Pines being clear-cut

tellico4x4

I don't think so. The company that our guy deals with is in Waynesboro I think. Think it is owned buy a company and another company manages the properties. The owner owns several thousand acres in Hickman county, lewis, Wayne, Hardin and Giles counties that I know of.
That would be AFM who manages the property & GMO has the timber. Have dealt with AFM for over 20 years & they are the cream of the crop imo. Now, AMP is a whole nother issue.

Spurhunter

It's called 3rd-row thinning. They cut every 3rd row, leaving two rows standing side by side. Very common in the Deep South and a real boon to wildlife, as the strips of regrowth in the cut rows is great cover and food.

Disk are even made to turn the ground in 3rd-row thinnings. They have a wide, tall gap between the left and right disk gangs that will slip over the cut stumps. Worked on a place in Georgia that turned every cut third row into long, narrow food plots.
That's awesome. I wish I had one of those disks. Food plots > sticker bushes!

tellico4x4

It's called 3rd-row thinning. They cut every 3rd row, leaving two rows standing side by side.
The last three thinnings have been 5th-rowed with the remaining four rows being thinned as well. Certainly let's a ton of sunlight in & new growth to flourish. It's great for 1-3 years, after that the blame cat tails become 6-8' high & too thick to see in. We've started mowing the 5th rows for shooting lanes. What cat tails are doing on ridge top pine plantations, I have no idea...

JCDEERMAN

I don't think so. The company that our guy deals with is in Waynesboro I think. Think it is owned buy a company and another company manages the properties. The owner owns several thousand acres in Hickman county, lewis, Wayne, Hardin and Giles counties that I know of.
Ok - I was just wondering because Champion has land next to us and I've been wondering when they are going to cut their pines. Should be any time now.

Mattt

Ca
The last three thinnings have been 5th-rowed with the remaining four rows being thinned as well. Certainly let's a ton of sunlight in & new growth to flourish. It's great for 1-3 years, after that the blame cat tails become 6-8' high & too thick to see in. We've started mowing the 5th rows for shooting lanes. What cat tails are doing on ridge top pine plantations, I have no idea...
Cat tails or fox tail?

twcgo

once they replant the pines and they get up say 18 inches or so and weeds start coming back if you have a smaller tractor and a 4ft bushhog you can mow right in between the rows of pines and get couple more yrs of visibility in certain areas

muddyboots

It's gmo. It used to be champion and international before this.

BSK

Yup, two most common thinnings are 3rd-row and 5th-row thinnings.

BSK

Year 1 &2 of new growth they can be a magnet. After that it's thick cover and hunt the edges
Just remember that if they cut in the summer, consider that following hunting season as "Year 0." Don't expect any regrowth. Now if the cut in the winter, different story. For some reason, winter cuts produce astounding regrowth the first summer. Even more than the 1st summer the year after a summer cut.

Canyonfish

Grew up hunting timber companies land in south central Alabama, and when clear cutting pines occurred, usually several hundred acres, it was time to find a new spot. Hunting would become bleak, and when new growth started it was so thick and full of briars it was miserable. Not until they thinned and/or did a controlled burn was it huntable again. This was before Treestand's became widely available. They never had much appeal anyway as a mono landscape versus diversified landscape.

BigAl

When I was in Cancun last week I found out our lease is being cut. Its 900 acres, mixture of pines, hardwoods, and Ag. Not sure yet what they are cutting or how much. Not really looking forward to dealing with it. If I had somewhere else to go I'd bail out but probably going to have to stick with it.

Latest posts