more concealed access. But it's sure nice being able to pick and choose the deer I want to hunt. I'm like a kid in a room full of Legos, chomping at the bit with ideas. I truly enjoy the work more than the hunt.

DoubleRidge

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. My 100 acre woods is entirely over mature hardwoods in hill country. It was a deer desert before the first plot. First year I made a plot, deer moved in and stayed, including several big bucks. As I added plots, a couple mineral sites, a couple water holes, and some trail work, I now have around a dozen does and a dozen bucks calling the place home. It feels like bucks grossly outnumber does but it's because of all the visiting bucks who come through for a day or week at a time. This year I'll be doing some of the timber work. It's a work in progress but results happen pretty dramatically and pretty much immediately, in my experience.

That all said, even with a disproportionate amount of deer, you still have to hunt them. I'm doing some work this year to make more cover, more predictable movement, and more concealed access. But it's sure nice being able to pick and choose the deer I want to hunt. I'm like a kid in a room full of Legos, chomping at the bit with ideas. I truly enjoy the work more than the hunt.

Great point Ski....habitat work is truly a work in progress and it's a journey....as mentioned....with some projects you see immediate results...where others take time....also agree with you in that over time I've become as passionate about land management as I have actually hunting....killing deer in a bonus to what I already enjoy doing.

Ski

Demand/prices for hardwood pulpwood is at or near 10yr highs right now if mills in your area are taking it.

Pulp and pallet grades aren't just for paper and pallets anymore. The relatively new market of pellets is exploding. Not only are pellet grills and furnaces becoming increasingly popular here, pellet heating is HUGE in Europe, and the USA is supplying them. IMO, pellet market has yet to peak, so pulp price will continue to climb.

BSK

.but the idea of going into the timber .... into small clear cut areas and spraying....what a great idea.....I can get ATV or back pack sprayer into areas where the tractor won't go....great tool for maintaining and adding diversity....(but we won't talk about the current price of glysophate....still worth it though.... great return on investment).
I'll be doing all my spraying with a backpack sprayer, as the areas I want to work on are all on steep hillsides and are current covered in downed tops. Not areas an ATV or tractor could get into. Lots of labor will be involved, but what else is new?!

BSK

Great post Ski. It's amazing how true "Build it and they will come" really is. And I'm not all surprised by your comments on more bucks than does. I've seen this occur on several occasions. Usually it's one property with habitat being intensively managed surrounded by properties that are not. The managed property has good cover. The surrounding properties don't. I've heard hunters here and elsewhere say over and over that bucks will go to where the does are. This sounds reasonable and logical. However, in the real world, I haven't seen this to be the case very often. What I see in reality is bucks go to where they feel safest from hunting pressure, and that usually includes the best cover to hide in.

BSK

Great point Ski....habitat work is truly a work in progress and it's a journey....as mentioned....with some projects you see immediate results...where others take time....also agree with you in that over time I've become as passionate about land management as I have actually hunting....killing deer in a bonus to what I already enjoy doing.
As most land managers find out, the management becomes a bigger deal than the hunting.

BSK

Pulp and pallet grades aren't just for paper and pallets anymore. The relatively new market of pellets is exploding. Not only are pellet grills and furnaces becoming increasingly popular here, pellet heating is HUGE in Europe, and the USA is supplying them. IMO, pellet market has yet to peak, so pulp price will continue to climb.
I've got a brother that lives at high altitude in the Rockies. He heats his house with a couple of different wood-burning stoves, the main one being a pellet stove. He said the cost of pellets has skyrocketed and doesn't appear to be coming down anytime soon.

Antler Daddy

View attachment 127620
I don't know a lot about trees and that's why I used a forester to count, assess and bid out the select cut. Indiana Hardwoods ended up cutting about 40 acres of the 50. For some reason, they also chose not to cut a 10 acre spot on hill across small branch so it is still virgin. We did have some nice tall white oaks on a ridge.
The professional forester got us $95k and I think he got 10 or 15% of that amount. Next thing you know, some of the neighbors and relatives were also cutting some timber at the same time and using a local lumber cutter. Our cousin cut virtually the same type of trees to the ground and got paid $20k.

I don't know anything about pulp wood, but the junk trees that popped up and were thick during the early years are finally big enough for me to walk thru and hunt. I'm just wondering if cutting out all these trees might produce some income and leave my larger trees.

Attachments

• DF6FB9AC-B18E-4940-9D97-FE8E3FA2E032.mov
    12.4 MB

Latest posts