Clear Cut vs Select Cut for max deer habitat

BSK

That brings up a good point too. Time of year.
Winter logging is by far the most damaging soil-wise. The loggers destroyed my road system. Still isn't right a year later. They cut massive ruts in the hillsides, which they did a decent job fixing before they left. But winter logging 1) brought us the highest prices; and 2) got a full season of growth in the cuts before the first deer season. We had no avoidance of the cut areas by deer the first deer season, as weed growth was over-my-head high.

Attachments

• logging14.jpg
    logging14.jpg
    238.6 KB · Views: 71

Boll Weevil

Rutting and compaction can have huge longterm implications especially in a pine plantation. On red clay sites I kid you not, running +80k lbs of log trucks over a wet road a few hundred times creates something akin to concrete when it dries. Skidders in the timber when it's too wet can compress soil to the point the residual stand sees stunted growth because roots can't penetrate. What appears as repaired roads on the surface may be like granite 8-10" down.

BSK

Rutting and compaction can have huge longterm implications especially in a pine plantation. On red clay sites I kid you not, running +80k lbs of log trucks over a wet road a few hundred times creates something akin to concrete when it dries. Skidders in the timber when it's too wet can compress soil to the point the residual stand sees stunted growth because roots can't penetrate. What appears as repaired roads on the surface may be like granite 8-10" down.
Our soil is already granite from the surface on down when dry. When wet, gray slop a few inches deep. Run a skidder over it and it's slop 5 feet deep.

Mattt

Winter logging is by far the most damaging soil-wise. The loggers destroyed my road system. Still isn't right a year later. They cut massive ruts in the hillsides, which they did a decent job fixing before they left. But winter logging 1) brought us the highest prices; and 2) got a full season of growth in the cuts before the first deer season. We had no avoidance of the cut areas by deer the first deer season, as weed growth was over-my-head high.
Exactly why I am cutting now. Quick growth and highest price. This property isn't too bad and has held up well. I repair myself as I'll do a lot better job than the loggers so what they damage is pretty much a non issue. I'm hopi g my first year growth is as good as yours. Mill closures about a month ago is gonna affect my next cut pretty severely it seems

13pt

Hey guys. Since I initiated this post I brought in the local wildlife habitat biologists to make recommendations and design a property management plan. If you've never seen such a comprehensive report conducted by TWRA, then you'll find a lot of golden nuggets in mine that will no doubt help you with your property management. I know a lot of what's in the report will just be a refresher to you veterans, but I feel most of you will learn some very important strategies and techniques, and may even be inspired to pursue such a plan on your own property of lease. Now, if I catch any of you looking up my property location and sneaking in to hunt my sanctuary, then just know I own 19 trail cameras and you will be identified and prosecuted...lol, but not really. Anyway, hope this adds lots of value to your future property management! See attached.

Attachments

• TWRA Property Management Plan.pdf
    5.2 MB · Views: 115

DoubleRidge

Looks like a nice plan. Working with our Forester we did the same thing. It's nice to have a plan on paper and good to have goals set.... I've just had to remind myself that it takes time and that land management is an ongoing process.... enjoy the journey.

Hridge

We've just purchased 77 acres that borders our 53 acres (so now 130 acres total). It has a solid stand of mature timber (probably 40-50 years since being cut). I'm meeting with a timber guy tomorrow so your advice is greatly appreciated. My goal is to maximize deer habitat. We will never have the opportunity again to cut timber because it came with a 7 year easement to take it out on the opposite side. After 7 years that's gone and no where else we can take out timber…so this is a one and done. I'm considering a clear cut. I know it looks bad, but I won't be able to see it from our house with a buffer of timber on our original 53 acres, so no issue with aesthetics. It's bordered on opposite sides by agriculture on north and south sides (rotating soybeans and corn). The east side opposite our 53 acres is mostly mature hardwoods. My understanding is I'll lose the first year of hunting to nocturnal movement due to no cover, but then comes on really strong in year two and forward. I'll probably even clear off about 2-3 acres in the middle and try to keep it bush hogged about every other year or so for fresh growth of native vegetation. Would love your feedback from those with first hand experience, either doing it on your own land, or having experience hunting other land done this way…versus doing a select cut. Thanks.
I wouldn't clear cut for all the tea in China. The farm next to mine was clear cut several years ago and it's a disaster. They have literally lost the farm to overgrowth and I don't know how they will ever get it back. If you clear cut and stump it, to turn it into pasture, that's a whole other deal. But if your doing it for hunting then no way would I do it. Only thing you can do if you clear cut is to creat and maintain roads through it that you can later disc for fire breaks. If you are diligent and burn it every 3-4 years it is somewhat tolerable but…..you loose your habitat. A clear cut is good for 2-3 years then it becomes so thick that both will use it. Good luck!!

13pt

I wouldn't clear cut for all the tea in China. The farm next to mine was clear cut several years ago and it's a disaster. They have literally lost the farm to overgrowth and I don't know how they will ever get it back. If you clear cut and stump it, to turn it into pasture, that's a whole other deal. But if your doing it for hunting then no way would I do it. Only thing you can do if you clear cut is to creat and maintain roads through it that you can later disc for fire breaks. If you are diligent and burn it every 3-4 years it is somewhat tolerable but…..you loose your habitat. A clear cut is good for 2-3 years then it becomes so thick that both will use it. Good luck!!
Yep, there's no clear-cutting in the management plan; however, there will be about 12 acres divided up into two separate sections where savannahs will be created. It's not going to be clear-cut as we've selectively marked certain trees to remain at the rate of about 10-15 per acre which are mostly unmarketable due to their shapes but consist mostly of oaks (chestnut, white, red, and post oaks). I'm bringing in a small dozer to carefully remove the slash from the timber cut and then we'll let this grow native vegetation that will be burned off every 2-3 years alternating one with the other. All this is by recommendation of the habitat biologist. Nothing on the property will be clear-cut. The remaining acreage will be select-cut down to about 14" in diameter.

Latest posts